Agnostic.com
3 2

1980 TOP 30 SONGS OF THE YEAR - Springbok Radio, South Africa

...good old days 😊

TimeOutForMe 8 Nov 28
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I went to Johannesburg for 3 months in 1969 and I ignored the white radio as the Zulu radio was so much more interesting. But it was fun seeing Suzie Quattro again!

1969 was the beginning years of the Separate Development Act in SA, but our family was still living in a pretty much mixed area still (until we too got kicked out soon enough) . I was 7yo and in "Sub B", which is called Grade 2 now.. We stayed in Port Elizabeth, in an area called South End, opposite King's Beach back then. I listened to what my parents listened to which is called "goldie oldies" now 😊, so was mostly English songs. I can still remember those songs since 5yo😊. I listen to them on YouTube sometimes.

@TimeOutForMe OK I lied! I was based in Johannesburg but I did fly to Cape Town for a week, went to the Cape of Good Hope (I remember that line in the sea) and then took a week long bus trip up to Durban. I remember Port Elizabeth as being the most English place I visited and there being two or three British warships parked out in the bay. I made (East) Indian friends in Jo-burg along with left wing Witwatersrand (Spelling?) university students and worked closely with two Zulus for Roberts construction as I was employed as a surveyor on the Carlton Centre site. I still have a CC sticker on my safety helmet I have an IQ of 142 but Isaac and Phoenias were higher. Probably my happiest memory was Boutie Desai's parents giving three of us a 16 course dinner.The worst: Andrew Topping of Roberts cheating me out of several hundred rand.

@rogerbenham That visible line in the ocean at Cape Point is amazing. It's where the Atlantic and Indian Ocean meet without mixing. Now how about that?
Carlton Centre was still really beautiful when I got to Johannesburg to live in 1983. I know Roberts Construction as M & R ie Murray & Roberts. They're still huge in construction. You only got cheated with several hundred Rand??? 🤣 They might as well scrap the bloody Rand. It's useless now, got no power.

@TimeOutForMe Was there a company Murray and Stewart? Stewart is in my memory for some time. The CC covered 6 blocks - two on one side and 4 on the other. I set up bench marks for the ground level correcting the hotel surveyors. It was the biggest construction in the Southern Hemisphere at the time. Ten years later I was a top architectural mechanical consulting engineer and took part in designing three 500 foot office towers. Then I decided to stop being a somebody and become a nobody.
I knew about that ocean line and the swimming in the oceans from Cape Town.

@rogerbenham I can vaguely remember those two names (Murray & Stewart) together but not in Johannesburg. You've certainly made your mark being involved with a few construction wonders.
Don't ever say you're a nobody! 🤗

Just goes to prove that music is universal....most of these songs were hits all around the world. Yes...these were the soundtrack to most of our lives...with all the memories that they evoke.

Yes music is universal. I grew up speaking English and listened to English music.

There's two South African groups on there - Ballyhoo and Joy. There were many South African groups around at the time though.

@TimeOutForMe Yes...it would be the same here...we’d have had local artists or bands who sold well along with the international artists and imports, but nobody else would’ve heard of them.

I was 18 then and it certainly brings back good memories 😊

Lol, youngster!

@FrayedBear you are so right. I'm still alive and kicking 😊

@TimeOutForMe so'm I, youngster!😘

Recent Visitors 10

Photos 63 More

Posted by FrayedBearNow the sanctions against Israel spread to the Euroschism Song contest.

Posted by FrayedBearA recording of an interesting broadcast on the subject of coffee by relatively well known but nonetheless superb Australian folk singer Kavisha Mazella

Posted by kocasYou will face a hurdle in the daily weaving game that you must overcome.

Posted by Zoewees[shp.ee] SALDO SHOPEE GRATIS LANGSUNG CAIR 2022

Posted by ReignmondIt is tough to find sharable music from The Oppossums Of Truth. There are 3 full albums of Scientific Gospel music here. [boomplay.com]

Posted by ReignmondIt is tough to find sharable music from The Oppossums Of Truth. There are 3 full albums of Scientific Gospel music here. [boomplay.com]

Posted by ReignmondIcelandic Folk Music - Tyrkjaránid - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondOk...how about this hauntingly beautiful opera aria? [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondOkay, let's just say this is not like K-pop....and let it go at that. I stumbled on them about 3 years ago. [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondAn Irish song in Gaelic with translation [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondThe song title translates to I Won't Give Up by Hungarian Alternative/Indie band Intim Torna Illegál (Intimate Gymnastics Is Illegal). [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondGet ready for some beautiful music. I have a couple albums by Heartstrings. Sometimes I play them in the office and it is quite popular. [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondJapanglish Song - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondAVA Opera - The Doll's Song from "Tales of Hoffmann" - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondYoshida Brothers - Rising - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondHunnu Guren - Batzorig Vaanchig & Auli - YouTube

• Top tags#video #Song #world #Norway #musicians #traditional #hope #god #sing #friends #dance #hello #movies #religion #youtube #Europe #jazz #children #Australia #films #lyrics #religious #DonaldTrump #death #reason #Atheist #church #wife #USA #earth #book #relationship #mother #parents #hell #Russian #sex #soul #Christian #kids #money #community #culture #holiday #Jesus #beliefs #dream #plays #poetry #atheism ...

Members 1,322Top