Agnostic.com

3 1

Just saw a statement saying that "happiness is synthetic"... Am writing a rebuttal here: Happiness is not synthetic. My working def. is that the sense of being and actuality of happiness is "what is keeping in line with what is positive to our nature". A similar idea/concept with "meaning", "purpose" in our lives. To delimit, categorize more fully; feeling happy from drugs, religious beliefs in para (note, not super) natural beings, events... are NOT sensations of happiness; as they are not based in reality. Though someone may "feel happy" temporarily, this "sort" of elation is short-lived and ultimately self-defeating... like pushing the hold button; a trifling of one's time, general resources.

BobFenner 7 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Happiness is when you are in a park, a squirrel comes up to you, you have a bag of peanuts with you, and you give the squirrel a peanut. Then everyone is happy: you, the squirrel, and the folks who grow, roast, and sell peanuts.

It doesn't matter if happiness is synthetic or not, it's happiness. I synthesis my happiness, because if I really think deeply about the state of the world it would be enough to make me, at the very least, morose. Being sad, depressed, heartbroken doesn't change anything, so why not be happy and try to change the things I can change. Being happy energizes me. Being sullen, sad, down beaten, depressed depletes me. We can have a choice. Even if we synthesis it.(Having said that there is a place for all the other feelings that humans feel.)

Why are we happy?

Source:

https//www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_asks_why_are_we_happy

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10260
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.