Agnostic.com

20 3

How has your life improved since leaving religion?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I HAVE SUNDAY MORNINGS TO WATCH EAST COAST NFL FOOTBALL.. and i don't feel obligated to the suit or sports coat.... after all its the day of rest, right why a tie, when i can still be in my bath robe?. r

Don't have worry about a deity(which doesn't exist) above watching my every move I make, sleeping in on Sundays, more money to work with, not feeling ashamed about my sexuality, and throwing the book of mormon in the trash felt pretty good as well.

I was never religious in spite of education departments best effort

I get to sleep in on Sunday mornings

??

I haven't had religion for all my adult life. I just don't believe that there is any sort of higher power. Life is just one coincidence after another.

I had a tremendous sense of relief. No more struggling to reconcile the evil, bloodthirsty, lying Hebrew god of the Bible with his supposedly being a "god of love."

I kept the best parts of my religious upbringing. When I found the courage to be true to myself I felt liberated. Life gets better and better.

Liberating

I was never part of it, luckily.

No more guilt or fear of eternal hell fire.

I was about to grow up so you figure it out.

It made a significant difference for me but it took years to get rid of the habitual shackles. My mind is free of constant guilt and apology and instead, I can concentrate on life. I value life a lot more and decisions mean something. Everything (e.g. kindness) is more genuine because I'm not doing it because someone told me or because I want to go to heaven but because life is precious for everyone and we really are in this together (not that some are going to hell and others are chosen etc.).

Life still has it's usual challenges and some days can be pretty crap. But, that's life rather than a test, or god's divine plan or the devil or because of my iniquities.

No more feeling guilty, no more feeling "watched".

Reality and truth kicked in.

It hasn't, that whole purported 'liberation thing' was lost on me.

Not much really. Still awful, and I'm still an unwelcome asshole...but now I'm at least genuine and not twofaced in my assholeness

Hi

I was never there, so didn’t leave.

I feel more confident. Nobody judging me but myself, and I'm hard enough on myself as it is. If I'm successful, perhaps it was due to my hard work and patience. If I'm a failure, perhaps it was due to my lack of attention or energy. Either way, I'm responsible for my circumstances, so I'm not going to cry and pray for things to be different, but get to work changing things.

i never left, the indoctrination never took hold...

My life didn't change at all - it wasn't that important of an issue.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:101622
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.