32 6

Who, besides your parents, had the biggest impact on your life?

By AmiSue
Options Favorite Like

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence, and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy

Create your free account

32 comments

My daughter has had a much larger impact on my life than my parents.

ladyprof70 Level 7 June 13, 2018

Both my daughters grew with me greatly
MR MOM 1982-1990 AND ELECTION DAY 1994 our growing continues

My dear departed husband, learned a lot from him and miss him.

Sheannutt Level 9 June 14, 2018

Air Force gave me tremendous opportunities that excelled me in knowledge and experience. A free education.... damn.... how lucky can a guy get.

BucketlistBob Level 8 June 14, 2018

My five older siblings. A few of my teachers. Loren Eisley, Dr Seuss, Laura Ingalls Wilder, My ex husband, my three children. Not necessarily in that order

KissedbySun Level 7 June 14, 2018

My son. He anchored me.

StJohn Level 5 June 13, 2018

A couple of my teachers, who inspired me to move in new directions. And the first person I fell in love with, who broke my heart.

bleurowz Level 8 June 13, 2018

Too many to name on a personal level - most people I have been fortunate enough to spend time with have had some influence on me. As for perhaps the greatest impact on my life I need to go beyond my immediate circle to someone I never met - zoologist Desmond Morris, who wrote The Naked Ape. I was not exposed to evolution at all in high school, and only in the most perfunctory way in college. Professor Morris's book moved me from being a gentle skeptic regarding some of the claims of my religion to being an Atheist.

jeshuey Level 6 June 13, 2018

Probably my siblings. They were always supportive and encouraging to me; probably more than I deserved.

And, my daughter. My life would be far poorer without her in it.

Condor5 Level 8 June 15, 2018

RACHEL CARSON, Walt Disney and EINSTEIN top my list of stars to steer life by....all Atheists not selling religious lies

PeaceByGreenJobs Level 5 June 14, 2018

Carl Sagan and Isaac Asimov were critical for inspiring my love of science and science communication

Bobbyno Level 3 June 13, 2018

My brother

Sticks48 Level 8 June 13, 2018

Parents have zero impact on my life. smile001.gif

Not a tough question....myself. I had the biggest impact on my life. Had I followed the example set by my family, my religion, my friends in youth, I'd be a sexual predator, spouse abusing, hypocrite. I got away from all that by following my OWN moral compass and by making conscious decisions to stay free of negativity and drama, and to work hard to improve "my lot" in life, for my own children's happiness, health and future success.

Clauddvon Level 6 June 13, 2018

I get that. Much of who I am is in response to who my own father was not.
He was a clear model - to me, not my siblings - of what a human should not be.
So, the reality is - they made an impact on us.
My mother was a love, a grand woman.

@AmiSue Yes, I can agree with that. If the question is...who had a NEGATIVE impact on your life, I'd have certainly listed most everyone from my childhood. lol. In fact, still today, everything I do, I reflect on what my dad/mom/others did when I decide what NOT to emulate. lol. So you're right...there was an impact. Just a negative impact that I decided to NOT be like when I grew up and had my own kids.

Well, the last 20 years.... my wife.
Before that, the instructors at CMA.

bigpawbullets Level 8 June 13, 2018

No-one. My mothers death when was 7 and my father's brutality ( most of which i was spared as it was visited on my sisters )had the biggest impact on me. Who then would i admire ? 😊. Small acts of humanity inspire me.

SimonCyrene Level 6 June 13, 2018

I do like the "books" answer though 😊

My ex partner of 8 years. he came into my life when i was over 400lbs with very low self esteem and feeling like no one would ever want or love me. he accepted me just the way i was and never tried to change me. just simple unconditional love

twshield Level 8 June 13, 2018

You will find that again. I am certain of it.

@AmiSue thanks, lets hope

Bill Russell, I watched how he dealt with racism and still was able to be the best NBA star there is

Boogey Level 8 June 13, 2018

Yes Russell is better than LeBron

@PeaceByGreenJobs Russell is the best, he has more credentials than any other player

Eschewing family and friends, I'd have to say Sagan and Hitchens.

maturin1919 Level 7 June 20, 2018

I grew up with various family members NOT my parents so nothing there...I would have to say my friends...at the time...I wanted to be a part of something but I didnt know what...Religion has always left me doubting...the more I heard the less I knew....I created myself

Cael2727 Level 3 June 20, 2018

A sixteen year old boy made an objective, observational, throwaway comment to me (when I was twenty eight) and my life turned around on a dime ~ for the better. I have been forever grateful.

Spudnut Level 6 June 14, 2018

Want to share it?

@AmiSue I had a terrible mother who was very emotionally cruel. She never let a day go by but what she didn't tell my brother and me how ugly, stupid, incompetent, and inadequate we were and how we 'ruined her life'. My brother was filled with rage: I was just afraid of her. One day, she was at my house shortly after my divorce. I was raising five little kids on my own, two of them, special needs. She did her usual thing ~ my hair was parted on the wrong side, dinner in the oven didn't smell very good, I hadn't deadheaded the flowers in the yard, and my kids were the wrong gender. After she left, feeling weary and defeated, I was weeping. This young man came into the room and comforted me, saying ~ "You know, don't you ~ that's just her opinion. It doesn't mean she's right." It sounds hokey but I gathered myself up, right then, and decided I was done with her. I had never asked her for a dime, never asked to babysit for so much as a minute ~ there were no 'strings' attached aside from her being my biological mother. Several days later, I broke up with her, she had an enormous, hate filled hissy fit, and that was that. We never spoke again and I was finally free of her. She died in 2005 and my relief was complete.

@Spudnut Wow! What a huge impact and what a gift he gave you with his words. smile015.gif

@Spudnut Wow...just...wow. Now you're inspiring me!

I had three awesome mentors starting in HS, I've never thought about this but all three were atheist or agnostic.

The last guy is still my best friend 25 years later

educatedredneck Level 7 June 14, 2018

This sounds silly but a lifeguard at the beach I always went to. He instilled in me the importance of supporting your children and my liberal beliefs.

Annebc48 Level 2 June 14, 2018

My high school Chemistry and Physics teacher and four of the college professors I had!

gsiamne Level 7 June 13, 2018

I did: Not always the best impact, but certainly the most significant.

StJohn Level 5 June 13, 2018

Jesus! Whenever I have an important decision to make I ask what would Jesus do and then I do something else.

LEPeff Level 8 June 13, 2018

Aside from my own curious and probing mind developing standards that have done well for me over the years, there have been four people in my life who have provided me with direction and discipline. Richard Feynman, Carl Sagan, James Chapman who opened the world of mathematics to me, and a chemistry professor named Robert Wells who demonstrated to me in the early years that chemistry was definitely not a road I wanted to travel. Three others whom I never met, but were strong influences for me were Bertrand Russell, Buckminster Fuller, and Freeman Dyson.

I've been impressed by a lot of people and there is a broad fan of folks who have influenced me in many ways, but those folks were the ones who actually had great impact on the direction I traveled.

evidentialist Level 8 June 13, 2018
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.comis the largest non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!