Agnostic.com

17 1

Have you ever been awakened by a dream and been either sweating, laughing, or crying from the content?

Did you recall the details?
Was it a good experience or one you wish wouldn't happen?
Did you write it down?

• 4 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 35 votes
  • 5 votes
CallMeDave 8 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've recently taken to drawing scenes from some of my dreams.

I once thought that trumpie was elected and woke up saying what a dream. Then the realization hit me.

Marine Level 8 June 21, 2018

I had one where a famous author, most likely William Burroughs, but looking a lot like Vincent Price, without the mustache, in a dark suit, quoted a few lines from an obscure writer I had never heard of, but whom I clearly should have, and then he walked away, ignoring me completely. I woke up with the words ringing through my head. I googled them to see if it was real, but nothing came up.

bad dreams bad nights chasing old jobs old bosses trying to do better in my world gone bad

sounds like the result of a lot of work stress, and trials of modern existence.

Had one where I thought I destroyed the universe. I woke up sweating, with my heart racing.

That would disturb just about anyone

Many times. But the one that stands out, I don't remember the actual dream. Just when I awoke, I had an overwhelming feeling of dread and left my only recourse was to shot myself. Which I didn't do, but it was hard to resist the urge.

Forebearence is a wonderful thing. Keep on resisting

I was a teenager last my nightmare occurred, some sixty years ago. It occurred a number of times starting about four. I was four and in the back of a car going over the edge of a precipice off a mountain road in Wyoming. My stepfather at the time drove drunk, and we lived in Wyoming. My grandmother said he had driven off a mountain road and killed himself.

EdEarl Level 8 June 17, 2018

Wait, the dreams happened first or his cliff driving? Either way, sorry to hear about that.

@CallMeDave Cliff driving occurred when I was very young, about 4. Nightmares till I was a teen.

Not sure if my dreams are what everybody has but I've had repetitive dreams, not the same but with the same theme, in this case water and things floating or sinking, my dad used to have them too.
I've also killed someone in a dream and I've also been shot. Some of my dreams are very odd - a line of dwarves, shuffling along a wall and jumping down a well (there's more to the scene but that's the gist) I've fallen in love in a dream. I've had sex with, a them, very high profile woman, who I didn't fancy one iota, I've been up to no good in dreams etc
There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when I have a dream or if I'll remember it but I have woken with a feeling of having really experienced something.

Better knock the late night cheese on the head 🙂

ipdg77 Level 8 June 17, 2018

Me too with the having experienced something. Whatever dreams are, they are not fruitless, IMHO.

I once dreamed that nasty people were chasing me and i was scared. i thought I had eluded them but they caught me and threw a large dirty blanket over me. i started to scream and i woke up making an awful noise. my poor dog was on the bed with me and he jumped off the bed barking. i was really in a sweat. needless to say i was scared to go back to sleep. a little brandy was helpful. haha

I suspect your dog might have partially covered your face while you were both asleep?

I get serial dreams, repetitive dreams and predictable dreams.

Me too. Isn’t it crazy? Sometimes I wake up and when I go back to sleep I pick up right where I stopped dreaming. When I retired from work I got involved in a lot of volunteer work. Then I had the same dream almost every night. I dreamed I was back at work but they weren’t paying me because I was retired. I finally got the message that I was overdoing it. The dream stopped when I dropped some of the work.

I'm retired by 6 years and I dream I'm working all the time. I usually go to speak and nothing comes out of my mouth. I usually can't remember which company I am representing.

When I’m going through severe stress, I wake crying and sometimes, gasping for breath; a few times, woke retching. Once woke from a nightmare that some creature was coming up over the foot of my bed: when I woke, I had my handgun pointed at where I dreamed it was. I had somehow got the gun out of the drawer, and its holster, before being aware of it. (I lived alone at the time; when others are here the gun is locked).

One more reason there are no firearms in my home. I have a baseball bat though.

I dream every single time I fall asleep. They are rarely pleasant. I also wake up with sweat around my neck, too. There are times when I wake up with a jolt; usually reaching out at something. My dreams are very vivid. My husband laughs and tells me that my dreaming is really me in an alternative universe

He may be right, depending on how one defines a universe.
I like the sensation of dreaming before I am totally asleep, often during naps during the day. But if they were disturbing dreams I probably would not.

One time I woke up with a gasp for breath and I reached out like something was a little towards my right in front of me. I was a little disoriented and startled or even slightly worried.

I wonder if it was a tangible object in your dream or something ephemeral, like an aura.

@CallMeDave Whatever it was, the whole experience had me somewhat disoriented and a bit scared to tell you the truth. It was a feeling of almost being helpless because whatever it was didn't seem like I could protect myself against it because it wasn't a solid being. Probably because it wasn't real lol. That was the only time I've ever experienced it. I have also had the occasional feeling like I'm falling when I get woken up, but that has been few and far between also. I think that feeling was mostly when I was younger.

This happens to me pretty frequently. I almost always recall my dreams. I can almost always, while I am dreaming, realize that I am and change what is going on if I don’t like it or wake myself up. There have only been a handful of times I couldn’t. I have a reoccuring dream and I never have been able to bring myself out of it and I am terrified in the dream and wake up drenched in sweat and usually crying. I dream I am riding in a car. Its an older car. Seems like maybe a 50s model and I am in the front seat and a man is driving. I dont’ know who it is. I have never seen his face, only his hands. We are driving very fast towards a cliff and I am screaming and crying and begging him to stop but he has no reaction and I can’t get out of the car. Evenutally we go over and I wake up. I have been having this dream since I was about 16 years old probably 8-10 times a year.

Cliffs, falling and cars seem to be prevalent. If you are ever hitchhiking, be careful which ride you accept.

@CallMeDave wonder what it means

When I have one there will be several in next few weeks. They resurrect memories i would rather bury for good. Psych doc has been trying for years but nothing stops them!

BillF Level 7 June 17, 2018

I have heard that pot use stops dreams, or stops the recollection of them.

I remember one where my last memory before waking up was the feeling of being ripped apart. I spent at least half an hour just recovering from that. Another was when I just woke up... smiling. That was this morning, actually. The dreams which end in me waking up feeling happy are the dreams involving my old crushes/loves. I've had them a few times. They've never even involved anything romantic. It's just been me and her laughing and having fun together. It just leaves me waking up generally feeling good about the world.

For me the people from my past who visit are so crystal clear. It is like having their company again. I don't have violent dreams, that I remember anyhow. One lucky thing.

@CallMeDave Definitely lucky. It's only happened a couple of times, but when it has, I've been distressed for the entire day. Of course, when I have a dream about old friends, I'm smiling for the entire day. So swings and roundabouts.

I usually wake up in sweats, they have been classified as night terrors. They are usually so vivid I can recall every detail down to smells and feelings. I have had them so long I have grown a tolerance to them.

A cross to bear. I used to wake up totally unsure who or where I was. It happened repeatedly and I sought medical help. They did brain scans etc etc looking for tumors or blood blockage. All negative, knock on wood. So it was chalked up to stress.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:109079
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.