Agnostic.com

7 3

Children: Yes or no?

I am aware that I'm not the only one here who doesn't have children.

I hope that if this is also you, that you might be happy enough to share why, and if it has effected your life, either positively or negatively.

For me, I always wanted children. Since I was one. My greatest goal in life was to, "Raise children right in this fucked up world".

You see, my parents weren't exactly contenders for parents of the year.....

And I was determined to have children and raise them with love and honour and respect. But mostly, a whole lot of love. 🙂

Now, my father has at least 8 children with 5 different women (that we know of). He talks about his 7 children, but confided in me once that I had an even older brother out there somewhere.

So there was NO way I was going to be like him!

Hence, I waited until I was 24 before having sex for the first time. Sure, part of it was the church's influence to wait for marriage, but mostly I just refused to become my father.

(Incidentally, I didn't quite make it to marriage, but that is a story for another time)....

When I did get married, 4 days after my 26th birthday, I was so ready to start a family!

However, there was a problem.....

Prior to getting married, my wife was (seemed) just as excited as I was to have a family. We were going to enjoy our first year of marriage first, and then start trying.

Well, soon after we got married, she told me that actually, she wanted to have a career first.

Now, there's of course nothing wrong with that, but I was now looking at not becoming a father not until well into my 30s; the goal-posts had changed drastically.

Due to unrelated events, we separated after about 18 months.

I have met a few women since then that I could have had children with, but it never eventuated.

About 5 years ago, I was seeing a woman who had two great teenage children. Then she started asking about having another one.

And for the very first time in my life, I was no longer sure that I wanted children.

I thought about it for some time, but in the end I had to tell her that no, I didn't want kids anymore. We broke up shortly afterwards, for that reason.

Sadly, she never forgave me for it. I've remained in contact with a few ex's; she isn't one of them. Oh, I've tried, just to see how she and her kids are doing, but to no avail.

But it was from this moment on that I began to transition to a place of absolutely not wanting children.

Initially, it was because of my age. Mid-30s. It would take time for it to happen, and I never wanted to be an old father. My father is 40 years older than my sister, and they have NOTHING in common whatsoever.

It then also partially became about social responsibility. My family breed like rabbits. With 15 nephews and nieces (and counting), I stopped feeling responsible for passing on the family genes some time ago.

Besides, some of my family are total arseholes; what if I brought one them into the world? 😉

Seriously though, I've been watching our global population growth for some time now, and I actually feel I am being more responsible regarding the continuance of the species by not having children.

It has been a process, going from definitely wanting children, to not sure, to definitely not. Even a grieving process, of sorts.

But I am happy with my decisions. Not just content, and at peace about them, but genuinely happy.

It is perhaps the single most selfish and yet also selfless decision I've ever made.

Selfless, because I genuinely believe I've made the best choice for me to positively impact the continuance of the species.

Selfish, because I can continue to live the life of adventure I've come to love, without the burden of responsibility.

I know my family doesn't understand my choice from a social conscience standpoint; they just think I'm selfish, refusing to grow up.

Well, I've done the 'grown up' thing, and it doesn't suit me.

The most popular 'couple' I went to school with got pregnant straight out of school, and got married (because that was what was required of them).

I visited them a few years later.

They seriously sat me down in the lounge, and asked, "So Kreig. When are you going to settle down? Don't you want a family? You really don't know the joy you're missing out on"!

My response at the time?

"Sure, I'd like a family. But do you know what? I just got back from 3 months in Hawaii. On the way there, we parked our billion dollar submarine right where the Equator crosses the International Dateline, had a party, and I swam in 5km deep water.

So for the moment, I'm good thanks".

Then I thanked them for their hospitality, and left. Driving away grinning like the Cheshire Cat. 😀

So at the end of the day, we all make our choices. I have made mine. My 40th birthday present to myself, coming up in March, is two-fold:

1. A vasectomy.

2. A Great White Shark cage dive.

Selfish? Sure; I can live with that. 😉

Kreig 7 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I got a vasectomy at 24 years old. I don't think there's anything selfish about it. People that say that kind of thing are pieces of crap. If you ask someone why they want kids, it's usually selfish too. Also, I think we need to find different words for varying degrees of selfishness. Selfish when you are looking out for yourself at the detriment of others is definitely a bad thing. Making a decision to not create a human being because you do not think it would be a good idea for whatever reason, seems absurd.

