Agnostic.com

34 6

Are atheists a growing population?

Hello! I am wondering if the atheist group is growing in population in the US or other places in the world? What contributes to this? Is it new, or does the population fluctuate due to other factors?

EdSwan 4 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The internet has been a big part of atheism growing globally, the freedom of information and improvements in education have all played a part. It is believed there is a significant number of closet atheist but this number can only be estimated. The word atheist gets googled more often at certain times of year and are increased by news articles (about bill boards etc) so that fluctuates but the trend in beliefs is showing a steady rise in the number of people world wide calling themselves atheist/agnostic or without faith. obviously in different countries the growth is slower than others but there is still growth in general.

Dav87 Level 6 Dec 23, 2017

I hope so.

It's like the "me-too" movement. Not so much growing as people feeling more comfortable to admit it perhaps

lerlo Level 8 Dec 23, 2017

I hope hope hope so!

My understanding is that atheists are a growing proportion of the population in the western world, but that in other nations - notably strongly muslim nations - the combination of high birthrate and religious intollerance means that islam is the growing population there.

Perhapse someone else has the figures?

Yes, without any doubt - atheism is definitely on the move worldwide - the "nones" are the fastest-growing religious group in the USA. The reason, by and large, is the internet - the place were religion comes to die (thank the FSM).

It is growing, but extremely slowly. In many places and many lives, our lack of faith is unexceptionable or outright hated, to the point where many here keep it a secret. That is truly sad!!!!

To the best of my knowledge, tho it may be off by a few years, is that "Nones" are the fastest growing "religious" category, at least in the US. Europe already has a large agnostic/atheist population, tho that may be shifting due to the recent huge influx of refugees.

In the U.S. it appears the younger generations are less religious and that atheism is growing. At least that is wha I have heard on NPR and read online.

In Australia, there are no figures specifically for atheists: the closest is 'no religion', which isn't quite the same thing. But taking that as a guide, it looks as if it is true here. The percentage of the population claiming 'no religion' increased from 21.8% in 2011 to 29.6% in 2016.

Yes, studies of such things show steady increases in atheists, agnostics, “non-affiliated” and others who are walking away from religion.

I think it is. I am reminded of history. The Greeks or Romans all believed in the pantheons of gods. Zeus, Thor, Odin. I love mythology but that is all it is mythology. Biblical mythology included.

16% of the US population are atheists. The world population of atheists is much higher.

Growing in the US more slowly than the rest of the world, because,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sheeple?

I sure hope so. I believe atheism is the next step in our evolution as a species.

I think it is growing because we are proving more religious stuff to be the bullshit it is.

All the polls I look at show that it is growing rather quickly. I am wondering how the current political climate with evangelicals supporting Trump and Republicans will play out. I personally know folks that have begun to doubt religion, especially fundamentalism, because of the hypocrisy evident in the Republican party.

gearl Level 8 Dec 24, 2017

The young ones are. Old farts like me are the dying population.

I wonder, when I look at the number of old farts on this site. Some of us are wising up too.

It definitely is. There are lot of people still who are waiting to cross over but are afraid mainly due to the family and also in some case due to the religion they follow which does not allow apostates.

Atheists, like a huge assortment of other minorities, are experiencing empowerment through our enhanced search capabilities to find peers. I don't feel that the number of atheists is increasing as much as the decrease in fear that we feel from realization that we have so many who feel as we do is allowing us to be more candid.

I have seen data that we are growing in numbers, although that may be more of a reflection of us 'coming out' than real growth.

Gary Level 4 Jan 3, 2018

Actually the non believing population is growing and I blame it upon the internet. Knowledge is so much easier to obtain and all it takes in one interest friend to share the right thing that makes a believer to question what they think and it's over. I give it another 3 or 4 generations before all major religions are dead and only cluts exists. But there will always be a belief system that pertains to deities.

Polls suggest that "nonreligious" is the fastest growing segment. Atheists are part of those numbers. In the US it is said that 20% now identify as nonreligious which makes it a force to be watched, up there with the monotheistic numbers.

From what I have read, according to polls is that folks aged 40+ still maintain their religion. The majority of anyone less of that age had become skeptical, turned to an unbeliever or are religiously unaffiliated. So the % of nonbelievers has risen twice as much the last twenty years as opposed to over two decades ago. Depends on the polls really, but the last ones I read have the unaffiliated at around 45%. The main reasons is that the younglings have been growing up with facts and science ????

An interesting question that you raised here and I wonder are you thinking of switching sides?...LOL I mean, would it make any difference if you were the onlly atheist in the world? If so, how would you conceive of that difference?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10114
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.