Agnostic.com

14 3

I believe that ultimately there is no overall point to life. With that being said, I do believe, however, that there is of course a purpose each person sets for themself (aka a driving force). I'm curious to hear what said driving force is here for people? I'm still trying to find one myself (assuming there is one to be found).

chrisbojin 3 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is only one purpose of life: Life it self. Meaning of it is up to you.

To me there is a point to life. I think we were born to reproduce; keep the species alive.
What is the point of a dogs life? or an ants?
The purpose is to live. Period.
If you are referring to meaning. Life has the meaning you make for yourself. My life is good because I worked hard and am comfortable enough to enjoy my free time, my family and I can travel.

That seems more along the lines of instinct, as opposed to a point. As we are beings capable of decisions far beyond those of most, if not all other currently known life forms, we (unfortunately depending on one’s reference) can choose to not reproduce/live. Since the choice exists, and one can actively pursue it, I believe it results in there being no point. Things will continue, regardless of one’s choice, be it with or without the person (or even everyone).
That being said, if you feel that is the point that goes in hand with what gives your life meaning, then I can definitely see where you are coming from.
I do have to ask though; would you say it is caring for a family and the other small enjoyments in your life that give you a drive?

I agree with Chris, I don't think that's the point at all. Additionally, I know many people who work so hard and they can barely afford to pay their bills.With all due respect, I think too many people make money and travel and houses and cars and clothes their point to life. It seems like such a waste.

I rambled, obviously. My point was. The purpose is just TO LIVE. I don't think I have a 'drive" I just love being alive, seeing the world, people etc.

I think all the driving forces we need are prewired into human nature. Don't worry about finding a purpose. Follow your natural curiosity. Learn how to vet information you take in stringently. Read books. Lots of them. Don't worry about what other people think. Don't be afraid to drift a while. Play. Feel. Think. When it's time to work, give it all you've got; then give it some more. Find something you can make a positive contribution to and grow it relentlessly. Don't resist change. Never give up. Sometimes a path doesn't become visible until after you've walked it.

skado Level 9 Dec 29, 2017

That last sentence is a rather interesting notion, thank you for that. I do not know what it is exactly that I want to try. But I often am resistant to change, so I can try to be more open to it. Maybe something will present itself, thank you.

Nature is a strange thing that acts as though it has a mind of its own. Creatures, including Man, are made as nature and circumstance requires. Ever hear of the wide mouthed frog. In times of low rains, there offspring are no longer just wide mouth frogs, but not so wide mouth frogs with no sex organs. As water runs out and food runs out the true wide mouth frogs eat the non sex not so wide mouth frogs. Strange one for natural selection to figure out, though many believe in Gia. And the theory certainly has a lot going for it. Are you truly a individual entity or are you a single cell of something much larger?

That is a rather interesting school of thought. But the question still remains, what do you feel the point to be? Even if we are part of something much larger, living or dying shouldn't matter overall for it.

Trillions of micro-organisms are keeping you alive, red blood cells, white, anti-bodies, thoughts might be a little more psychical then we originally thought. That is one hell of a purpose for them. On the other hand, we are made out of more nothing than something, something to do with atoms? We are born and so the purpose would be, being alive. The point reproducing? Well not if you consider how many fish and animals kill/eat their own young in an almost paradoxical way. To breathe oxygen? Well, fish again. To sustain? Well if there was purpose it would be to be biofuel (poop) for plant matter, we're an awful food source by fine for that.
I think your purpose is to be alive?
I return to my motto eat, drink, think, live. Will you have a 'good' life? Comparative to someone yes to another no... You can make your own decisions so thinking, eating/drinking is needed for sustenance and well... Live. Whatever that means to you.

What it means to me is the question I am trying to answer by trying to hear what it means to others. Thank you for sharing.

The purpose is to exist/be alive until we eventually decompose into the earth, beyond that, I can't really say outside the philosophical. Which in itself is philosophical.

no point, but a purpose maybe albeit one originally set in motion by simple chemical reactions that made self replicating molecules.

its all about genes

I'm never sure. I vacillate between: "Yes, there is a point to life," and "No, life is pointless." After a couple of martinis, I'm all in. Life has purpose. But even then it's still not as convincing as it could be.

I am a very indecisive person, so this speaks quite a bit to me, haha. Thank you for sharing.

Sounds like you need a meaning in life. Here's a question, have you tried meditation? It's not for everyone and I do it about once month for me because it doesn't really do it for me, but it does that something that gives me peace of mind.

Meditation makes me very anxious. The notion of clearing my mind makes my mind even more congested with stressful thoughts. I wish I could though, I can see how it can help.

@chrisbojin the next time you give it a try, chant "hu", as in hue. Just 5 to 10 minutes will do. And don't focus, allow things to flow.

I am here.

I am glad of this.

I make the most of every day. Sleep. Wake up. Repeat.

Simple and very nice. I have to say, I am a little bit envious. Thank you for sharing.

Ok. What purpose did Cayley Anthony have?

As far as I have said so far, there is no overall purpose. Just what people feel to be theirs (in other words their drive). Other than that, I do not know what exactly to say... :/

I still have no idea. Half the time, I feel like the only thing keeping me here at all are my two grandbabies. Kids have a way of making even the ugliest world a little more beautiful.

Fair enough, I can see where you are coming from for that. People relying on you can help make things a bit easier, even more so for kids and grandkids (etc.).

My driving force was fighting the worst leukemia AML-5 years of trying to live. Its scary when your life-breathing, walking, eating is all threatened. I have a daughter about your age and she has the same attitude as you. Are you in school? Do you work? Live at home? If you're not happy figure out what you can change. Enjoy living. You might enjoy it.

I feel like I have more to do-places to go, people to meet and I don't feel old. My friends are younger than me.

I had a moment when it looked as if my expiration date was coming due. It was a scary week while I waited for the test results to come in. I cried a lot. But I also decided that if I was sick, I wasn't going to seek treatment, and I was going to eat pizza, drink all the vodka I wanted, and start smoking again.

As it turns out, it was a growth, but it was benign... I go back to that often, and wonder what I would feel like if it went the other way.

I am in university studying chemistry. I do not know what I want. I don’t even know if I am happy doing what I am doing. I am indecisive about everything, and often overthink. Though, once I figure things out (if I do), I will try to work my hardest to achieve it (it is very hard for me to work hard without a goal in mind). I appreciate you sharing your story, and it is quite an amazing feat to overcome such an awful disease, I am glad you pushed through and were lucky and strong enough to overcome it.

I suppose mine is simply to have a positive effect on as many lives as I can and to be truly missed and remembered as a good person after I'm dead and buried.

Unless I die in a freakish wood chipper accident, in which case burial won't likely be necessary.

Haha, well. Let’s hope that that doesn’t happen. Thank you for sharing!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11235
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.