Agnostic.com

43 4

Hello, First I need to let folks know that I am a seminary student at a post-modern spiritual/Christian ministry school. We believe that agnostics and atheists have a higher potential to reach the consciousness level that Jesus taught than most Traditional Christians do. One of our text books is "How to Pray Without Talking to God. I'm just here to learn (not proselytize).

Seminarian 7 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments (26 - 43)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I did a search and found this: [unitychurch.org]

Personally, it sounds like he's plugging a spiritual cult. Also, from my interpretation, you still have to be spiritual in order to get anything from this book/series.

No thank you.

I am seriously intrigued... I have been thinking something akin to this for a while and didn't realize it was an actual school of thought. Where can I get more information?

"Post modern spiritual/ Christian ministry"?Fuck sakes! You'd be better off riding a bike across the country for life enrichment!

Maybe I should ask you a question that I've pondered for years. Jesus was a Jew. Why would men create a religion around a Jew? I am Jewish by birth BTW.

Honestly I wouldn't care if the Messiah I praised to for 14 years was Oriental, black, arab, native American, white, Indian and/or semetic. Why does it even matter? The ethnicity of the main character of the hero myth. Once you understand that it's on par with other legends like Robin hood and Perseus why even ask that question but since you did I would say the answer is probably because Jesus is in the same book that threatens eternal damnation for not believing in it.

Are we the data points for a research project? Are you going to be quoting people within the body of a thesis? 'Cause that's the only reason I can think of to try to persuade non-believers that you are learning about the god (that is not a god, just an idea, right) that leads to higher consciousness. I'd talk to Buddhists about that kind of concept, myself.

Interpreted correctly (In my view) Jesus was a Buddha type figure. More specifically, he embodied the next level of human conscious development. Many of my fellow Seminarians believe he was merely a literary character, I disagree, but either way, he was an early example of future human potential. This was why he said greater works than these ye shall also do. As far as a research project, I'm not actually planning any research papers, besides Carl Jung, as well as the Transcendentalists pretty much covered everything I could say. I do believe, and have stated in my seminary classes many times, that Atheists and Agnostics possess a higher level of consciousness than most (if not all) Fundy Christians. I think that's obvious though. I have even offered comfort to fellow future New Thought Ministers who are married to Atheists by letting them know how evolved most Atheists I've met on here are.

I find discussions about morality somewhat irrelevant. there is morality and immorality and all of us are some of both. what difference does it make where it came from? is some morality more valid than another? do something with it, right or wrong, because it's nothing as an idea.

welcome., glad you're here.

Yes. Morality is different and one is better than another. In some societies female circumcision is moral, for example. But ultimately there is a true,superior form of morality. It doesn't matter where it's learned as long as it's learned.

don't confuse patriarchal prerogative under the guise of morality as real morality.

Welcome. I too was in seminary once a long time ago. I hope that we can be of help to you as you develop new ideas.

whew read all the posts and welcome to the group

why do you think people with these labels can reach this level of consciousness?

I don't know why everyone is arguing. I think whatever this guy is selling is awesome and I'm a God!!! Haha! I knew it!
(I'm sure that is not what he meant but I'm running with it! Also someone looked up the church and referred to it a a cult?? I'm totally down. But just if I'm the god and I DO NOT WANT TO BE SACRIFICED FOR ANY OF YOU)

Typical christian hypocrisy. To say you believe we have "a higher potential to reach the conscientiousness level that Jesus taught" is proselytizing draped in psychobabble. Then you tell us your not hear to proselytize Jesus F____ing Christ. ..

I don't feel that people who believe in talking snakes and donkeys, whales swallowing folks then spitting them out alive on the beach can raise my conscience level at all.

If your really here to learn take my advise. It's imposible to learn and talk at the same time. So be quiet, listen and learn.

If you're here to learn, which I doubt, I suggest you go to the website God is Imaginary.

