Agnostic.com

10 2

What are your thoughts on Samantha Bee apologizing for the epithet she used to describe Ivanka Trump?

Do you believe she should have apologized? People seem divided on this. Some are more focused on how the vulgarity detracted from the point, and others on how no one should be called names in general. The argument for free speech arises as well. What's your opinion?

Athena 8 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Freedom of Speech..mmmm isn't that kinda what Rosanne did by tweeting a racist comment? Which made ABC freak and Fire her

No one is immune to the consequences of their actions. I will support Samantha's right to free speech to entertain us and challenge the smug, tone-deafness of the first family and I will support Roseanne's free speech to shoot herself in the face.

I would say calling names has been wrongly confused with free speech. Everyone have the right to make a case against something or someone without vile attacks. There is a difference.

@Athena either we engage in an endless argument here where none of us is going to solve this puzzle. All I am saying is that Samantha Bee used her right of free speech with more hate than anything else. She had the choice to call Ivanka out on whatever the issue was, as opposed to just use a cheap vile vulgar shot. And the worst part, the crowd was applauding in complete blood thirsty fashion. She as communicator knows better than anybody (or should know) that is not professional. But then again, to avoid any further discussion, you are ok with her way of doing things and you consider that free speech. I don't. Simple as that. I respect your opinion and I don't have to call you any names at all.

I believe it is really showing the level of feelings that so many have regarding Trump and his crooked team and family, and I sure can understand Samantha Bee doing her best to make a point regarding the taking of children at the border, it SHOULD piss ALL of us that much !!!!!

First of all, a joke is a joke. Some are in good taste and some are in bad taste. Even jokes in bad taste can be funny. That being said, I have never understood the need to take cheap shots at the wife of the President or the children of the President. Would you like it if people took cheap shots at your spouse or your children? My point is no matter who holds the Presidency, whether Democrat or Republican, it makes the attacker of their family into a bully. If you don't like the President, then say whatever you want against his/her stance on an issue or his/her actions regarding diplomacy. Have an open dialogue with anyone and everyone. Peacefully protest in the street. Write an editorial piece stating whatever you feel. Attacking a President's family, like many did regarding Michele Obama or Barbara Bush or Chelsea Clinton or now Ivanka Trump, makes that person seem angry or misguided or even less rational. Be intelligent and not a thug.

Two wrongs don't make it right. We should hold ourselfes to a higher standard of discourse and not go down the gutter with Trumpites and Fox
Be better than the fools and drones

Meh, I'm not a big fan, I watched it, it was a comedy bit I don't know what all the fuss is about, I just like the word feckless more now.

It was her choice in both cases, joke and apology. What I loved was Sally Fields' response.

I saw the show before I read about the reaction. I thought "wow, that's strong" but it was also funny because so unexpected. As a joke, it worked for me, and that's all I judge a joke on. No need to apologise.

She should not have apologized.

A popular false equivalence.

I equally call men dicks, I again I have no personal problem reducing people to sexual anatomy in a causal context & don't considered it to hold the same baggage as certain racial slurs.
Given the 'anal' intent of these social change through language idiots the word asshole should be banished as well as cunt as you can sexually penetrate those as well.
BTW its Nigga not Nigger in acceptable speech generally.

Separate children from their families but don't call someone a shiity name ....yeah makes sense

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:101979
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.