Agnostic.com

44 3

Is life meaningless if we can live forever?

Aralt 7 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Life is only meaningless if you say it is.

Oh man.....so many good creation's in this thread⭐???

StephD Level 4 June 11, 2018

This sums up my viewpoint perfectly.

Imagine all of the Mayflies out there saying, "What have you guys got to bitch about?"

That is a mute question but life is meaningless anyway!

@Gwendolyn2018 Yeah, I guess that was some sort of Freudian skip!

@Gwendolyn2018 Oops, there I go again!

@Gwendolyn2018 If they all made the same mistakes they must have b

@Gwendolyn2018 What happened?! Like I tried to say, if they all made the same mistakes they must have been coping each other's notes! wink

@Gwendolyn2018 I'll bet that's a big problem these days. Didn't I hear that there was a special search-engine available to sus out plagiarism?

@Gwendolyn2018 I assume this is HS. Of course what you said is correct. It would be easy. I was sort of referring to College but these days, they are probably not much more sophisticasted either!

@Gwendolyn2018 Imagine a PHD dissertation that was plagiarised! Yuk Yuk. BTW. If you would live forever you'd trip over your hair! You could play Repunzel!

@Gwendolyn2018 To combine paraphrasing: "Hair today, long tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps down this pretty face from day to day"

No. Life has (can have) meaning regardless of the length of time it lasts. Life is represented by what we do while living, not by how long we live. That isn't to say that life cannot become meaningless after a period of time.

I really have no, clear idea of how long i would like to live. I know that it would be based on many factors, not least of which are health and mobility. One thing is certain, I would want the ability to say "Enough! Lemme outta here!"

Moses and noah lived almost a 1000 years and they had no complaints.

Have you seen copies of their birth certificates and obituaries?

@fishline79 They must be hidden with the other biblical facts

If I can live forever and continually accumulate, assimilate and aggregate new information and experiences into an ever growing, deepening and interconnecting view/awareness/understanding of reality then it will never be meaningless.

And imagine the "reality shows" you could watch!

@fishline79 ?

It begs the question: Live forever as an old person or eternal youth? Even if eternally young, "forever" is a long, long time.

I don't know about immortality making life meaningless, but it would definitely make things seem a lot less urgent. I'm 435. I've been thinking I'd like to learn to play the piano.

@Aralt Maybe you could learn to use the subjunctive tense.

I guess I'll get tired of living eventually

I don't want to live forever!

I don't know that life actually has any meaning - because that is like saying it has a purpose. Life does not inherently have any meaning or purpose. The only meaning, or purpose, that our life has is that which we ourselves attach to it.

If we could live forever, I think that would definitely change our perspective. Personally, I am very motivated by the amount of time I have, and with no end in sight I wouldn't be as driven - nor would I care as much. I have forever to get things done, so what's the rush?

Ahhh but we do! Live forever! Matter into energy into concousness into bialogical into infinity and beyound! I know this! Because iam enlightened, raised the dead, talked with the dead, & no the answears to all the toughest questions of are time!

I don't necessarily buy that life has meaning. It emerged out of the cosmos (or whatever we call it), so it just is. At some point, it won't be. Yeah, we have some sort of meaning we try to create in this trivial spec-of-time life we lead, but in the larger picture.......none.

In other words, death makes life meaningful; this cannot be right. If death makes life meaningful, why not commit suicide as a child to assure the most meaningful life--No! We gain life experiences as we age, which makes life more meaningful. The thesis of this post is nonsense.

??is it mean ing ful if we can't
...don't
...won't
...re fuse

No, because eternal life is a separate concept from meaning so one does not preclude the other.

"eternal life is a separate concept"....
forgive my childlike lack of knowledge, just seeking wisdom here...... who, separated the concepts, and who are who?

Life is meaningless if you are not fulfilled & pursuing interests fruitfully.

Human life, in and of itself has no meaning. It just exists, like everything else just exists. Life's "meaning" is individually subjective. As others have said here; people give their own meaning to life. I don't see the length of a human life as being connected to any meaning (also echoing others comments).

I believe if Humans achieve biological immortality (and I think it is possible), it's my hope that along with immortality comes wisdom, greater knowledge, peace, and the eventual vanishing of religion.

Ha, but its that mortal desire to posteurize, ego, which won't quit whinning about leaving behind legacies and tales to tell...

Dreamer!

Immortality makes life more meaningful if your meaning for life is the pursuit of knowledge and happiness. Imagine having infinite opportunities to experience life and learn from them. Imagine infinite opportunities to meet new people and create meaningful and happy infinite relationships with them. No more death in the family means less grief in life. The benefits are more than i can explain in this comment.

Living forever in a peaceful and happy heaven would be crappy. we really do need drama and mayhem

Nardi Level 7 June 8, 2018

Nyx, or Chaos here, ready for duty!

@StephanieD78 I'm always up for chaos makes life interesting 🙂

@Nardi pending with what 1 uses for reigns, and to which side they choose to pull them.....
?Lest ye forget....?️

@StephanieD78 whichever way we decide always pull the reigns softly and let the beast feel in control. Sit back and enjoy the ride 🙂

I think the meaning of life has very little to do with its length. It's all about what you fill it with and the people you surround yourself with. And what you contribute to the lives of others that give life meaning. If you can live forever you could technically create more meaning than you would during the average lifespan. However, with the possibility of living forever there might be less of an appreciation of life and less inclination to make the most of it because it wouldn't be so fleeting anymore.

Having said all that, I have to admit that eternal life doesn't exactly seem like a great deal to me and when I was still a Christian I was really terrified by the idea of existing forever in the afterlife. What if heaven wasn't all that it was cracked up to be? There would be no way out!

I think human nature prevents us from achieving perpetual happiness. We get used to the good things way too quickly and so we are always in pursuit of something new. That might get tiring after a few centuries in my opinion.

I don't think so. But if we had infinity time our lives would be lived completely different. So what is meaningful to you would change as well

Since one gives their own life meaning, I see no reason why living forever would change anything.

My opinion is that if we could live forever then we could create meaning - since we can't - it's meaningless.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:102505
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.