Toni Level 4 Dec 26, 2017

One thing I'd like you to think about UnityBrad is your concept of "the power if prayer", If god is all-knowing, and Has A Plan, why do you think you could change his mind by praying? So you're actually saying "hey god, I think you've made a mistake here, could you change it? After all, I'm praying." So prayer cannot have ANY power at all (not even a little) if god is omnipotent. Don't make any sense, right UnityBrad?

Prayer cannot change the universal creative process. It can change you. That is the way it has always worked. The purpose of prayer should be to align your thoughts with a higher level of understanding. To use prayer any other way is the Vanity of Vanities (Futility of Futilities). Prayer does have curative properties for our health however, although you would probably be more comfortable describing it as a placebo effect. Either way it works if done affirmatively never from a mental place of lack. Pray as if you've already received your healing. Never beg or bargain.

@UnityBrad - oh boy. You're just talking about thinking. I do it everyday. With no help from any "higher level of understanding". Just common sense. Sorry I won't ever be praying.

@Agnostic1 I am talking about positive thinking. Any technique that helps you achieve that is equally effective. I've recently been experimenting with EMDR videos on YouTube. They seem to work faster than meditation or prayer. You just follow a balloon or something around the screen and stay focused on it while it shows you positive messages. BTW. The best definition of"Enlightenment" is discovering the truth without being angry or depressed about it. That's my goal in a nutshell.

@UnityBrad Oh double boy! Can't you think of something else to do with your time? Like finding a cure for cancer or stopping human trafficking? So much time wasted on trying to find "enlightenment" by watching a balloon or staring at your belly button - when you could be doing something useful!

So have you learnt anything yet UnityBrad?

Interesting that you use the terms agnostics and atheists as if they both relate to belief as they address different things. Does your premise also assume that Hindus and Bhuddists have a greater potential to reach the conscious level (whatever that is) more than most Christians. If so, then why are you a Christian? Is it because that as atheists we are free to make our own decisions based on reason and evidence rather than what a bunch of 2000 year old story books tell us?
Could you please clarify what you are trying to say as you post makes no sense to me at all.

What I mean to say is that the way Traditional Christianity is taught, it offers little room for individual interpretation and therefore can hinder ones spiritual (consciousness) growth. The reason I consider my self a Christian is because after studying the Hebrew Symbolism used in the construction of the New Testament, I believe the original message of Christianity was similar in many ways to both Buddhism and Hindu. Why wouldn't it be? The entire middle east was thoroughly Hellenized by the first century and influence from eastern cultures would be logical to assume. BTW. When I say consciousness, I just mean clarity of thought.

Buddhism and Hinduism have little in common with Christianity and certainly weren't hellenised by the first century. Hindu is a polytheistic religion and doesn't have any christ like gods in their beliefs. And Buddhists are essentially atheists. If you are looking for spiritual enlightenment, then Buddhism is the way to go. For me, there is no higher consciousness, there is just consciousness - what else do you need?

That is a fresh and more pleasant way to interact . I appreciate that recently I have been saying love like an atheist . Then its not some so called religious person with there alternative agenda. Generally this is linked to two things 1) others with a different belief system are wrong or 2) one political party or nationality has more relevance then the other. I read thru that and some of the most giving selfless people the type that would march in the civil rights movement even as that was against the norm . So you might have a priest who is committed to his beliefs marching w Martin Luther KING a man of God. Then of the non clergy marching many of whom now areX pats of the church and likely atheists. Though they still donate and believe in things that are for the better of man and mother earth. I have a hard time taking the current administration and its supporters who claim to prioritize there christianity. Every policy and day this president does what ever is the meanest most selfish act. humanly possible as a group of are populous supports in the name of christianity. So if there is truly a loving creator who knows all . I am of the opinion those that are either less or not affiliated with christianity will be viewed more moral, selfless and loving of all creations.Then those who are saturated w a religious belief and fixating on its ways and being brutal to all that disagree and quite honestly likely brutal to folks with similar believes.

Interestingly, a friend of mine once indicated that my actions are a lot more like what Jesus taught than any of the religious people she knows. I was flattered and amused. 🙂

There is a fox in the henhouse. Lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10048
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.