Agnostic.com

4 3

LINK 5 ways lack of sleep could alter the course of your life - MarketWatch

Log off now (after reading the article) and sleep...

Krish55 8 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am so lucky that I'm retired because my sleep now is completely fractured. I have a dog I adore and he's failing. So my life and schedule revolve around him. I'm not sleeping in my bedroom on the second floor because he can't get upstairs to let me know he needs to go out without having an accident. So I sleep in a recliner. I don't sleep well. He rolls off the couch in the night and I need to help get him reoriented to where he is. Then he usually needs to go out again between 4 and 5. I go back to sleep, but I'm up and down all morning trying to make up for the four hours or so I got the previous night. I know it's not good for me, but it won't be much longer. I know he doesn't have another winter in him. He's already on pain pills 24/7 and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to rationalize keeping him drugged for maybe one good hour a day. I wonder, will I sleep well when he's gone?

Its hard...parting with loved ones.

I call inconclusive/bullshit on this one:

"A new study conducted by the University of Arizona found that of the 60% of individuals who indulged in regular nighttime snacking, nearly two-thirds said that lack of sleep led them to crave more junk food."

For me, it's the 60% number that is giving it away. There are some variables they don't address, and this is why I also think there is B.S. in the claim.

@DZhukovin There's nothing wrong with the number itself. Self report is a miserable way to collect data. You need a measure that's more objective. Anecdotally, I find that when I can't sleep I crave junk food, but that's certainly not enough upon which to base a scientific claim.

@ladyprof70

That too

I think less sleep perhaps leads to hours of eating more...convenience foods is available and less healthy so maybe there's something to it.

I struggle with sleep issues. My job is stressful and I tend to push the envelope with going to bed. I get involved with something and lose track of time. (this site is way too hard to turn off) So, today I had a great day at work, I'm all caught up. Such a relief. I'm actually (in theory) going to bed soon. I'm going to wrestle down the cats and trim their nails (I do it in bed, I wrap them in the blankets.) And then I'm going to take some stuff to relax and hope that I sleep til the sun is full up tomorrow.

Interesting article.
Sleep deprivation caused the majority of us in my military unit to get "mean". If it affected our decision making abilities I'd say it made us more aggressive, if anything. I believe these effects of lack-o-sleep were well know to the military. And used effectively.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:102424
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.