Agnostic.com

16 4

When was the last time you changed your mind?

When was the last time you changed your mind about something you previously thought was true, right or a deeply held belief? What prompted you to to question it and what ultimately changed your mind? Did you encounter any resistance, from yourself or others? How do you feel about it now?

Josephine 7 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I change my mind all the time.

This afternoon, when I believed that I would not be having any more pets in my life save for the one dog and one cat I now have. Now there area 5 refugee cats (mom and her 4 kittens) in my garage. They are applying for "family status" in my house and making a really good case. It would take too long to explain all else.

Every word of that exactly applies to me right now (except "garage" ).

Wow..thats a good question...

When I was Catholic I had strong feelings against Protestants...I was very wary and mistrustful of them generally..until I went to work in the U.K and met a Scotish Calvanist Protestants who also hated Catholics...we worked together..so we had to talk..ended up being really good friends..He changed my prejudice and I his. About 6 months later I came home to Ireland and decided once and for all this religious intolerance and bigotry is nonsense..two bald men fighting over a comb.
Then it just clicked...I needed to change my mind about the whole God delusion.

GMO's, probably about a year ago. I used to think that they were horrible and now realize that they're a tool and can be used for good or bad.

Just now. I was not going to respond to this post, then did.

I changed my mind 5 minutes ago. Was going to get a hot dog. No mustard, so I had a ham sandwich.

Yep, must admit mine was a food related response, until the criteria closed in. Now I just can't remember, wish I did.

This really random. I always was led to believe that the reason a bull or horse bucks in a rodeo is because a rope was tied to its testicles and tightened to make it buck. GUESS WHAT NOT TRUE!!! I had read this on an animal rights site and believed it for years (yeah right it was on the internet so it must be true, right?) My son pointed it out to me and I researched it and voila NOT TRUE. I still do not think it is good to make animals angry and buck but that is another question.

The story checks out 🙂 for horses read: [naiaonline.org] for bulls: [thoughtco.com]

@girlwithsmiles Thanks for the validation.

@Spudnut You are perpetuating the same lie that I am trying to debunk. The bull bucks to get the rider off his back NOT because the bull is in pain. I do not agree with the whole rodeo concept I think bull riding is cruelty to animals. But I believe in the truth more. So again the ropes are NOT painful.

Probably a lot, I could have an opinion about something but as more information becomes available I may well change or modify that opinion, and so I'm quite comfortable about having an evolving opinion about most things.

If you're talking about changing your mind in relation to trust, I did read your other post on this, then that can be a bit more entrenched and if I have to give up on this trust, or change my mind, then it feels aggravating, annoying, saddening etc

Last time it needed clean underware.

Daily! LOL too numerous to list.
E.g. if I bust my donkey ONE MORE TIME on a bike I will swear myself off them forever. Now that's humbling.

A foundational change was three or so years ago discovering the work of Kurt Godel and his incompleteness theorems. These 2 masterworks demonstrate the limits of human knowledge. Perhaps the most profound idea I've come across, and most agree the greatest mathematical (actually, mathematical logic) idea of the 20th century. If you aren't familiar, invest some time.

Why? Was there something wrong with the one I had?

Honestly, nothing comes to mind off of the top of my head. I usually don't rush to judgements or conclusions.

I wasn’t going to leave a comment, then I changed my mind.

Three years ago, something occurred that caused me to question everything I thought was true. The change in my life over those last three years has been nothing short of amazing. Friends I haven't seen much, if at all, in a couple of years all remark on it. I'm so much more open now. Open about everything. I'm very loving and compassionate, accepting and welcoming. I love myself and who I have become. And I continually change all the time.

The most recent major one I can think of is the NFL players kneeling during the anthem. At first when it was going on, I was pissed about it. The more I thought it through, and educated myself on the reasons and what they were attempting to draw attention to, my opinion changed. I don't have to like that they kneel, but it is absolutely their right to do so.

I changed my mind when I was 15 a friend had died and I decided that if such a good honest person could be taken than there couldn't be a god. I later backed up my decision with facts and sound logic and was glad that I had made my choice. But it did not come without consequences I suffered ridicule as well as abandonment from people who used to be friends and family.

21 years ago, and that was the last time?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:102146
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.