Agnostic.com

35 5

Do you believe in good and bad?

Personally I feel it is nothing more than a generalized idea, because everyone has a different opinion on what it means to them, so it lacks factual validity, but I want all of your opinions, what do you think?

maldunc98 4 June 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is a tough one to answer. I have seen good people do bad things and vice versa. But I also think that both are survival mechanisms. I do agree that it is a generalized idea because society so often wants one or the other to explain away things. I don't know how many times that I have heard things like: he was a good neighbor and I can't understand why he would have murdered his wife or she was such a bad kid growing up, now look at well she turned out. Great question, definitely has me thinking about it.

Great perspective!

Good and bad are subjective and extremely limited.

I prefer life affirmative and life negating or various other ways to describe opposing forces in nature and the natures of our kind.

It also discloses evil in the form of life thwarting actions committed and perpetuated by religions against those trapped in them from the earliest stages of life.

Positive / Negative It's what balances the planet. Good/bad is subjective

That's a good perspective on it RoseyRose.

Possibly a question of intent rather than action.

"Good" definition

adjective, better; best

1. morally excellent; virtuous; righteous; pious: a good man.
  2. satisfactory in quality, quantity, or degree: a good teacher; good health.
  3. of high quality; excellent.

"Bad" definition

adjective, worse; worst

1. not good in any manner or degree.
  2. having a wicked or evil character; morally reprehensible:
  3. of poor or inferior quality; defective; deficient: a bad diamond; a bad spark plug.

Source: dictionary.com

I think the human race defines them pretty well.

Are you speaking of objective absolutes? In that case, no.

It does lack factual validity. That said, I do believe there is a 'good' in the broader sense of things that are good for or to the majority of people. It may not be 'good' in some cosmic sense, or as taken apart from the interests of those involved, but it still exists subjectively. The same for 'bad'.

Well said!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:111576
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.