Agnostic.com

53 9

When a non-believer dies, what can one say instead of "Rest in Peace"?

This has been a bad couple of years losing friends, relatives and personal heroes like Bowie, Prince and now Bourdain. I'm bothered by religious wishes and prayers throw around after a known atheist dies. A work friend passed quite suddenly as an example. and everyone said "oh he's in a better place" and "our prayers are with his family" knowing this man was proudly gay and a sarconic contrarian atheist. The family gave him a religious church funeral against his wishes. I know these words and actions are for the comfort of the living, and I had to bite my tongue and suppress anger at the seeming cluelessness and utter lack of respect. So the question is: What do you say? I like the alternative "Rest in Power", but even that implies an afterlife to "rest" in.

Perspicalidocious 4 June 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (51 - 53)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

S/he came and went!

Rest in peace & Dust to dust both feel like they could go either way, atheist or religious.

When they are dead, what dies it matter? When they are dying, if they want to listen, there is much we can share.

StJohn Level 6 June 13, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:103603
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.