Agnostic.com

14 1

Does every human have a 'right to life'?

What does that mean?

atheist 8 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes everyone has a right to life, but more then that a quality of life. But I'm not sure what you are asking?

johns Level 4 Jan 6, 2018

Explain what you mean

Yes. The right to live should include free health care-universal health care.

I subscribe to utilitarianism in some sense with the goal of maximization of knowledge. Human survival cost is in terms of resources occupied and consumed while his utility is direct or indirect production of knowledge. Those who cannot fulfill this should be eliminated.

@atheist Those who are doomed to be unable to contribute, they die. I believe this might include old people and severely neurologically disabled people. I do not subscribe to the concept of free will, hence ultimately I do not believe anyone is at fault for anything.

@atheist and a lot more than that

Yes with a few exceptions, Exceptions are Trump, Pence. and the the republican congress.

That bias was earned

I believe every living thing is entitled to its life, but everything dies, some at the hands of others. I believe that some people by their actions or the risk they pose jeopardize that right. Dangerous animals are put down. I can't kill animals, but I eat them, I wouldn't kill a person yet we have people in our prisons in Australia that I believe should have been put down. If you had a time machine, and could go back and kill Hitler and save millions of lives? Ie kill him knowing that if you didn't millions would be cruelly put to death.

To many directions you could go from that question.

there are no such things as rights

You have no right to life. I have no right to life. We do not own our genes. We assume civility until we decide for ourselves, during a crisis, if our life means more than the life of another.

That's a tough one; essentially, this notion defines "morality", treat others like they would like you to treat them. We also live in a natural world, where it is in our genes to do what we can for our species to survive, or more specifically, to push each our own particular gene pool. In prehistoric times, this meant head-to-head competition for resources, survival of the fittest. But as our species gained in intelligence, it started to become apparent that cooperation had started to become the best guarantee to survival as a species. Certain folks would take up the prerogative and turn this into a code of conduct to guide and enforce this; as with anything, it was sometimes with the best of intentions, sometimes less than that; a more selfish variety that emphasized their own survival..

So from a strictly atheist point of view, a "right to life" is an irrelevant notion. What we really has is a need to survive, but once we understand that cooperation is a desirable method of survival, we create a morality (which the religious try to high-jack and call their own) which is really a guide to promote that.

godef Level 7 Dec 26, 2017

This is a broad question. If you are talking about abortion then I believe its the mothers choice, but is by all means a form of birth control and should not be used as such.
If you are talking about Rapists, child molesters, animal abusers, mass murders, murderers, etc, then no they should be shot at dawn or any other time of the day asap.
Am I on the right track?

Sacha Level 7 Dec 26, 2017

I refer to Starship Troopers for my answer to this question. The book not the completely unrelated movie by the same name.

If that life can live outside my body then it has a right to life. If it is part of me and dependent upon me then it is still my body. Every woman has to make the decision.

Depends. If they do horrible shit like raping and killing adults and children, torturing animals or other creatures, then no, in my opinion. If we are talking about like... an unborn child? It is the mother's right to choose, in my opinion. But that is a very touchy subject.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10817
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.