Agnostic.com

19 4

Family Issues

How do handle family members who are adamantly religious and judgmental?

Mojo5306 3 June 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have dealt with that my whole life but, I just learned to lay my boundaries down. and if they don't respect my boundaries I walk away and ignore the ignorance that is in the air. and go on with my life. then go to the next subject.

yaya87 Level 5 June 13, 2018

I wouldn't know personally. I grew up in a few places where people were devoutly religious, but I was lucky because they were relatively respectful in how they talked to me about it.
My advice would be to make your position clear, and let them know you have no interest in their beliefs. That way, they really can't blame it on you if you eventually get fed up with constant berating and assumptions.

I had to tell my uncle in rather forceful terms that I refused to argue with him about religion and faith (when he started to get hyper when I wouldn't agree that faith is better, or at least as valid, as evidence). I can generally have a calm discussion about these things, but as soon as someone goes on the attack I just have to shut that nonsense down. Life is too short to deal with people who are looking for conflict.

I tell them how stupid and wrong they are. They get mad and don't talk to me anymore. 🙂

Establish boundaries and actively exclude them when they refuse to respect them.

I pretty much cut my bigoted, holier than thou, martyr of a sister out of my life cimpletely. Haven't missed her in the last 20 years. I speak civilly when we are at the same wedding/funeral & walk away when she tries to start drama. She can kick rocks till her desparately longed for 2nd coming arrives.

With humor

Marz Level 7 June 11, 2018

With love.
You can't change them. But by being the better person, you will know you did your best.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with that. It is hard when you have family who hurts you because of their beliefs.

Idk my mom didn't used to be religious but definitely she's been getting mad that I don't bribe in good we just stopped talking about religion all together

Dfox Level 4 June 10, 2018

I always feel that people who, for whatever reason, are less informed, are to that extent less mature, and should be responded to the way we might with children; with great care, kindness, and gentle instruction gauged to their particular capacities, but never by rewarding their tantrums or misbehavior.

skado Level 9 June 10, 2018

I have the luxury of not having to deal with that. I'm very lucky in that way. Be true to you.

Just like the rest of them. I ignore them. 🙂

Judge not lest ye be judged. Let he among you who is without sin, cast the first stone. etc. etc. then I switch it up a bit and quote the Koran or the Bhagavad Gita or maybe just The Lord of the Rings. Tell them to mind their own business and you'll mind yours, they probably have more to be worried about if they are like most religious hypocrites.

Hi, Mojo, and welcome to the website,

You earn website points, and help other members get to know you better, when you write an informational profile that includes your hobbies and interests, and answer all the profile questions, since that's the first place many people look when they see a new member.

Also, the website uses your profile to find member matches, so the more details you include, the better the match.

Then you make comments and write your own posts to earn more points and privileges; for instance, at level two you can private email people. You get different perks with each level, and when you reach level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

To find members near you, click on the "Meet" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Or click on the "About" button at the top of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.
Click on the 'Meet" button to find member matches

Links to FAQ: [agnostic.com],
and a website tutorial: [agnostic.com]

Have fun!

Thankfully I don't have to deal with that. I can only imagine that it would be a nightmare and a depressing thing. My heart goes out to those who have to endure.

I've come to avoid them. All of them.
Just because they're "family", doesn't mean they get to be disrespectful to me.
There is nothing that says I have to tolerate their delusional behavior.

My favorite family members have no blood ties.

@Holysocks Same here.

You don't need them in your life.

You can either respect my beliefs or you can stay out of my life completely.

Sounds as if you’ve met my family...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:104221
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.