Agnostic.com

8 18

LINK People Can't Pay Rent, Debt Is Insane, and the Economy Is Somehow 'Great' - VICE

Perhaps all these profits are coming from squeezing every last penny out of the majority of Americans?

OpposingOpposum 9 June 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The roles of the homeless is ever increasing. Those who cannot pay rent move in with others who can help or to the streets. The problem is only going to get worse. The problem is that to many the answer is for people to blame others who are taking their jobs away, blame those who do not think as you do, and keep the problem from really being solved. Solving the problem would change everything. But who is going to do this. I have seen the word Revolution mentioned, and though that is the way it used to be done this will no longer work. Can you guarantee that the military is going to be on your side. If the military is not on your side then the deal is done. All the arms held by those who have them will make little sense when put up against the vast resources of the military. So the first thing that has to happen is to get the military on the side of the people. By people I do not mean the people the president refers to( those who think he is doing the greatest job ever, and support what supports him, who are those he personally refers to. We have to do something that either puts the military on our side or we have to get together and vote all these people and all the people who think and support him out and make sure their ideas do not present themselves again. So the military and the Educational system have to be changed to reflect what is needed to get us back to a place where we are really being educated and led in a manner which is sustainable and to our advantage. We have to start to vote in our own interests, and we have to know what those interests are. I may not have the process in the correct order but the idea is out.

The article mentions rents going up - and also rent assistance. Perhaps the two are interlinked.
If a property company knows that a tenant can get rent assistance, the company also knows the tenant - eventually - can pay a higher rent. The eventual upshot is that taxpayers contribute to corporate America, whilst the government can pretend to be generous. That's my rather cynical observation.

Petter Level 9 June 15, 2018

@CrazyQuilter yeah there should be some sort of rent control built into that. There's no reason those companies/ landlords should be squeezing people and the gov't for evrry penny. It amounts to price gouging imo. That being said, rents are high for everyone. There have been multiple studies about the unafordability of housing in the US in the last decade or two and it's just getting worse.

@Blindbird Owning rental property is about having the rent as high as possible and increasing it as fast as the law allows. That is unless you have some people who need a place and treat it like it is theirs. Kate and I own a house and we fixed up the basement so we could live in it and rent out the upper two stories. We keep forgetting to raise the rent as the people who rent have assistance and there is only a short time to increase the rent. they have been here for 7 or 8 years and I think the rent has raised twice.

@dalefvictor My previous offices here in Spain are now rented out. I haven't put up the rent for around 6 years. The tenant looks after the place well, always pays on time, and I'm quite happy with the arrangement. (I could get twice as much, but why?)
I also own a reasonably large house (3 bedrooms) in Southern England, where I intend to live one day - perhaps.
Meanwhile, it is rented out. When the previous tenant moved out because they had found work in a different county, I took the chance to make some major updates to the house, such as putting in an entirely new kitchen and bathroom, as well as new fitted carpets. I then put the rent up slightly (5%) when I advertised it. Many people came to view it, and I chose a family I felt would look after it well. Another family offered me 10% more than I had asked if they could have it, but I said sorry, I do not go back on my word.
That to me is what a landlord should be like. (You look after my property and I'll look after you.)

The ministries of love, peace, truth, and plenty are alive and well.

And big brother trump is watching. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.

Unemployment at a record low. Right, but working 3 part time jobs is what it takes to equal pre 2008 single job. Fortunately I planned for this, am retired and laughing last. While the grasshoppers played around, this ant worked her ass off, did without, invested & built a solid work record which management recognised when the low lifes tried to take me out. Retired in 2004 so I beat the 2008 debacle by Dubya. Either you make more or spend less. Do both if you can.

And if you are not in the stock market you are not doing so well.

The economy is doing what those who are in control want it to do. The more the more the homeless the better since there is less money going to them and more for the rich. If this continues it will get worse and worse. Wait until there are robots to take the jobs that can be done without a person. Yes there will have to be someone to program the robots, buone robot can do the work of at least three people. Eventually the economy will hum along and most will be homeless and unemployed. How do we change this?

Revolution

How can 84% of the US income going into 1% of Americans be called "Great"? Well, It can be so termed if you are Donald Trump who has the ethics of a three year old and only sees the wealth he is grafting off his office as US President. What he is doing is the lowest form of self enrichment. And I think he represents the lowest form of life.

He will screw things up even more.

Marine Level 8 June 15, 2018

Ahhh the trickle down economy. Strange how that trickle is a pale yellow and smells of ammonia....

lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:107495
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.