Agnostic.com

101 4

Suicide: a cowardly move? True or false?

EmeraldJewel 7 June 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

101 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A coward does not do suicide !

Neither brave nor cowardly. It seems to me to be an act of desperation. Trying to shame as cowards people who contemplate suicide will have no effect.

EdEarl Level 8 June 12, 2018

Coward. I don't advocate suicide, unless you have a debilitating condition. Two people have tried to kill me. I'm stronger than death...

@Josephine "survive suicide"? Look at what you just wrote...

No two suicides are the same. It is not black and white, but layers upon layers.

Exactly.

False.

Hi EmeraldJewel, good post! My response will probably seem to echo the previous ones regarding the aversion I feel toward the idea that a Suicide victim gets the label of “coward” based on his or her last impression on society (at their life’s most miserable point) but even though it seems rather obvious to most people in possession of the capacity to feel sympathy that Suicide is a tragedy for which grief should be felt for the deceased and loved ones of him/her, I still think it’s a very important question to ask bc a lot of people find comfort in classifying the miseries of others as melodramatic, selfish, or an over-reaction rather than acknowledge that these people are suffering beyond what they can bear, and to a degree that those who callously dismiss them as cowards most likely couldn’t begin to imagine. I ultimately have come to look at Suicide not as a sign of weakness due to someone’s lack of gratitude for the good things they have in life or foolish impulsivity, but simply as devastatingly tragic evidence that someone has been pushed to the absolute limit of what they can bear, and then across it. We all have breaking points, and none of us are “above” the risk of suicide or stronger than those who do fall prey to it

And my apologies for the characteristically wordy nature of my responses, but this is a topic that hits quite close to home with me on several levels. After losing a good friend who functioned in my life as a role model due to not only the success he found and the outrageously positive impact he made on the lives of anyone around him, but also bc he struggled with very similar psychiatric problems to my own (to the extent we even took many of the same meds) I had a very difficult time processing all why’s and what if’s surrounding the event and how if I could have been there more for him things might have turned out differently; but ultimately I’ve realized that while his death was heart wrenching to hear about and accept the reality of, it would be a massive lapse in character and gratitude for his being part of my life for as long as he was to resent or disparage him for ultimately yielding to the insurmountable pressures to stop pressing on with life, against which I’m sure he fought tooth and nail until he got worn down. But I remember him fondly for the way that he lived every day of his life, not the sad circumstances that it concluded with.

@Storybook thanks for that!

False. No one asked to be here and they should get to leave whenever they want. There is no "test."
It does however really screw up the people close to them so they should consider not whether it's cowardly but whether it might hurtful to loved ones and friends, if they even care. All that being said, you only get one chance to be here and people can make miraculous recoveries and comebacks and many have overcome horrible odds and come out the other side.

lerlo Level 8 June 12, 2018

Indeed. But it can also solve every problem that you have. "Screw the rest of the world, I'm outta here." That has some level of appeal to many people.

Not cowardly, but foolish and stupid. Would be the words i usually use. There always a way to fix whatever problems one might have..

Fix my terminal cancer.

Fix the problem like Ucranians in Holodomor who ate deceased human bodies in order to live.

Suicide is irresponsible. The ones left behind have the hardest job.

True true. But once you have reached that point, you do not care.

No, not cowardly, but sad and desperate. The sign of alienation and a harsh world to me.

It depends on the circumstances - if a doctor told me I had a terminal illness, I would thank her/him and check out on my own terms.

@Palindromeman me too, once the pain got bad. I hope to solve my own issues when the time comes, I was looking more along the lines of depression causing the suicide, mates of mine when I was younger, in recent years children of friends and friends of my own kids, It's hard whe it is poeple you know and they are young and healthy.

@Rugglesby Copy that, my friend. I had a friend in high school who checked out. His name was Damien. I still think of him when the subject comes up. And that's 32 years ago. These things do resonate.

Here is how I see this question.
Is divorcing a forced marriage a cowardly move or not?
A lot of forced marriages do not end up in divorce because not always the relationship is bad.
People used to marry this way for thousands of years. Having a right to divorce is a very important right because in a lot of cases forced marriages are bad.
Same thing is with life nobody gave consent to be born into this life. Some may have a really bad life with lots of suffering in that case of course is important to have the ability to choose to die in dignity. It is sad that nowdays someone has to travel as far as Switzerland to have the right to divorce life.

I couldn't agree more!

i wonder how many killed themselves thinking they were going to heaven....

Probably the majority

I think it is a rather courageous act.

Sometimes its the bravest thing you can do

Corvus Level 6 June 12, 2018

I can't help but think it's selfish. My mom had bowel cancer and tried everything to stay alive. A friend's 17 year old had a brain tumour and passed away 4 months after being diagnosed. His parents fought so hard!! People committing suicide have their whole life ahead of them and they decide to end it...

Ryksie Level 6 June 12, 2018

Depression is chronic pain. Anyone who's lived with chronic pain eventually reaches a point where they're "done" and just can't deal with the destruction of their quality of life any longer.

