Agnostic.com

6 2

Arguments against believers

What is your favourite argument to make to a believer that there is no god (or that god is unlikely to exist)

RobH86 7 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

who made god?

I can’t say anything’s ‘a favorite,’ and find myself looking to spend my time with the like-minded (like around here). But since I’ve never gotten a sufficient answer to this one, I continue to ask it: ‘If your religion’s correct, then why’s there someone on the opposite side of the planet willing to lop off your head to prove their religion’s correct?’

There’s all kinds of ways to approach them (it’s a good question) ... but if given an opportunity ask, that one appears to grind their gears, a bit.

Varn Level 8 Dec 24, 2017

I tell my mother she used to threaten me with go to control me-god is going to punish you. There is no god because I was terrified of god and couldn't respect him

Mentioning a paradox like could god create a boulder he couldn't pick up.

I point out that overwhelmingly the reason why people believe in their God is because of where and when they were born, time, country, culture, family and so on, and had they been born at another time, place, culture, etc they would have believed in a different God. Yes, I know it's the "What if your wrong?" brilliant reply from Richard Dawkins a few years back, but it's such a fundamental argument and I have never heard a serious reply from a religionist.

I simply suggest to them that their concept of God might be a little skewed. If they are interested then I give them something to chew on and suggest that they might want to adjust their concept.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10336
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.