I have two kids and I love them both. When they were small the pleasure I received as I watch the look of amazement on their faces with each new experience EX: A Lori bird landing on a finger to consume an apple slice she was holding. Or when she jumped on my lap and started swiping her hand back and forth across my chest. I asked her what was she doing. Her reply was mom said we should butter you up. We want to go to magic mountain. Now they're grown and they only call when they want money. lol

I have one son who is 18...and I personally believe people should have one child now...I never got remarried so I never had the relationship I wanted to procreate with...I have friends that have 3 kids and I'm like are they insane...the energy children suck outta ya is mind blowing

Well, it's a moot point, and a lot depends on the family. Some people really want children in theory but do not understand how to take care of them. Some people don't have time to take care of children and work. I was also very angry when I was not allowed to leave my job and had to look for a nanny at [myasiannanny.com] . I was lucky that I was then able to recover quickly and get back into the business. Now I have three kids, and I manage to do everything except work around the house.

I too never wanted children. I was always a part of the zero population growth movement. Zero population growth is if you absolutely have to have children have two at the most. I meet so many people that are critical of my decision to not become a parent. I've even lost my last relationship because I don't like kids, and am not family oriented. He felt thats all women were good for , and could not handle one who disliked them.So now I just tell people who hit me with "why don't you have kids?" I tell them i have nothing against goats. Ha! Ha! Get it? A kid is a baby goat.

I don't remember wanting to have kids when I got older I was a kid, as a teenager I said DEFINITELY NOT. Though, now? I still linger between yes and no. I don't want to bring a kid into this world especially if they turn out to be an asshole despite me trying my best, i've seen it happen with my mom's son.. he is a HORRIBLE person with a woman who if Satan was real.. would be his WIFE. He also has nothing to do with our mom. But I keep catching "Baby fever" as they put it. I like being able to be free and not worry about the responsibility of a little person's well being. It's also way TOO expensive. So, i've decided I will go into child care because I am good at taking care of kids, also it brings in a pay check and is what is needed in this area, and... I think it would be great birth control so to speak and remind me why I don't want kids whenever I get Baby Fever. So... maybe after 5 years of dealing with kids, i'll see if I really want kids. But if I did have kids, I'd feel it would be selfish of me. Because i'd be bringing them into this god awful world and my family history involves a lot of mental and physical health issues. Cancer, Heart disease, Bipolar and Schizophrenia to name a few. So, I think it'd would be best to not pass along my genes. If I really really wanted children though, with taking all of that into the equation and I had the money, I think I would adopt. Because I know what it's like to feel abandoned and have an empty spot in your heart and constantly trying to fill it. So I stay on birth control and wrap it up. If for some reason I somehow got pregnant by accident.... I would be the asshole that aborts the poor kid. I wouldn't want the kid to suffer with the mental or physical health issues. I know abortion is seen as murder, but it would be my choice and I would be the one who has to deal with the knowledge knowing that I killed something innocent.

I've been sitting here wondering how much I want to reveal....

I don't ever remember wanting kids when I was growing up. My sister, yes, me no. But while in college there was an unplanned pregnancy - we got married - 2 yrs later divorced. I struggled as a single parent for several years and often in those early years wondered what my life would have been like if I hadn't gotten pregnant. In my late 20's I was thinking maybe I wanted another child but by my early 30's that changed again. Now, I am a grandmother, and I couldn't ask for anything better. I see it as my reward for hanging in there and struggling as a single mom. I love and appreciate those kids more than anything. And I wouldn't have that, if I hadn't had my daughter, plus I'm a great grandmother (literally and figuratively)! On the other hand, I don't think I was as good a mom as someone who really wanted to have kids. I made selfish choices and would not win any mother of the year awards, but I did the best I knew how and that's all anyone can do.

18 year old me - No kids
67 year old me - ???
There's no easy answer and everyone needs to decide for themselves. And I don't think that it is selfish if you decide not to.

Gee Kreig. Go climb man... never pass up the opportunity to adventure till you settle down. Go have some fun. Can't say more than that...

@Kreig. Yea!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11194
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.