Agnostic.com

19 2

What about weird people?

I have noticed, at least where I live, that a great many of those who profess themselves to be agnostic or atheist are also some of the most maladjusted, socially inept characters around. I did belong to one group in particular who actually referred to themselves as bastards.

Is this a chicken or egg thing?

I hope to find a place in America where people are actually agnostic or atheist or something secular without it being a response to some major infirmity or weirdness. Thats one thing that sucks about being agnostic in America.

JeffMesser 8 June 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my experiance only the insecure profess themselves. I am yet to meet anyone who is without infirmity or weirdness. Maybe not on first pass, but get to know them and something will be there. Viva la deference!

Yeah, what about us!? Oh wait... you’re trying to be normal. Oh. Never mind then ?

I have observed the exact opposite correlation. The Atheists I know are representative of the smartest, most honest, and successful people within the range of those I know. I'll grant you within those ranks are some that think out side the box but when it comes to what I consider (to quote you) "maladjusted, socially inept characters around" That title falls clearly in the "theist" camp of those I know.

Yeah we may have more interesting 10 in 1 carnival show type freaks which is great but the truly warped people I’ve met were all Christians.

@Wurlitzer The Christians don't have a monopoly on ". . .the truly warped". There are lots of other religious that base their "Truth" on claims that contain no evidence and facts. with equally deranged followers.

@NoMagicCookie oh I know, I am just relatively lucky in that I only have one type of lunatic in my backyard to worry about usually.

I have been called weird for most of my life. People seem to need labels for those of us who refuse to conform and rebel against "normal". I have noticed that some people try for weird. Sometimes they try too (?). I'm okay with weird. I've been called a lot worse. (And I prefer 'socially awkward' lol)

If you are not a sheeple, you Must be weird? Sounds like a personal problem.......

I think we're all a little weird, it just depends on the degree. Weird just because you have quirks is one thing; wrapping yourself in it and trying hard to be weird for the sake of being weird is another. I know in some areas I'm weird; in others I'm blandly normal.

Who made you the judge of normal, something I don't believe exists anyway. You can leave the site, and l don't think it will hurt anyone's feelings. What you deem the 'weird' are generally the most interesting folks.

I've always prided myself on being thought of as weird by many of my favorite people. And I make no excuse for it . Being that "weird" is a highly subjective term anyway - have you considered that YOU might be considered weird by others ... if it "sucks" being here, the solution is well within your grasp !

Being maladjusted and socially inept doesn't necessarily make me a bad person.

Your posting still eludes me..... are you asking or are you saying?. One level deeper, what are you asking? And even worst, what are you saying?

Be the change you want to see in the world. Are you also 'maladjusted, socially inept'? If not, become a role model for those you meet who are. Don't patronize them. Instead, offer them succor, open your heart and mind to helping them heal, give them acceptance. You can run around tirelessly looking for an oasis or you can root in place, build your community from the ground up. A social experiment to last your entire life. I'm doing it. It's quite fulfilling. Please post follow up as you find your connections. Best wishes!

Agnostics and atheists are typically higher IQ than the general population, and the higher the creative IQ, the more mental issues appear on the DNA.

Furthermore, other studies show that the more the gender characteristic sliding scale moves to the middle-the more androgynous the person is, statistically, the higher the IQ, on average.

The extreme ends of the gender characteristic scale...the most "femme" women and most "macho" men, are the most successful at long term relationships and raising progeny, but have the lowest IQs, on average.

Creative high IQ people are often obsessive, either socially clueless or indifferent, pursuing their projects more than social interactions. These are often the typical "nerds" mocked by popular jocks.

Yeah, what she said!

Yeah, they are the bane of society. I just made a post of how idiots breed more than intellectuals. I don't want to be around them. It's that simple.

I would guess that there are a lot of agnostics and atheists who are not recognizable. I would say that most of teh people with whom I am acquainted have no idea I am. It just never comes up in the conversation. And while I am somewhat weird, that's something I cultivate just because I don't have a lot of time to worry about fitting in to others' expecations.
I looked and I believe you live in Oklahoma? Yes, I would guess there are a whole lot of places in the US where there are a lot more people who are unidentifiable as secular than anywhere near the Bible belt or the South.(Sorry if I'm stereotyping.)

I was a Christian for 50 years and attended church several times per week. I always wondered why God chose so many goofy people as his followers. Now that I am an Atheist the quality of my social contacts has improved tremendously.

I'm sorry you've had such awkward experiences. IRL most of the atheists I know are highly logical technical people or scientists.

I've always considered myself fairly normal and well adjusted. Everybody has issues, though.

Deb57 Level 8 June 7, 2018

Then leave ! No one is forcing you to stay ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:100869
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.