Agnostic.com

6 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The less educated and wealthy people are, the larger the family they have. The better educated people understand that we have limited resources, and want their children to have every advantage.

Large families came when there were many children lost young in life, and children were the way to work the farm. That no longer applies to the areas and people of poverty.

Ending planned parenthood, is terrible, and not allowing abortions will bring unwanted children in the world. Allowing abortions greatly reduced the crime rate, and their is no joy in life for an unwanted children. If the GOP wants to restrict abortion, they they have support pre-natal care. Early education nutrition, support for young parents, pre-school and real schools where their children to go to, not our inner city disasters. It costs money as a society to change it for the better.

For every $1 spent on pre-school, we save $10 in future prison costs. But politicians terms are at most 8 years, so investing on something with long term benefits doesn't help their careers.

The rich 1% have taken 60% of our nations wealth since the 1970s, so it's not that we can't afford it, the upper 1% is too greedy. We could take care of every child and send everyone to college, the best investment this country could make.

Bob

My life growing up with a single mother.

Born equal....hahahaha only one thing separates us into groups....money, not education, not experience, nothing but chance and money...PERIOD

After tens of thousands of years of watching this play out, you'd think we'd finally give a damn about the poor and suffering.

it is like the rediscovery of America

btroje Level 9 June 18, 2018

I just read an article about how women have to break the pregnant ceiling before getting to the glass ceiling (hitting the maternal wall before hitting a glass ceiling - NY Times). Unfortunately, reality is reality. People in poverty often exacerbate their poverty through ignorance (financial knowledge is not inborn) or cultural mores. I saw a picture of a woman - looked like in her 30's with 5 kids including a newborn. She worked at Walmart. If you don't have money to make a decent life for yourself how in the hell would having kids help? It doesn't and only makes for more people growing up in poverty. I read that this country was one of the very few that the fertility rate actually went down during the great depression. DUH!!!

Maybe she didn’t have insurance and couldn’t afford birth control. Or daddy dearest couldn’t afford condoms. Yes there is that thing called abstinence but if you’re married how does that work?

@kltuckmn It used to be that you could get birth control and condoms for free, or at least cheap, at Planned Parenthood, but "conservatives" are doing everything they can to stop that. Every sperm is sacred...

@ghost_warlock key words "used to"

@ghost_warlock It's not just conservatives but some cultures and religions. I came from 7 kids and my father was Catholic. This was before the 'pill' but even so he wanted more kids because the church told him. My mom didn't care. He had to work a lot to afford us and didn't like it when she got part-time jobs. I have to say, though, we had a great family life and life was good.
Unfortunately, I see a lot of minorities both native and immigrants that have larger families. This has been shown that our immigration accounts for 2/3 or the population growth both directly and indirectly (from the higher birth rate within the 1st generation).

@kltuckmn It doesn't! I won't accept not being able to afford birth control. There are plenty of programs out there that help + how expensive is it. Getting back to my comment about financial knowledge, how difficult is it to realize an ounce of prevention counters a pound of later expenses? There was no mention of a daddy. I group called Engender Health has a program called MAP (Men as Partners). It focuses on helping men realize they are also responsible. [engenderhealth.org]

My grandmother used to tell me they had always planned on 6 kids, and then the depression hit. My dad was oldest and was born in 1923. Then there were 3 more. I don't know how they handled birth control, I never thought to ask that.

@HippieChick58 There have always been ways of controlling fertility. A great series called Medieval farm showed a woman (of course) cleaning out pig's intestines to make condoms. Some are funny. The series "Victoria" showed her conferring with some women staff. She was scared about giving birth. Later, it showed her getting up from bed and going into the next room. Albert went looking for her and found her jumping up and down on a sofa!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:109856
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.