Agnostic.com

5 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Does this mean that if I experience deep awareness and appreciation for the mysteries of existence it is only the firing of neurons, and that my experience is invalid? If certain neurons fire while I am looking at a work of art, does that prove there’s no such thing as art. If certain neurons fire when I am reading about science, does that mean science is bogus?

Wait, this IS science.

I used to believe those things. But I've come to see that though things can be reduced to firing neurons, that doesn't mean they have any less meaning. Meaning is a human creation, and it is something that we use to function as we do. Technically, money is just a piece of paper, or digits in a computer somewhere, or a piece of metal that we can't eat, but we all know what it is and does, and that fabric of agreement gives it its worth. It's the same with other meanings. Love means something to me other than the firing of neurons, and it does to a great number of other people as well. Therefore it is not the "mere" firing of neurons. #Ellatynemouth

@tnorman1236 Good Point. I like your analogy with money. Maybe the firing of neurons is symbolic.

Interesting article.
I'm not sure what they found (parietal cortex) is anything more than the specific processing center for specific stimuli though.

It probably evolved as a way to appreciate one's tribe, and is probably present in many mammalian species.

Now, that's an interesting extrapolation.

@bigpawbullets I love extrapolation and reasoned speculation.

That's depressing. Why do scientists have to unravel every mystery?

They will be breaking down love into chemical components next.

They started doing that years ago. Think Dopamine.

@Petter yep, dopamine n serotonin: technically the only two things you enjoy πŸ˜‰

Did you see my reply above to WilliamFleming? I tried to tag you in it, but I don't think it worked.

@tnorman1236

I've just read it. Thank you.

You always write so well. I agree with every word.

I especially like 'fabric of agreement'. That's so clever!

@Ellatynemouth Thank you.

They gonna have to masturbate me to get to mine. Columbia and Yale by separate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:100059
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.