Agnostic.com
4 4

Dunno how welcome I am here since your ancestors banished mine in chains a couple of centuries ago. But you know what they say about bad pennies. And we do share a queen although I'm not entirely sure why after all this time. My money is on Scotland seceding before we do. Anyway, all that aside, I was sitting here giggling at Detectorists wondering not for the first time, just how eccentric the English are.

I have to say how much I have enjoyed British tv and film over the years. America's Seinfeld bragged about being the first show about nothing. Rubbish! I recall Victor Meldrew spending an entire episode at his bedroom window complaining about the loud party next door.

Getting back to Detectorists, I'm about third or fourth episode in and there's a singing performance by the guy from Lovesick, Beast and Austen's Emma; no acting, he's just there to sing a song at the local and leave. I can't help feeling like you have about 150 actors, that are dragged out and rotated in all the shows. My mate and I usually get distracted from what we are watching while figuring out where we have seen a particular actor before.

Seriously the best actors in the world come from the UK. ANd the best thing to come from the pandemic has been the ability to watch the Brit National Theatre live for free on youtube. That has been such an amazing treat for me.

That's enough brown-nosing from me. I've got more episodes of Detectorists to watch.

MsDemeanour 8 June 5
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We do get the occasional TV drama from Oz in return. There was a series with an aboriginal detective which was good , You can keep Neighbours and Home and Away.
There are some good series from across the pond as well. I wish a UK network would buy "It's always sunny in Philadelphia".
There is a Canadian police drama being shown currently called "Cardinal" Brutal stuff'
I haven't watched The Detectorist but I am a fan of McKenzie Crook

Moravian Level 8 June 5, 2020

Although not strictly British, may I suggest Father Ted, I suspect that if you have not yet encountered it, you will love it, should you have seen it already, I'm sure you'll go back it soon.
Then, Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, I suggest the original series rather than the movie.

Sofabeast Level 7 June 5, 2020

oh trust me, i've seen them all. As a kid, I was indoctrinating watching government-funded free to air network (one tv in the household), which featured Brit and quality Aust content. It's still available thank Jupiter, cos I can't abide ads. Netflix fills any gaps. I didn't realise there was a Hitchhikers movie however.

I know what you mean about the revolving door of actors in UK drama, but that said, it is probably the best TV drama in the world followed by the Nordic Noir genre.

Geoffrey51 Level 8 June 5, 2020

Nordic Noir is my passion!. I'm over at the Icelandic group telling them how much I loved Trapped. 😉
(are there any Icelanders here at Agnostic.com?)

Of course you’re welcome ..so G’Day to you! We are an eccentric lot...not just the English, but they do it better than the rest of us! I think our two national institutions...the NHS and the BBC are both national treasures, and we have to protect them at all costs...especially from the Tories of Boris and his ilk! As I’m a Scot who lives in Northern Ireland, and not looking forward to a future under the Tories and out of the EU...I too think Scotland needs to get back to being an independent nation, unshackled from English nationalism. Although I dearly love our English neighbours, some of them (The Brexiteers) are quite unlovable!

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 25

Photos 58 More

Posted by MoravianTory Corruption ?

Posted by MoravianA Tory Christmas carol

Posted by MoravianAny takers

Posted by MattHardyA Boris promise is just a lie that hasn't happened yet. Whatever Sue Grey says, no way is Boris going to admit he lied and resign.

Posted by MoravianJacob Rees Mogg is one of my least favourite people in the world.

Posted by MoravianBoris certainly has his finger on the pulse

Posted by webspider555No trump to take the spotlight off him now

Posted by MannanWhat do you think.....?hahaha

Posted by McflewsterEVERY BORIS SPEECH [agnostic.com]

Posted by MoravianPolitics in the UK

Posted by webspider555All set to go well with the vaccination roll out

Posted by webspider555Vaccine already in production

Posted by webspider555If Boris is mentioned then I cannot rule out it being true

Posted by HawkeyeNew to this group, thanks for having me :) Thought I would share something that has had my poor wee atheist brain turning for a few days (the article is a few days old).

Posted by McflewsterWhere Religion ,Monarchy and Private Education meet. Taken from the Book "BOY" by Roald Dahl "Tales of Childhood" [agnostic.com]

Posted by webspider555I’m beginning to wonder whether our government is just incompetent or are all these things happening just to get us in a rage arguing amongst ourselves.

• Top tags#video #world #hope #religious #government #god #religion #church #DonaldTrump #Atheist #BBC #vote #atheism #reason #friends #death #politics #money #children #laws #agnostic #fear #community #book #minister #Christian #media #belief #society #faith #rights #parents #dogs #cats #beliefs #hello #Jesus #politicians #truth #Australia #weather #movies #Christmas #wife #conservative #Wisdom #Song #kids #USA #Europe ...

Members 387Top