Agnostic.com

28 4

Would you buy 'Made in America' even when it would be more expensive than a comparable product?

How patriotic are you?

atheist 8 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For me the answer is fairly simple and it comes down to quantity versus quality. It is better to pay more for a product that is going to last longer and it saves time and the expense of having to replace it more frequently....

I would and I try, but it’s difficult, here’s why... my opinion. Wow... American industry has failed Americans... qualifier... when manufacturing had to answer to stockholders, the bottom line replaced quality. Obsolete factories, obsolete equipment, higher wages, inefficiency crept into american manufacturing in the 1960’s, maybe earlier. “Look For The Union Label”, it really did mean quality, made in America used to mean quality, not so much any more... unless you’re able to pay more. Of course the politicos used this as an excuse to bash the labor unions, some unions were corrupt (???), some not as much. The unions really did protect their workers.
The obsolete factories, equipment wasn’t replaced, it was cheaper to move offshore, subsidized by countries begging US industries to move to Asia, Africa, MX, Central America, all promissing cheap labor, it worked. By the 1990’s most US industries were manufacturing everywhere else in the world but here, few exceptions. Some industries survived.
The bottom line = stock holders = greed... (here we find the 1 - 2 % er’s)

Tomas Level 7 Jan 24, 2018

I do it all the time (when I can). It has little to do with 'patriotism.' It has a lot to do with pragmatism. Buying products made with hard earned labor benefits all of us in this country. Buying cheaper stuff harms the American laborer. Unfortunately, it is sometimes hard to get things made in this country.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11091
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.