Agnostic.com

9 1

Do family members treat you differently as they found out you have a different belief system?

They pray for me...

Apokryphos 3 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My family was so hardcore conservative Christian that I was not allowed to watch anything secular, other than sci-fi because that's what my mom's 2nd husband liked. My viewing opportunities were narrowed down to Luney Tunes, the 700 Club, the xtian soap opera called Another Life that followed right behind the insane Pat Robertson show, & any of the vapid, extremely fake, squeaky-clean, family programs that came on. I was also forbidden to listen to any secular radio. Xtian rock it was. I hated it. Still do. In fact xtian music & country music still make me cringe.

Anyway, early on I became aware that I would never live up to their standards & soon after that revelation I discovered that I had zero desire to do so anyway. As the years went on I discovered that not a single, solitary one of those people that I am related to even live up to the standards they hold everyone else to. My church friends (only friends because I was not allowed to hang out w/anyone unless they were a fundamentalist xtian) were entirely more effed up than any other kid that I grew up with.

I'm not religious. I have no need for it. If someone else is I don't care, but I will probably steer clear from them. In reading about religion off & on for the past decade I have discovered that the xtian religion is dwindling, not growing. These people are (not surprisingly) terrible recruiters & I sometimes wonder if it would have made any difference--had my family had been nice to me--as to whether or not I had become a xtian myself.

I can't escape this mind frame as it has been prevalent in every job I have had. Thank Dog for my sense of humor. I have been able to overcome a lot of this harsh reality simply because there isn't much that I can't make fun of in my head. I now laugh about most of it & have had as little to do with my family as possible because as an adult I now have a choice on whether or not to surround myself with such hypocritical nonsense.

Wait, that xtian soap opera was either called Another Life or Another World. It was hilarious.

none of mine will speak to me anymore. the few that do I found out they are also either atheist and or agnostic.

They knew since I was a little boy I was Different. I just keep proving them Right. I am the only Male left for my 4 sisters. I Made it to 64 in one piece and excellent health with a Life My Own Way. They Have No Choice But To See Me for What I Am. I do have a sister that is a Minister, the Senior Sister. That I Am The Boss Of Me Is Nothing New For My Family!!!!! Hector been Hector since Childhood.

Absolutely. I am not an Atheist, but my beliefs are different than how I was raised. They do treat me differently because of it I believe.

Issa Level 5 Dec 27, 2017

Every christmas my aunt gives me a bible; this year she upgraded to an electronic version. I smile, give her a hug and re-gift it to her the following year.

That is cute, I like that.

Nice!

@noellemay Yea; she is an ordained minister but I love her anyway. There are some things I like about her and those are my focus.

I recently had a discussion with my 90 yr old mother. She argues less with me these days. Since I was 16 I have rejected Judaism as a religion,but not a culture.

I was 8 when I started to question and begin to reject christian bible topics. And at such a young age I struggled to fake it weekly but I didnt want to endure the consequences from my open choices so I hid. My mother and I have an acceptable understanding now as I learned later that her father was a closet agnostic.

Yes. Some won't talk to me anymore. I took them all off of FB. They're too religious to even question their beliefs.

I know, my little sister thinks the world is only 6k years old and that the whole field of science was a conspiracy to drive people away from a deity - it is difficult to know what to do with that. She is definitely into the full cult system when you hear that. As if the world's age is a determinant of a higher power in existence. It is ludicrous.

Yep

Yes in a way. Certain family members tend not to talk to religion around me out of respect. I love that they do that. Other family members, nah. They still talk about their god around me and such even though they know it makes me roll my eyes so hard I think I damage my brain!!! xD

No, not really, My entire adult life, I was considered as one of the two intellectual black sheep in the family: "a Likeable guy, but a little "off."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10964
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.