Agnostic.com

4 1

Have any Hasidic Jews knocked on your door?

I have this scenario in my head for laughs . . .

A Hasidic Jewish guy knocks on your door and asks, "Do you know Jehovah?"

He hands you a "backward" pamphlet written in Hebrew and stands there.

I WAS Jewish. The thing is, "we don't want you!" I mean, if you want to convert, it's okay but we will make it hard on your poor goy ass, make you learn Hebrew and eat smelly fish.

rabbibubba 5 Dec 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You are right. Jews are one of the few religions that don't seek to convert others to their faith. In fact Hasidic Jews do not recognize that there are at least three other movements in Judaism. They are Reform,Conservative and Orthodox. Each one looks down on the other. I was brought up Reform, lowest of the low-each sect has there own temple-different rules for each one concerning diet and beliefs. So if you want to convert it is discouraged. My husband was Congregational Protestant and my mother's Rabbi barraged us with questions just because her grand parents wanted her to receive a Hebrew name. in their temple. Conversion-who the fuck would want to?

I should respect you views. But I don't.

How would I know? The jews I know don't proudly announce to you that they are Hasidic, Orhodox or any other type of jew. That makes me wonder how self conscious they are about their religion. If they had nothing to be self conscious about, surely they wouldn't fear persecution of any type from anybody.

I have always lived in small towns, military bases or in the "burbs", Hasidic Jews don't find us easily.

I know... I used to find the Jewish people fascinating, I read lots about them and their history. Chaim Potok was one of my favorite authors. It was so unlike my quasi Christian Midwestern American middle class life. I read many stories of the Holocaust, and the pogroms. I have to admire their fortitude. Not all that long ago I read a book on the hidden Jewish contribution to American life, who knew Lane Bryant was Jewish?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10659
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.