Agnostic.com

13 1

Agree or disagree: what doesn't kill us makes us stronger?

Does it make us stronger - or break us down to go through personal hardships?

silvereyes 8 Dec 27

Post a comment Reply Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Does it make us stronger? Yes. We learn as we go through life.
Does it break us down to go through personal hardships? I think certain remarks can open old wounds that people haven't healed from. They have flash backs of abuse and hardship. Some people have post traumatic stress disorder on this forum and come here to get away from pain. Mean answers can cause harm to people and they stop coming here. My answer is yes, but that pain may open the door for them to search for a cure. Both questions can produce a positive effect in people. That's my take on these questions.

@silvereyes. Thank you...

Is both acceptable?

There is a vast difference between catching a cold and contracting an incurable disease...

I'm still "both". Grief, from death of loved ones to times of great adversity, I feel have made me stronger.

So may of my peers have not been so fortunate...insanity, suicide, the slow death of addiction,...

That depends on whether or not it's something from which we can learn a lesson, no? I mean, yes, if you survive a disease, you gain immunity to it, and that makes you stronger in a way; and the same goes for when you feed yourself small doses of poison in order to develop a resistance to it. But most of the time, the essential criterion is learning from what happened to you.

I know that my experiences with depression have helped me to be more mindful and empathetic of the suffering of others. I'm not sure whether or not it has made me stronger, but there has been at least a little positive come of it.

I almost drowned because I didn't know how to swim so I learned. I almost died in a car crash so I became a safer driver. I'm a troublemaker at times so I learned to keep my mouth shut.No doubt, stronger and wiser 😛

SamL Level 7 Dec 27, 2017

I think it's not literally true, as we can be physically weakened by illness or injury, but the figurative meaning holds true: if we aren't destroyed, the experience adds to who we are and enriches us. I think this is in line with what Nietzsche meant.

Unless it's an ongoing physical condition...I agree with @MsOliver and @resserts.

When we handle traumatic hardships gracefully. We often move to a higher energy level. If we don't, we weaken.

Yes and no. There are a lots of tough times in our lives where can look back and maybe indentify ways in which we have grown from that time. However, something like Dementia doesn't Kill you, and almost certainly doesn't make you stronger. 'what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger' is one of those sayings which sound good. But clearly isn't always entirely accurate

I agree! Turn your negatives in to positive energy

Maybe several individual hardships over a short period of time can cause death.

What doesn't kill us can cripple us. But we can gain different kinds of strength from different kinds of pain.

I strongly disagree with this saying. There are too (please, notice how I know the difference between "to" and "too". I've seen the misuse of "to" TOO many times!) many people who are walking around with big issues due to circumstances that "didn't kill them" and those same circumstances didn't "make them stronger".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10898
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.