Agnostic.com
3 0

re: Atheistnexus.org

Once in awhile, in addition to agnostic.com/humanist.com, I also try to use Atheistnexus.org However, while that site is somewhat maintained over the years, it seems to me to just kind of hang on and not engage in the sort of continuous upkeep/improvement that I'd like to see. Does anyone have their own views/experiences of that site?

kmaz 7 Apr 19
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am there, along with atheistuniverse.net. I have different usernames for each. I like both, but operator Richard Haynes on nexus, is only interested in cash, & doesn't participate unless he's begging.

They each have groups to join, making it much easier to share comments together. There is also a chat button at the bottom right of the page, but I'm not into chat.

I am Patricia on nexus, & Mrs.B on universe, both with different black cat avatars.

Thanks, good to hear your points.

It's interesting to me, but not surprising, that some others have never heard of it. I think atheistnexus is badly neglected/mismanaged. Richard strikes me as a guy whose initial site got some attention, and he had some fire for it initially, but it soon started to give off the stench of "It's a labor of love, but maybe not that much, I'm not willing to acknowledge the work it would take to take this site to the next level and I'm not willing to have someone on staff who is capable and empowered to get it there"

Agnostic.com is better than atheistnexus.org in my view, but IMO that's not saying "that much". On agnostic.com IMO there is a decent amount of room for improvement.

Never heard of atheistuniverse.net, have just signed up, application pending.

@kmaz When I first joined nexus in 2010, it was an active fun site with lots of people participatiiong & I made a good many friends there enough to exchange personal email addresses. I still email with them. I left the site when Richard got too bloody arrogant about the money thing, re-joined a year later but it's not the same as it was. A handful of friends are still there, but even they don't seem as enthused after the go fund me page was put up. I always thought go fund me was for desperate people in life threatening situations, NOT for begging for a website.

Stephen on universe, a moderator, has become a very good e-pal of mine from the UK. We've been emailing almost daily for years. It'll quite likely be him to approve you.

By the way, I want to add:

I do sort of like the idea of Richard's back-story. If I recall, wasn't he a Christian Preacher? So, I think that can make for an interesting angle, depending on what the atheist former-Preacher does with that energy and thinking, but goodness he sure seems to have blown it, at least that is how the site itself comes across. Maybe in other ways he is continuing to do very well.

The thing is, for me, having been involved in a business or two, with some online aspect, it galls me to see wasted opportunity and neglect of users' needs and failure to implement new and better ideas in an onward and upward sort of way. Get it done without being asked. Realize that your garden needs tending before being told. Show that you give a damn about the business and its future. So, that's a big part of where I'm coming from here when I criticize that site.

@kmaz Yes, he was...therefore the name brother Richard, which I hate, coming from mormonism. But when he began begging, he said he didn't care if he lost half of the memvbership on nexus, as long as he got the money. That's when I left. I only came back because some friends wanted me to, but I definitely don't give a shit about him after he stated he doesn't care about anything but the donations, & ''suggesting'' just how damn much each of us was to hand over each month.

@Lilac-Jade

Thanks, I was ok to pay a little money to use atheistnexus.org. I realize it may be that to do a good job to improve the site, it takes time and effort and maybe hiring others of significant ability. However, I was not ok with the obvious neglect of certain basics on the site, over many years. Taking an extremely quick look, I do see some slight signs of life (cleanup) but I'll have to look more closely another time.

@Lilac-Jade

you wrote: "...But when he began begging, he said he didn't care if he lost half of the memvbership on nexus, as long as he got the money. ..."

Ah, I didn't see this bit until now, I didn't realize how much he had come across as being blatantly all about the money. At the time I just perceived him as being honest and saying he had come to a point where he couldn't run the site without some money. It sounds like I just didn't understand what was going on there. As mentioned, I'm ok with a site asking for money, but it sounds like something was wrong there in terms of his attitude about it. I can see why you'd leave.

@kmaz Well I had donated a couple of dollars here & there, as many of we pensioners did, but nooooo that was not good enough. He wanted a minimum donation PER MONTH, & he didn't seem to realize that the Canadian exchange rate makes it quite a bit more for us to hand over when we could maybe need some eggs, bread, potatoes, etc.

Never heard of it...

never dealt with it

TheDoubter Level 9 Apr 19, 2020

Recent Visitors 18

Photos 95 More

Posted by Ray13I just joined this group, thought it would be best one to post something like this: Thought this might interest some of my fellow agnostics - I just donated my 160th pint (total 20 gallons) of blood...

Posted by misstuffyI leased out my crop ground last year for crops this year and last.

Posted by wolf041For those of you who are stuck indoors, I thought I would share a little side jaunt on my way to the grocery store the other day.

Posted by wolf041For those of you who are stuck indoors, I thought I would share a little side jaunt on my way to the grocery store the other day.

Posted by Reason-AbleI’m 54 and bored. I needed a project and decided to buy a truck and make it my project. I’ve been adding little mods to it every weekend. Any other vehicle enthusiasts in the group?

Posted by Observer-EffectInteresting.

Posted by WonderWartHog99After trimming up the crab apple tree, I loaded up the pick'em'up truck and headed for the landfill, Petunia riding shot gun.

Posted by WonderWartHog99Just hang this on the wall and you'll be safe.

Posted by flower_nutMy mother's best friend worked for the local newspaper and decided to dress me as a leprechaun and use it for Saint Patrick's Day. I was a smiling leprechaun, whatever that was?

• Top tags#video #god #world #money #church #religious #Christian #religion #hell #reason #sex #friends #Bible #mother #children #believer #truth #Catholic #guns #community #prayer #kids #moral #cats #DonaldTrump #cancer #fear #nation #Atheist #Police #alcohol #earth #schools #atheism #hello #evil #agnostic #death #holiday #USA #Christians #beliefs #pray #student #movies #college #hope #Canada #dogs #bullshit ...

Members 525Top