Agnostic.com

13 1

(my first topic) Are there any religions that you somewhat admire, if not for their belief in ‘a god,’ perhaps other aspects..?

I have come to appreciate the Jewish religion; it’s old, and seems based on more ..realistic tenets. Granted, I know little about it, but have admired friends having belonged to and describing aspects of it. One more -- I appreciate the SD-Adventist’s penchant for gardening, and their resistance to makeup & caffeine 🙂 OK, your turn ~

Varn 8 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am a fan of Jainism, their doctrine of Ahimsa (non violence) is awesome

...reincarnation.. Strange, I’ve not found, nor looked for that discussion around here.. 🙂

Nope, not one. Because I'm a woman. And there are no religions which treat women as equals, and most are disgustingly misogynistic.

Overall, Religion’s a tool of subjugation, with even it’s adherents apparently in need of someone or something to dominate..

I'm okay with Mormonism to some extent. I have very good friends (and an ex) and they have always been open and warm and nonjudgmental with me. Plus they don't believe in hell.

I never knew that about their lack of a belief in ‘Hell.’ What’s the ‘threat’ that keeps them in line … ostracization? I know they’ve come a long way, in a short time, revising their doctrines to more closely mimic modernity. I am disappointed by their consistent support the republican party…

Worked with one as a teenager, he’d have the most fascinating stories about the many parties he’d attend. One, he’d hear everyone’s drunken confessions; two, he’d seem to end up with everyone's girlfriends.. Though younger, he was far cooler than me 🙂

There are aspects that I admire about every religion I have learned anything about. The first one I connected with deeply was Taoism. Zen Buddhism has wonderful insights. Now, after years of abandonment, I have finally learned how to love my religion of origin, Christianity. Literal interpretation of any mythology is poison to the soul. Learning how to see with metaphorical eyes unlocks the hidden truth. "Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." Approximately 80% of the human population consider themselves religious. Eighty per cent is not "few". What they have found is not "it". "It" is not magic or superstition. "It" is not supernatural. "It" is peace of mind through cognitive development. No belief required. Just knowledge. Merry Christmas!

skado Level 9 Dec 25, 2017

Hardcore 😉 that works too

word truth

I might fall quite outside the consensus here, but what the hell. I think in picking and choosing there are aspects in most religions that I really DO like. Paganism and Zen held a lot of attraction for me. And then I heard about Sufi, some of which says: it does not matter by what name you call your holy prophet, but whether it makes you a better person to call on that. If not, stop doing it. Also: the only holy book ever written by God is nature. Yea, that's what I think. I also do embrace much of Christian thought. I don't regret having been brought up catholic. I like the idea of helping those in need, which Islam specifies even more clearly: give 10 % of what you have to those more in need. I love much of Islamic art and poetry. Jewish humor is the best, and their argumentative relationship with God. So, I feel all religions did add something to the big adventure called humanity.

...those are the things I’ve been curious to learn.. Thank you ~

I was raised by a Buddhist grandfather and a Protestant grandmother. I felt more along the lines of a Buddhist, then a Taoist, if anything, but overall, my lack of faith in a god-head honestly locks me out of religions. I must admit though, I do admire Buddhist, Taoist and Transcendentalists. I do consider myself spiritual, not religious.

Sadoi Level 7 Dec 24, 2017

It’s tuff, I’ve admired many charitable acts of various religions, but as an atheist, realize that ultimately, no matter how much I wanted to play a part in their altruism, we’re bound to clash in the end… I suspect your lack of faith in a god will lock you in to a higher understanding of all thing ~

Buddhism...it seems so calm (serene) and the whole pacifism thing but I have come to believe that it is just like any other religion.

Mindi Level 3 Dec 24, 2017

Yes ~ Now why can’t the other ‘major religions’ be as peaceful..? Maybe too peaceful, and you’re not noticed, or taken seriously?

The only thing that would qualify as a matured religion is Gaia-ism (hope I didn't just make up a nonsense word). I don't know if they celebrate holidays. Maybe Arbor Day is their "Christmas"...and the day that Christmas trees are sacrificed for Christ-mass is their "day of the dead".

It’s a word! “The belief and theory of Gaia model of interconnectedness of biosphere on Earth.” If forced, I could go with some of that.. In fact I’m no doubt surrounded by ‘similar thinkers’ in that regard where I work… I still view it as a religion, but to most it’s likely a step in the right direction 🙂

I think much of the world's "primitive" believes would more or less fall into that, or the general paganism. At least the mother earth is considered a sacred thing, waters are sacred, trees are respected ...

Not really...

Perhaps the healthiest answer 😀

Catholicism: philosophical base.

I like some of the circle ceremonies with the Wicca circle. I like the way the land comes into their belief system. Soil. I thinki it would be interesting to study

I’ve had several Jewish friends, they never pushed it, and were either rarely or totally inactive with regard to religion. One brought his ‘standard poodle’s’ out to walk at my place, and though a city guy, definitely had a reverence for the land...

I'm Jewish. We revere learning and don't evangelize. That puts us over some of the more regressive faiths.

Yes, the lack of evangelizing has impressed me, too. Some things are more alluring when they’re not being shoved in your face 🙂

You also make your women wear wigs, and I recently saw a photo of jewish young men wearing eye masks so they wouldn't be corrupted by the sight of non-jewish women. I don't see any reverence in that unfortunately.

@Goldendoll, only the most Orthodox do that. There are fundamentalists.and idiots in every faith and group.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10312
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.