Agnostic.com

3 3

LINK All on a Sunday, this pastor delivered a sermon, took out an active shooter and expertly treated the wounded - The Washington Post

This guy was a certified firing-range safety instructor, had his concealed carry license, AND had received active shooter training. So he was no ordinary "good guy with a gun". In addition, he was also a EMT who treated the wounded (shot by the shooter) after the he shot the shooter. I'm still wondering, but mind you I wasn't there, was it necessary to KILL the guy? Why not shoot him to take him him down and then let the police and mental health people take over? (The shooter was apparently in the midst of a paranoid episode. But the pastor saw him moving in the director of his-the pastor's-family. So he took action.)

BookDeath 8 June 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can't read the Post, but I'll comment anyway.

With my highly trained background ... not, This would be my take: If someone is shooting people and I have a weapon, I'm going to neutralize the shooter as quickly as possible and that probably means killing her/him. This minister was trained to do this and he obviously did an outstanding job.

Firearms training classes, police, and military (all?) teach to shoot for center of mass (a killing shot). It is considered fool-hardy to do anything less. Shooting to disable does not stop the threat inasmuch as a wounded person can still represent a threat (continue firing). As a matter of fact, training entities stress continue firing until the threat is neutralized (helpless on the ground). To suggest that someone should shoot to wound rather than firing until the subject is neutralized is a glaring example of how naive the non-shooting public is.

Oh come on. I hate generalizations like that. I'm not a firearm owner.

I do like archery, knives and stuff like that, though.

@AstralSmoke It is not a generalization dip shit. Consult any police dept.

@dahermit "a glaring example of how naive the non-shooting public is." sounds like a generalization to me.

@AstralSmoke An example of why it is not a generalization. I have been involved in the shooting sports for most of my 75 years. I have collected, competed, performed my own gunsmithing, loaded my own ammunition, cast my own bullets, read the magazines, participated in the gun-related forums for years. It is accurate to say that I have a "basis" for commenting on the subject of firearms. However, consider that I am not Catholic, was not raised in a Catholic home or tradition, have not attended Catholic church or Catholic parochial school, nor have any interest in the tenets of Catholicism. Therefore, it would be accurate to say that I have no basis of which to speak with authority on the tenets of Catholicism. Relative to firearms and the non-shooting public, they have no basis of which to speak with authority on the subject of firearms (or the standards of firearms training). But, yet despite having no basis the non-shooting public continue to voice their, by definition, ignorant opinions about something they know nothing about. If they had the basis, they would not be non-shooting public, they would be in fact, "shooting" public. In short, it is not a "generalization" to say they are naive relative to the subject, it is accurate.

@dahermit I beg to differ. Shootings, especially school shootings are a public concern and a private one of mine. Do you carry around assault rifles with you? If you legally do, then it becomes a concern of mine. If you don't, but still have one; it's a concern of mine.

I'm not a virgin gun shooter. But It is a sport I never got into for various reasons.

It doesn't take a very observant person to see the damage military style weaponry can invoke.

The last time I checked, the US was suppose to be a democratic country. Guns and gun ownerships affect me as they do every citizen.

Generalization: Yes it is. We/they possibly see the problem from a different angle. One that you haven't considered yet and possibly one that you should think about.

I hope you don't want a military government. I don't, but I do want a police force that is equipped and well-trained to perform their duties/jobs. Better pay is way past due. I want to see the States' manufacturing of assualt weapons band and making the ownership of such weapons illegal.

Legally concealed firearms does not make me feel safer. There have to be tons of people that carry who aren't sufficiently trained and/or mentally stable. Our healthcare system needs a redirection, but that's a completely different topic.

Finally, I don't have anything personal against Catholics, other than they don't believe in the huge, slimy, spaghetti monster. 😉

@AstralSmoke Your post is off the current topic. The subject of her post was, in general, a claimed change in procedure and her perceived change in political climate relative to such. Your post answers/responds to a post not made, suggesting an emotional influence rather than logical. I made no statement about assault weapons, wanting a "military government", or what perceived damage a "military weapon can do". When I joined this site, I was hoping for a higher level of intelligence, less emotional rhetoric, but have been sorely disappointed.

Shoot to kill is the New normal. No more "innocent until proven guilty" or "has an illness"...just Kill!

Read my comment above yours. It has naught to do with any "new normal". It has always been a standard of firearms training. Don't take my word for it, ask your local police agency.

@dahermit uuuummm, talk them down, using force sufficient to control the situation, discharging a weapon as a last resort? You missed All of that? Can't think why.....
And i have had at least 5 courses on weapons training in my almost-70 years, started shooting at age 12.......

@AnneWimsey I'm thinking this is a little different situation. The guy was shooting. The preacher had to react quickly. No chance for conversation. His quick and accurate response saved lives in this instance. He just happened to be a preacher which clouds the situation for the 'non-believer'. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

@AnneWimsey Talk them down?!! He had already shot people. Please pull your head from your ass before you post.

@dahermit This could have been a good topic, but you sir are quickly ruining it. Is this how you convince people?

@AstralSmoke I was framing an aplology, as I meant to post my answer above on another fpthread where it was quite applicable, a general discussion of current police responses to a specific case (antwon).
Somehow it ended up here, where I actually 100% agree that deadly response IS the correct one. However, now that I have pulled my own head from my own ass, the very rude "dahermit" can kiss my ass.......and thank you "astralsmoke"!

@AnneWimsey Thanks for clarifying. You're a beautiful lady.

@AstralSmoke A manifestation of my frustration with persons who demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger Effect. They are not capable (not intelligent enough), to be convinced. So, you are correct, it is my failing, not theirs.

@dahermit I'm not sure you read it, but her reasoning is sound. She mistakenly posted the wrong reply on the wrong website. You jumped all over her and began calling her names. If you can't be civil, than I will report you to admin. A warning should be sufficient.

@AstralSmoke Her "reasoning" is not sound. "Shoot to kill is the New normal. No more "innocent until proven guilty" or "has an illness"...just Kill!" Shoot to kill has AWAYS been the standard. Her post was naught but a personal, emotional, and inaccurate political diatribe with no basis in fact. Report me if you will, I have fourth stage lymphoma, so as Yoda would say: "A shit I do not give."

@dahermit Are you able to read! Process what you read? Apparently not....

@AnneWimsey 138 I.Q., with as many hours of college beyond my Master's degree as a doctor. Yes, it would seem that I read and process what I read very well. Please post your vita for comparison.

@dahermit oh, sweetie, I was tested at 143 at age 11....yet have Never used it as a bludgeon.
BTW It dropped to low 100's after a brain-stem stroke in '87, but has gone back up to "normal" from sheer force of will.
But ain't you special......and apparently doing well under the delusion that you can & do think, how nice......

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:112086
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.