The other people who "fought so hard" are the selfish ones because they're telling their loved one to endure a life of misery just so they don't have to be sad

False.

I wrote my suicide note last year. No one tells you how hard it is - what do you say? I mean, it's your final statement, right? So you want it to be completely on message.

I then spent a comfortable hour in a hot bath with my weapon of choice - a box cutter - until I decided it was not for me. Not at that time, anyway.

And I burned that fucking note to ashes.

No, I don't judge anyone who voluntarily checks out.

I sincerely hope you are feeling better about yourself and life in general now. Hugs

@Marcie1974 Thank you. As always, life is a work in progress - for everyone, including me. You can never know how another person is feeling. They are their own barometer.

False

For me I don't have the insight to come to a true or false answer. I'm on the outside looking in.

When someone is depressed they are at risk for suicide, and it is not a matter of cowardice, it is a matter of your brain going to a really dark place where you don't - literally - see the light at the end of the tunnel. In those cases it is not a matter about being a "coward" about facing life, it's about this intense sense of "hopelessness" brought on by their depression. If you've never felt it, then it's hard to understand what that is like and how that can cause someone to take his/her life. It's tragic because those who manage to do it, I suspect, they where trying not so much to end their lives, but to end that hopelessness in their lives. Many come to think that ending their lives is the only way to end the hopelessness inside. It is extremely hard to reason properly and maintain perspective when in a deep depression. That I know. That is why depression is dangerous and must be treated head on.

Then there are those who want "medical" suicide due to some terminal illness, and they just want to die with dignity. Neither case needs "judgment." What is needed is a greater understanding of the phenomena in either case.

so absolutely false.

False. If you’ve ever dealt with crippling depression you wouldn’t ask this question.

I'm pretty sure everyone gets to ask the question, one of the reasons this site exists. And someone who might be contemplating suicide certainly gets to ask the question

I don’t know that ... depression is so frightening, threatening, and to become submerged in it I well know to those who have or will experience then you have others still spewing “ pull you self up “ as of it were so simple, so easy. I think you’re right as you have had to of been there for most to understand...... so can never!!!

@lerlo I apologize but it’s very frustrating to hear someone even elude to it as being cowardly. I was suicidal for many months during the worst of my depression. In my mind, I would have been helping others by killing myself. They wouldn’t have to deal with me anymore. I felt unworthy of love, friendship, etc. I’m eternally grateful I eventually got help and my mind is healthy now. But I remember well that feeling that it would be best for others if I wasn’t around.

@Marcie1974
Thank you for sharing. Back in the 90s my dearest and most loved sister swallowed a sandwich bag of pills. Fortunately, they were able to save her. I love her dearly! Just because someone is loved doesn't mean there isn't a terrible sadness inside.

@Holysocks I’m so glad your sister was saved, I assume she received and is still getting help?

And you are correct about feeling alone and sad even with people around you that love you. It’s devastating

@Marcie1974 you're a strong person for having overcome all of that. I commend you and you have my deepest regard. It's for all the reasons you speak of that I would hope you would try to counsel the people here that think that depression gives you a ticket out of life. For some, depression is treatable and while I stand by my belief that we all get to leave whenever we want, it shouldn't be a forced decision by something that might be turned around. Most decisions made under duress usually aren't good ones.

@lerlo I am proof that there is hope for those that are going through depression and would certainly counsel them on not succumbing to the disease.

It is my understanding that the post is simply asking if it is cowardly. Not that she was necessarily contemplating it. If that is the case, I would certainly reach out.

@Marcie1974 You're right, I was mainly concerned with the replies that seem to imply that depressed people have no option. But, you never know what the motive for the original question was.

@lerlo many times depressed people feel there is no option, fortunately there is plenty of help if one has the courage to seek it out and accept it.

I don't think people who are suicidal need to be judged. Suicide happens when the pain is so bad you cannot imagine a way out. It is mental illness. Until you have been there you will never understand, and I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone.

Very good point, good observations

My father was dying of prostate cancer that had spread to his skeleton. Bone cancer is extremely painful -- in many cases doctors just have to sedate the patient into unconsciousness until they die, often moaning in pain. He was 76 years old. He decided to choose the timing of the end himself, however in 1996 it was difficult to find a guaranteed way to kill himself that would not involve someone else -- often someone who was involuntarily involved. He did a lot of research and discovered that refusing food and water is a relatively painless way to die. Within a few days, hunger and thirst subside and as long as pain is controlled, nurses rated it as a 'good' way to die. This took him 21 days of choosing every morning to continue on this path. I do not see this as the act of a coward. I was impressed with his determination.
As to the family's suffering, he was going to die anyway. He was not creating any new suffering that wouldn't have occurred anyway. I hope that if I find myself in a similar situation I can follow in his footsteps. I will have the option, however, of using a more humane techique.

I don't know how you can judge another on an issue like this. Sometimes the darkness wins. If you have never been depressed, help someone who is. Reach out to those you love. We live in difficult times. Be kind.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:105104
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.