Agnostic.com

15 2

Do you have a rational argument that worked on a religious person?

Poitter 5 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have had many rational conversations with many Christian (or generally religious) folk, but I have never changed anyone's mind. Granted, it's not my goal to change anyone's mind. I guess I'm what you would call a Soft-Atheist. I don't mind that people believe, as long as they aren't hurting anyone, as long as they contribute to humanist causes outside of what they believe, etc. I've caused people to question certain things but most of the time I end up on the receiving end of whatever BS argument that they got from some no-name/low level apologist, or whatever.

Actually there is one i have seen work. Sit them down and watch Monty Python's "Life of Brian" and then discuss the movie. If they aren't all bent out over blasphemy and the like you can make serious progress toward enlightenment.

thank you for actually answering rather then saying 'no it does not work!'

You're welcome

Thank you for that suggestion.

Anything to further the cause.

Too many people are deeply indoctrinated I ask them how long ago was the last so called miracle performed how come there are no recent ones I.e. Get the pope to stand on a Caribbean isle as a hurricane approaches and turn it away but they always have a silly answer I.e. It's gods will

I have friends and relatives tell me that they see and/or believe that miracles happen every day.

depends what they class as miracles i.e. some people class birth and good deeds as such these are natures miracles not an imaginary friends
i was thinking more of turning water into wine. feeding the five thousand giving a blind man his sight back

I consider agnosticism to be the only rational position. religious people remain so by being immune to reason.

Jake Level 1 Oct 15, 2017

well i would disagree, anti-theism, is the only ethical choice for the socially progressive position to take, atheism is the next most useful position to take. and agnosticism is an easier less committal view to take.

I am trying my best these days to avoid those discussions with religious people. I used to engage and think I could have an open and frank discussion, but it has been my experience their minds are closed and there is never an opportunity for rational discussions. The fact that they blindly follow their “faith” suggests there isn’t rational thought occurring ;-

I have lots of rational arguments, but I usually start off (assuming the religious nut started the conversation) with a question.

Before we go any further, is it at all possible that what you believe is untrue?

If they say that it is a possibility, then we have room for discussion.

If they say it's not possible, then I advise them that we can't carry on with rational dialogue because they are closed to possibilities.

That usually stops them in their tracks.

I suspect that if religious people could be reasoned with, there would be no religious people.

most religious people are 'brainwashed from birth' if religion was something introduced at age 18 or 21, then i'm pretty sure that religion would or will have died out within our lifetime.
one thing i have in common with the religious is i have hope that they may understand my point of view.

Yes, and no. I have rational arguments (I prefer debates), but they've never worked on a religious person. You can't argue faith.

I have never seen that epiphany moment where the light goes on and the realization that they may be wrong begins to form in her/his mind. I think more often than not it is a process over a period of time. New ideas take time to "pickle" and it usually takes more than one experience or encounter.

I don't preach to people for a couple of reasons. One, I don't care what they believe as long as they don't try to inflict their beliefs on me or our government. Second, I don't like being preached to so I don't try to force my views on others. That said, if challenged, I will respond respectfully with my views.

if you've never seen that epiphany moment in a person, then you've not presented the correct argument/point/discussion for that person. which was the point of this Thread.

i have and it was glorious, i only convinced a creationist to become a new testament follower, but that in it self was a major victory for me.

Usually I hand them my cell phone and say: "Please get call your god, I need to talk to "him". I've got issues with "his" teachings.

It doesn't matter to me what people believe. What matters to me is if you are organizing to dictate who may sleep with whom, or who can get which health insurance. That said, as to the original question, and I'm going from long experience here, you can present evidence actually supporting theism in general, but if it doesn't dovetail with someone's particular theology, it will get tossed. That said, to be fair, I should mention that academic secular text criticism will also toss anything that looks vaguely theistic.

I disagree with people who say it's a waste of time, period. It can be with indoctrinated people, who say they believe and they do it only on faith. Those people don't care if what they believe is true, they just want to accept it as true. For everyone else, you can use logic, evidence and research to convince them, but you're being irrational if you think they'll stop believing on a dime. It's a long arduous process. You need to first uncover what it is they believe and then go from there. If your goal is to get them to stop believing DON'T start with facts that contradict their beliefs. Start by asking why they believe what they believe. Then get them to look into the facts. It's much easier to convince yourself of something than it is for someone else to do it. Otherwise nobody who was religious would ever stop being religious. And there is no argument that acts like a silver bullet. You just need to practice guiding people to research their beliefs using competent sources, otherwise they do there research on apologetic websites.

My father always reminds me that "nobody wins an argument.

I hope we could make a compilation or some sort of list or guidelines on the "art" of evading getting caught in an argument of any kind from spouses and in-laws, to our children and their friends, scientific or irrational, intelligent or dumb. May this be our contribution to humanity in the hope of making this world a better place.

I would have to totally disagree with your dad's statement, if the other person changes his/her mind then that argument is definitely won. It depends on your definition of "argument", if you mean a heated screaming match between two people than yes I agree, no one wins. However if you mean a debate, where two people sit down and discuss rationally a subject than my point stands.

My apologies Andrewp93 I always omit the rest of my dad's statement because I want to get a reaction from the other fellow. There is a "but if" or a "because" to that statement. And you got it perfectly.

It wasn't meant to be a trick or anything like that. I've been using that phrase since I joined here about 2 weeks ago. I think you're the first one who made a reaction. Thank you.

argument, debate and 'discussion' are all different sides of the same dice, i've changed my opinions based on a better evidenced and rationalised points more then once. unless i am the greatest human alive, I have to assume that at least a considerable amount of humans currently living can be reasoned with. I would thank you for providing me with a question of which the answer to applies to half the posts on this thread.

Poitter: I appreciate your opinions sincerely . . . but to thank me for providing you with that question is a flashpoint for an argument - wanna start? LOL

I know what worked on me. "If this is true, what else must be true." Reading Genesis like that forced me to acknowledge that it's claims about reality had to be horseshit.

"If this is true, what else must be true." I like that

It's yours to take and use as you like. It's been very helpful to me.

nope, no such thing because, in my opinion, religious people are not rational

over 90% of religious people, are raised from birth with no reason to question their beliefs. should we just assume All those people are irrational??

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1125
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.