Agnostic.com

37 6

Do u think it's possible to recover from a neglected childhood????

Hello. I know this isn't about religion or philosophy but id rather hear experiences or opinions on the subject . Without giveing to much detail or making this to long of a post in a new York minute I'll briefly explain the question . I grew up parentless. One parent was abusive. I start therapy soon takeing a anti depressant and also good news is I'm able to talk to my mother about what exactly happened and why she wasn't there . I know it'll never fully go away the memories however I hop with help I can get to a point where it's more tolerable . Thanks

DavidDeLa89 6 June 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've thought about this myself. I believe childhood neglect causes damage and leaves scars. I hope something can be done. Good luck.

We all have "baggage" we could live without, try thinking about it in a different way. I overcame my childhood traumas by believing that unlike the story my catholic mother told me ( I am human and have a soul) I believe I am spirit having a human experience and before being born I chose my parents and siblings for a special reason, because I needed to have that particular experience early on in my life in order to become the adult I am now. It really helped me when I think of my life this way. I stopped blaming and started taking responsibility for my every action and thought. Maybe it can help you.

Yes you can! My father served from 1965 to 1971. He was a extreme alcoholic that was abusive. I was sexaully mollested when young many times by 2 baby sitters. I was constantly picked on in school. I take it the 89 was the year you were born. I was born in 84, and it takes years to get over. Now I talk to my dad all the time. The other two bitches can go sodomize themselves. lol You can get over it! Takes time, and maybe a therapist will help.

I wish I could say that I know how you feel, but I don’t. I empathize with you and wish you only the best. It is sad that children must suffer under an unfit parent. We have tests to drive a car, we have test to fly a plan, we have tests to be an Accountant, you can’t be a childcare worker without passing a test but anyone can be a parent. There should be mandatory classes in school and after in order to be a parent. The most important job that we will ever have. I hope you get through this are live a good and healthy life.

Prime Example: Dave Thomas, founder of the Wendy's chain. Adopted from an orphanage at age 10.
You can Never change the past, only destroy the life you actually have by wishing you could.

acceptance and forgiveness and realizations sometime come with age and experience. When I think back I can see the reasons for my actions. too late of course lol

It is possible, not even hard, and I speak from experience. My mother dies when I was young, I hardly remember her My father was on not abusive, but had no time for me. I doubt we spoke 500 words to each other by the time I was 18.

I decided to basically ignore him. I set my own goals and have achieved all of them and more. I've been married once, to the same wonderful woman for 41 years. We have on child, who is dong very well in life.

Life is truly what you make of it.

you lucked out man
its not always so easy

@whiskywoman I agree it life is not easy, it requires effort.

Indeed the memories will not go away. The key is to get to a point in which you can stop every now and then and think about them, on your own terms, and then go on with a good life. I sincerely can tell you that it is never too late to have a good childhood, only now you are your own parent. Yes, you can recover, and it looks like you have already taken the first steps.

Recover, to a large degree, yes. Our past is monumental in defining who we are. I could write a book about the childhood of a few of those I know. I wish you good outcome in your adapting to a better mental state.

Yes, there's healing. One way is to recreate painful memories with fake good memories, by imagining what should of happened. At first, I thought it was total bs and crazy talk, but it has proven to help with my painful childhood memories. There are so many other methods, it's all worth trying...

We all have "baggage" we could live without, try thinking about it in a different way. I overcame my childhood traumas by believing that unlike the story my catholic mother told me ( I am human and have a soul) I believe I am spirit having a human experience and before being born I chose my parents and siblings for a special reason, because I needed to have that particular experience early on in my life in order to become the adult I am now. It really helped me when I think of my life this way. I stopped blaming and started taking responsibility for my every action and thought. Maybe it can help you.

At 70 years old and a life childhood abuse and neglect I am feeling okayish I have a dx of 'dissociative identity disorder' and that doesnt kick in as much as before except if there are specific triggers. I think I kept myself okay by constantly moving something I havent done now for about twenty years- I have a partner with O.C.D and that helps also I am busy all the time till I drop in the armchair at night to watch some T.V - with partner - managing is everything - Both of us pretty much manage every minute of our life but its really good now.

jacpod Level 8 June 12, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:100621
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.