Agnostic.com

7 18

Hi all. Well I've had my share of debates, conversations and arguments about religion and it gets tiring. So, in an effort to help our younger members and to save you some time, breath and sanity I suggest that you read "The Righteous Mind" (Why Good People Differ About Politics and Religion). You can get a cheap copy online. It will explain to you that facts don't matter, it's all about emotion and a need to belong to a group. You can't/won't change their minds.

As you know the religious can't deal with situations like where both teams pray before a game and one team wins and one loses. Does god hate one team? Teaching them a lesson? Is it god's plan or man's free will? We think that when little kids have an imaginary friend it's cute but adults with imaginary friends are grounds for the psych unit, why is religion different? All the good things that happen is god's grace and all the bad is man's free will. Convenient.

Anyway, the book kinda reads like a sociology text book but has some great insight and a few things you maybe never thought about like: We see faces in clouds but we don't see clouds in faces. It's based on our innate need to protect ourselves.

I used to enjoy "religious" debates thinking I could show them how religion is irrational. They don't care. Find another hobby. 🙂

lerlo 8 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They walk in with god on their shoulder and you are just wrong. The wilder the story the more they believe.

In a way I understand. Mark Twain understood emotion most often beats reason. Also, religion is just one area where people are intransigent about hearing other views. I have come into liberals who are just as closed minded about things that tend to stroke their good feelings. I have had debates with those who refuse facts, evidence or any kind of critical thinking. They are as loyal to their cause as their conservative counterparts.

However, I know people can and do change their views if approached in the right manner (I have witnessed and even been a part of numerous changes). I know for a fact, the messenger can often get through when the message cannot. Many of us on this site have gone through and are still open for changes in our philosophy. Often it takes one tipping point to turn a person in another direction. I also feel, strongly, that what is going on in this country today will be a major factor in how people, especially the youth, view religion and the importance of a strong, efficient government.

Debates are never to convince you opponent but the audience is up for grabs.

gearl Level 8 Dec 27, 2017

Just once, I want to hear a football player thank natural selection for his team's victory.

Duke Level 8 Dec 27, 2017

Save your breath. Don't have a stroke. Walkaway.

I'm with you, i can't be bothered to argue with holy rollers, its a waste of time, I have WAY better things to do with my time as this is the only life I'm gonna get, have to try to make the best of it. LOL...

I agree that they don't care, they don't care what is true, their "belief" or want to believe over rides any proof or reality. I have even been told, "I don't care if it's not true, it's right!"

Amen.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11009
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.