Agnostic.com

85 11

Meaning of existence

When I was a Christian, my Christian parents told me that my existence has a meaning. Now I do not believe in a god, at least not the kind of God mentioned in the Bible. I know there is good and bad human beings in believers and non-believers. My question is : how can we be happy if we,atheist, think we have no meaning for our existence?

delilah 5 June 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

85 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is no inherent meaning. We have to create our own.

This

Marz Level 7 June 7, 2018

If you want to know the meaning of our existence, look to an Astronomer. “The sky calls to us.”

Or....Check out James Taylor, "The Meaning of Life". ???

I'm perfectly happy with not having any 'meaning' to life, but life does have a purpose: to propagate itself. So, yeah... Have kids and you're doing what your DNA is there for, otherwise you're really just a brilliant consequence of microscopic protein machines doing their thang.

Look, you're in exactly the same boat as dandelions, eagles, oak trees and every other living thing, and 'meaning' can be whatever you decide it to be... And here is a wonderful thought: at least you now have more meaning to your life than to be a subservient minion to some dominating force that you must fear and adulate because it holds your fate in its hands.

You are outside of the lie; you are free; your life is entirely your own and the Universe is astonishing. Throw your clothes off and run into the lake with yer bum on display... It's a glorious sensation! ?

I would suggest that having nieces or nephews to help raise would also directly apply to that type of selfish-gene reasoning.

Yet why stop there? Why do we say that genes 'assume' that families & species are in a zero-sum game with each other over Gene propagation and survival amidst limited resources?

I would simply suggest that the non-zero is more proliferate than some might think. Obviously this is substantiated a little in commensual relationships, but what if it is also showing up when I see beauty in a woodland stroll or the odd cross-species friendships that happen.

The only purpose to life is what you make it. My kids are my purpose and make me very happy.

The meaning of our lives is the love and DNA our parents gave us THERE IS NO MAGIC alleget gawdly plan or morals existing in reality. ...we learn ethical behavior from best teachers and professional peers....2nd generation Atheists are the lucky people in that "meaning" as we Atheists escaping from 1st generation delusion believing are carriers of the nightmare of faith

Objectively, the universe does not care. Ergo, there is no meaning.

However, subjectively, WE care. Ergo, we give meaning to things. As atheists, our meaning is found in our values.

The theists argument is circular. I have no "meaning", I just exist. Like all the rest of us. Given that, I do the best I can as should we all. We are all our own god. It is liberating.

Our own god...true.

I'm happy to be delusion free.

In my opinion, our meaning is what we make it. What we do HERE (on Earth and alive) matters.

I feel the meaning of life is simply that we are here, and we get to choose every day how we want to live. To me that means focusing my time and energy on the things that give me fulfillment and the people I care about, and wanting to leave something good in the world.

What meaning we have in life we create by our own choices and actions. It is up to us.

Life may just be an efficient process for dispersing energy, but isn't it grand to look at the stars on a clear night away from the city?

We can think for ourselves, that what gives our lives meaning.

I'm Agnostic, and I do feel that my life has meaning.

Does the fact that you may not receive the magical reward of going to Heaven/ Nirvana etc. mean that what you do and achieve in life mean any less? It could be argued that in fact it's the opposite: this world is all we have and all we make it; so we should make our life count!

@girlwithsmiles I agree with you. We shouldn’t need a reward later to make us want to be good people now

Just because you don't believe in a mythical god doesn't mean your life is devoid of meaning and happiness. Don't buy the trick assumption of the question.

And the mice weren't happy

@jwd45244 what a terrible waste of a planet, blooming red tape.

Meaning is what you make of it

I hate to sound harsh, but to me, the question itself is ludicrous. From a scientific standpoint, we all are links in a chain that supports an ever-evolving life cycle on this planet. From a spiritual standpoint -we are here; shouldn't that alone be enough? If there is a higher purpose behind the existence of each and every human (or - let's expand that to soul and include all sentient life on earth) then that means there is a higher being with a web of pre-determined plans, making us all pawns in a game on a scope so large and timeless that we are simply incapable of seeing it in any meaningful scope. So, in many ways, the question itself begins to grow so vast that we could never begin to comprehend the answer even if it were handed to us with an outline and summary explanation page.

So, I look to give my life meaning by raising my children to be happy and well. I work toward meaning by being kind to others, by defending those who cannot defend themselves, and by working to bring peace to the lives around me. And if that fits into a more 'grand plan' on a cosmic scale, so be it.

One day, I will die. I will either completely cease to exist, or my consciousness will continue in some form that is beyond what we can know. Regardless of which is right, I can't spend my life worried only about an afterlife; that misses the point. Live for each day; love where you can; create art, literature, teach children, grow old. Dance. And if there is a deeper meaning to it all, even in an afterlife, at least you won't have wasted your life wallowing in a mire of feeling meaningless. Find your joy, and you've found all the meaning you need.

The meaning of your existence is yours to decide. You don't have to worry about an imaginary punishment or some fairytale kingdom in the afterlife. You don't have to appease some mythical being who demands absolute obeisance.

You can choose something to work toward or to focus on leaving the world better than you found it. It's your life. It's your call.

JimG Level 8 June 7, 2018

Meaning is the first and most vital thing believers surrender to "God". Absent a God, it is up to the individual to find a way to make life mean something. There are many ways to do this, but it has to be your answer, not someone else's.

I've never understood why it takes a god to give your life meaning, and how does it give meaning to your life? I asked my wife once what she got out of religion, and she said "it gives you hope" I asked her to explain what she meant by that, but she couldn't. Do you have no hope, just because you don't believe in an imaginary being?

I think that is the beauty of being free from the oppressive Dogma of religious beliefs. You choose how to give meanings to your life. If you seek to be part of something bigger than yourself consider this: We are all made of "Star stuff". The atoms in your body came from an exploded star and when we die and the earth is no more our atoms will return to the cosmos. They may combine to form new life on another world but regardless they will go on until the end of time. To me that is better and more beautiful than any made up story.

Really? If you think you can come round here and ask all kinds of deep profoundly agonizing questions, and others will respond with reason and kindness and insight, then you are in the right place at the right time.

Of course we can.

Why do you need a 'purpose' in order to enjoy life?

Just listen to good music, read good books, watch good shows, enjoy the company of good people, eat good food, make a fuss of good dogs, look at good art, walk through good scenery, and generally be a 'good person' so you help your fellow humans do all those things too.

And other than that - chill out.

Honestly, what else matters?

You are here. You might as well do something. Not that complicated.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:101011
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.