Agnostic.com

7 1

How much of your lifestyle would you voluntarily give-up to further the greater good?

Don't give the stock answer!

atheist 8 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Recently had my daughter's BF's family-6 people move into my home. They were all living in a bad city neighborhood, tiny place w/one bathroom, and were charged too much for rent. I crammed myself and my stuff into my former office. Its crowed but we're an extended family.

they help me out too-with rent, snow shoveling, yardwork,etc. Thank you.4 months now.

Voluntarily? None. The greater good is served well enough to suit me, by what I do. If somebody thinks more should be done, they are free to volunteer. I won't try to stop them. Neither will I let them dictate what I should do.

I realize that free will is an illusion, but our language is clumsy.

I have onlyenjoyed this very nice lifestyle a few years, even though 69. Since last year i have become very worried about the direction this country is headed, along with pretty much everyone i know. I am a Strong believer in "the greater good", &.have been all my life. I would consider it both a duty an an honor to make whatever sacrifices i deemed necessary, (altho, no kidding, scared crapless & wishing I were making brunch plans instead) to ensure what i feel was right for everyone. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, and atop whining about it!

I was going to say, "none at all" because I really like my life style and more what I am making it into. It has been many long hard struggles. Yet I guess it comes down to what is meant by "greater good". Many people would disagree with me about my beliefs and in fact some people I know personally totally oppose what I do and how I live. I resigned from the corporate world and high income, left my ex, my kids and I had less than $100 in total assets and started again. I have not watched television for close to 30 years, was never a fan of it, we have very little furniture, none of it fancy, in fact all is 2nd hand. We walk, cycle and paddle to places if at all possible, but do have a number of vehicles, though may change that soon. I only use 5 tanks of fuel per year. We have a very large fridge/freezer but our stove/range has been totally disconnected we only use smaller appliances, do not but pre made meals and our rubbish/trash is very minimal. These things are choice and they are our lifestyle and I am probably much happier than I have been for much of my life. I do give up 2 days a week doing voluntary work, but work of my choice, I do what I want under the auspice of a local community group, they let me design my own projects but this way I am covered by their liability insurance should something go wrong.

A large part of my present life goes toward promoting the greater good. Not just for humans but other non-humans (we live in an era of the sixth great extinction mostly due to the invasive species called Homo Sapiens.

I could not have a satisfying life unless I could lessen my negative impact on the planet.

The "greater good" is a highly subjective concept. Without specifics, I'm inclined to say "none".

Well, I don't really have much, so at this point I don't have a lifestyle to give up.

However, if my business were to suddenly take off I would certainly like to live a comfortable lifestyle, although I don't need a twelve bedroom mansion and a garage with 50 cars. Nor do I require more money than I could possibly spend in six lifetimes. I guess I'd be willing to give up all that in the name of the greater good. I'd probably use the money to invest back in the business to pay my workers higher salaries, offer them better benefits packages and invest more in their training. That way I could hire top quality people and offer a better product to my customers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10821
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.