Agnostic.com

44 3

Is life meaningless if we can live forever?

Aralt 7 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments (26 - 44)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That's impossible to say. What gives a life meaning is defined only by that person themself. We might say it's not as valuable, since it would no longer be limited, but that wouldn't necessarily make it meaningless.

Not if we have a good job we enjoy and lots of HOT sex.

Well, it would probably make all the suicide bombers' lives meaningless as they have to rethink their life purpose. 😛

My opinion is that if we could live forever then we could create meaning - since we can't - it's meaningless.

Since one gives their own life meaning, I see no reason why living forever would change anything.

I don't think so. But if we had infinity time our lives would be lived completely different. So what is meaningful to you would change as well

I think the meaning of life has very little to do with its length. It's all about what you fill it with and the people you surround yourself with. And what you contribute to the lives of others that give life meaning. If you can live forever you could technically create more meaning than you would during the average lifespan. However, with the possibility of living forever there might be less of an appreciation of life and less inclination to make the most of it because it wouldn't be so fleeting anymore.

Having said all that, I have to admit that eternal life doesn't exactly seem like a great deal to me and when I was still a Christian I was really terrified by the idea of existing forever in the afterlife. What if heaven wasn't all that it was cracked up to be? There would be no way out!

I think human nature prevents us from achieving perpetual happiness. We get used to the good things way too quickly and so we are always in pursuit of something new. That might get tiring after a few centuries in my opinion.

Immortality makes life more meaningful if your meaning for life is the pursuit of knowledge and happiness. Imagine having infinite opportunities to experience life and learn from them. Imagine infinite opportunities to meet new people and create meaningful and happy infinite relationships with them. No more death in the family means less grief in life. The benefits are more than i can explain in this comment.

Life is meaningless if you are not fulfilled & pursuing interests fruitfully.

??is it mean ing ful if we can't
...don't
...won't
...re fuse

In other words, death makes life meaningful; this cannot be right. If death makes life meaningful, why not commit suicide as a child to assure the most meaningful life--No! We gain life experiences as we age, which makes life more meaningful. The thesis of this post is nonsense.

I don't necessarily buy that life has meaning. It emerged out of the cosmos (or whatever we call it), so it just is. At some point, it won't be. Yeah, we have some sort of meaning we try to create in this trivial spec-of-time life we lead, but in the larger picture.......none.

Ahhh but we do! Live forever! Matter into energy into concousness into bialogical into infinity and beyound! I know this! Because iam enlightened, raised the dead, talked with the dead, & no the answears to all the toughest questions of are time!

I don't know that life actually has any meaning - because that is like saying it has a purpose. Life does not inherently have any meaning or purpose. The only meaning, or purpose, that our life has is that which we ourselves attach to it.

If we could live forever, I think that would definitely change our perspective. Personally, I am very motivated by the amount of time I have, and with no end in sight I wouldn't be as driven - nor would I care as much. I have forever to get things done, so what's the rush?

I don't want to live forever!

I guess I'll get tired of living eventually

No. Life has (can have) meaning regardless of the length of time it lasts. Life is represented by what we do while living, not by how long we live. That isn't to say that life cannot become meaningless after a period of time.

I really have no, clear idea of how long i would like to live. I know that it would be based on many factors, not least of which are health and mobility. One thing is certain, I would want the ability to say "Enough! Lemme outta here!"

Oh man.....so many good creation's in this thread⭐???

StephD Level 4 June 11, 2018

Life is only meaningless if you say it is.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:102505
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.