Agnostic.com

11 2

What happens to our conscience when we die?

I often wonder what happens to a persons conscience when the body dies. do we slowly fade away into nothing or something else.. if a person dies while on fire, even if they lived a generous life, is their afterlife a never ending visual hallucination of fire?

Acrostic 2 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think you mean consciousness, not conscience.

Consciousness is an emergent property of biochemical and electrical activity in the substrate of the human brain. There's no evidence that the particular organization of matter and energy that represents "you" or "me" survives death, much less decay.

In my experience it's not really that hard to let go of the notion of immortality, and once you do, life actually becomes richer and more meaningful -- if you really, truly understand the implications.

Well said

The same thing that happens to a running computer program when the power goes out. It ceases to be.

Instantly gone, of course…

Varn Level 8 June 8, 2018

Keep quoting scientists if that makes you happy

Well, I don't wonder about what you often wonder.

Damned if I know. No hurry to find out either ...

We die, the power is turned off, no signal, ever. There is nothing.

Einstein taught us that all matter is a form of energy, so since energy can neither be created nor destroyed, we have always existed and will always exist in some energy form, and quantum physics already tells us different dimensions exist.

Therefore reincarnation is possible and children worldwide who remember past lives, ages 2-6, had details they remembered from from other reincarnations checked out by researchers, and found to be valid

"For physicists, the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." -Einstein.

Physics also indicates we are participating in creating our own universes/reality:

“I regard consciousness as fundamental and matter as derivative from consciousness." – Max Planck, theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics

The energy that composes our bodies will exist forever, but our consciousness will not. Our minds are the result of the net total of all processes going on in our brains. Without a functioning brain, there is no mind, no consciousness. And once it's lost, it never comes back.

@Katrik Not really. A member here recently posted a link on recent research shows that our "selves" or psyches, exist in a quantum state outside this dimension.

Plus, of course, these all the research on children ages 2-6 who remember past lives, where researchers could verify the details of their memories. I have a long book list if you are really interested, and not just a troll.

Both my sister and I were born remembering past lives, and I later remembered seven more. I even googled some of the incidents I remembered and found the details to be true.

@birdingnut I would be interested in seeing this research. I’m highly skeptical as that contradicts just about everything I’ve learned about how the human mind works. What journal was it published in?

@Katrik I don't remember which link he posted, but I quickly googled another llnk. You could have done that yourself, by the way, if you're actually interested and not a troll.

The human mind and quantum physics-the human brains seems to exist in another dimension [bbc.com] via @BBCEarth

@birdingnut I see there are some interesting hypotheses posited regarding this subject but I could find no actual research conducted, no empiracle evidence. There are many more contradictory hypotheses. It's just hypothetical speculation. Lawrence Krauss says, "No area of physics stimulates more nonsense in the public arena than quantum mechanics."Boyle, Alan. "How to Spot Quantum Quackery". NBC News Science News

@birdingnut The article you sent me to did not site any sources for his claims. He seems to be giving his own opinion on the subject, which while interesting, isn't worth anything. I tried googling some of the names of physicists he mentioned but none of them had any research regarding human consciousness.

I would again ask for a citation to some of this research regarding past lives, mind body dualism, or other dimensions. I have yet to find such publications in any peer reviewed journal from my own searches. Links or names of the papers would be appreciated.

@Katrik Well, I'm glad you at least googled something. You might want to look at the research on children ages 2-4 who remember past lives. Also, it's difficult to "prove" anything to do with quantum physics, since energy pops in and out of existence in this dimension, can exist and not exist at the same time, etc. You seem determined to be a troll, however, or you'd look at past lives, and that we are all made of energy that can't be created or destroyed. I will block you if you continue to troll me.

@birdingnut How is requesting a source trolling? Also Quantum mechanics doesn't take place on a different dimension or plane of existence. It is simply how things operate at tiny, subatomic scales. The reason I asked for a source, is that I cannot find any credible source to back up your claims. You claimed you had seen research on the topic, so I wished to see the same papers you had. This shouldn't be an unusual request.

You're talking about a soul? Most of us don't believe in such things. There is our mind or brain that, like the rest of us, ceases to exist. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're just not that important.

So you don't believe Einstein? He taught us that all matter is a form of energy, that can't be destroyed or created, so we have always existed in some energy form.

@birdingnut
Existing in some form is not the same thing as maintaining continuity of consciousness.

@skado Why not? Have you read any of the substantial research done on children ages 2-6 yrs old who remember past lives? Their memories were carefully researched and found to be true.

@birdingnut
Yes I've read some of that type material. But to my knowledge there is no scientific way to determine that reincarnation is the only possible explanation. I'm sure it sells lots of books, articles and speaking tours, but I don't have any knowledge about the authenticity of the claims.

@skado Besides the verified research, (which you seem to be ignoring, like a religious person ignores evidence), I know from experience it's true. Both my sister and I were born with past life memories and later on, I remembered seven more pst lives. I even googled several incidents I'd remembered from some of them and found the details to be true.

@birdingnut
I’m sure there is material I’m not aware of but I’m not ignoring anything I’m aware of. It all might be true for all I know, I’m just saying I’ve not been convinced by anything I’ve seen. I’m not aware that science has proven reincarnation to be true. I am aware that lots of such claims exist, and some pretty plausible stories exist, but that’s not the same as a scientific consensus. Also personal experience is not the same as scientific consensus. I’m quite certain that some things exist that science doesn’t yet know, but I’d rather wait for science than go on hearsay.

@skado Why do you go around making assertions if you've never even googled it or read anything on it? You are acting like the religious people who refused to research anything. I'm wondering if you are a troll. You are acting like you don't know how to do google search.

@birdingnut
Well if your goal is to shut down earnest conversation, you have succeeded. I’ll try to remember not to trouble you again. Best wishes.

@birdingnut I think someone somewhere would've won the nobel prize if reincarnation had been proven to exist

What happened before you existed? There you go...that is your answer. Nothing...

Everything dies when we die. There is no afterlife. This is it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:102464
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.