Agnostic.com

7 10

To do after one’s inner voice and conscience, rather than as being told?!

It is not easy for me to follow “blind” believers, as they march behind those preachers, not asking „why, how come and I question this.”
Too many incidents come to mind where such blind following lead onto the wrong paths and often into disasters.

Society as a whole views us critical thinkers often „as lead astray“ as we follow our own ways.

WikkiE 3 June 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Critical thought is only one aspect to a well-developed personality though. A good relationship with one's emotions and intuition, developed access to the higher functions such as compassion, empathy and loving-kindness, and a solid morality all contribute. I wouldn't call these things spirituality.

Denker Level 7 June 20, 2018

Actually, I agree with you, as the word “spiritual” is ladled on way too much these days. I’d replace it with caring and compassion.

This seems to be a problem inherent to many fields of endeavor.

To be a "true believer" is purely and simply contrary to my inner core, my sense of who I am and who I want to be. As a young person, I was a "seeker" vulnerable to consideration of religious and political ideologies as I sought to define myself. Today, I refuse to be the captive of any religion or "ism." I, and I alone, am personally responsible for my actions and choices and their consequences.

Well ... Allow me share a little story. Beforehand I must say that I got knowledge of this story less than 10 years ago. This might appear to be a trivial detail, but I thinks it's an important one. Let's say I learned about the story about 70 years after it happened.
The story is that of a a Jeiwsh family, a couple with their daughter, who ended up in a low security concentration camp near Cologne.This family was facing certain deportation and subsequent death in one extermination camp.
One afternoon their maid decided to free them in the most audacious fashion. Armed with 3 overcoats she walked into the camp. On B her way in she flirted with one of the guards and told him that she was picking up her parents who were working in the kitchen. Once inside she searched for her previous employers gave them the coats to hide the infamous yellow start that was compulsorily attached to the Jews garments and had to be ostentatiously displayed. Once it was the end of the shift the 4 people walked just out. The maid made sure to pass the guards she had flirted with.
Several years the Jewish family was hidden one the maid's parents' farm and survived the war.
When asked after the war shy she had committed such an act of braver, she just replied that it was her Christian duty.
This story is authentic!

Touching story of a conscientious human being who was a Christian. IF there were more empathetic and caring humans within the religious Christian community, I would be more enthused to say “Bravo!” As they would of walked the talk. However, past and present situations tell us that it ain’t like that too often.

@WikkiE correct ...

I always said "I will do what is right, not what is popular"

How do you know what is right?

@PontifexMarximus How do you not?

I love this. A friend of mine posted this on FB and l shared it. Perfect!

Replace spiritual with free thinking ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:109775
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.