Agnostic.com

24 4

Can there realy be universal truths?

Reality is the starting point. Truth is only a belief based our perception, so we each can have different truths. It was true for some people that the earth was flat once and it used to rotate around the sun. Truth can change as our perception changes. A universal truth is something that is true throughout space time so can such truth really exist?

Rugglesby 8 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Truth, as a concept, has to exist apart from perception, though our perception colors truth to form what we call reality. Truth is not a belief. Truth is what IS. If something is perceived incorrectly, or differently by different people, through space and time, it doesn’t change the thing itself. The Earth didn’t physically change from flat to round based on folks’ perceptions. The earth is what it is, no matter what we want to project onto it. Objective truth exists whether or not we perceive it, how we perceive it, and so on. There is no nuance to it, except what we provide.

My kinda girl. Truth is definitely not negotiable. Truth is fact, and facts are truthmakers. Bazinga!

I think our terminology differs, if I replace truth with reality, I agree with what you say. Reality is what is, existence exists regardless of how it is perceived, flawed or otherwise. Many people believe in the Big Bang Theory, to them it is proven true by many complex observations and for many projects, projects and projections it serves the purpose. It is not true to me, I don't accept all of it, there are other possible explanations for the observations. However I think the problem here is maybe I have used the term truth either incorrectly, or at least in a way that differs from others. Words aside, I agree with you.

It is reality that exists without perception. Perception requires observation. If a tree falls in a forest with no-one around to hear, does it still make a noise? I have the words the other way around, our perception colours reality to form what we call truth. And the earth isn't perfectly round, it hasn't always been roughly round and it is unlikely to remain round indefinitely. So we consider the earth being round as a truth, as it is "approximately" true for us, but it is far from a universal truth, it has not and will not be for all of time. To say that the earth is round now, also cannot be a universal truth because of the limitation of "now".

Your post seems to be equating truth with belief. Just because someone believes something to be true doesn't make it true. A universal truth would be reality just as it actually is. 2+2=4 That I would say is a universal truth because it is unthinkable for it to be otherwise. But then that's just my opinion.

Just my unclear way of expressing myself sadly. I consider truth and reality to be different. So to me, just because something is true to someone, doesn't make it real. But they believe it to be true, so it is true to them. The awkwardness of our words I think. If someone believes something that is not real, would not be called out by a lie detector. Because to them it is the truth however incorrect it may be. I regard truth as personal not universal, hence seeking universal truths.

Yes, I am equating truth to strongly held belief, perhaps i should have used that word instead.

I'm not sure I consider individual perceptions to be truths. I know it's common to hear people talk about what's true for themselves or about "honoring [their] truth," but I think some things are real independent of what anyone thinks. The universe doesn't, from what I can tell, need us to be right for it to keep on doing its thing. We could be wrong about every physical principle of the universe, and our beliefs wouldn't make our misapprehensions true.

Reality is totally independent of peoples truths, we could be wrong about everything ie our understanding of what is real is incorrect. 2 people facing one another, one says that tree is to the left, the other says it is to the right. Far too over simplified I know, for primitive people the sun revolved around the earth, that is not the reality, but to their understanding it was true.

YES! Thank you for that. I keep repeating myself with people who talk about "their truth". Truth is not relative, nor is it negotiable. When someone says that, I'll suggest they substitute the word "truth" for "opinion". It's important to see the difference. Otherwise, any kind of real truth can be denigrated.

@Rugglesby I think I'd avoid "truth" in these cases to avoid confusion. I understand what you're saying, but it seems like "perspective" is more precise and doesn't butt heads against less relative connotations of "truth."

Your reasoning is correct There are real facts which exist independent of us. They never really change. What changes is our limited and faulty perception of those facts.

there is your truth, my truth and the truth.

In the words of a past Prime Minister of Canada... "A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

I was so embarrassed...

yes, and "the truth" the ultimate truth, is what i would call reality. I always tell people there are at least 3 side to every argument, the side from the parties involved and the truth.

It seems to me that the physical laws of the universe are true at least in this one anyway.

Of course... And this is the only one I know of!

I would only give that one a maybe, the laws may be constant, but we don't know them all, as far as I know we don'y have a unified theory of relativity, suggesting tat both the existing theories are flawed. All the physical laws seem subject to change. So again, reality is, but our understanding is incomplete.

@Rugglesby , You're a tough nut to crack! The physical laws of this universe are not subject to change, only our understanding of them is.

Truth is not a belief. Believing in an invisible teapot or god does not make anything true. Believing you have the right to kill all redheads does not make it true. Believing that it’s okay for a district attorney in his 30’s to pick up 14 year old girls does not make it true. Believing that the white “race” is a race or the supreme race doesn’t make it true.

Believing those things may make the actions consistent with your moral code, but that does not make them “correct.” We may discuss moral relativism in terms of “universal truths” but those conversations are not actually about truth at all. The earth was never flat, and that is true throughout all space and time in this universe.

@The original post literally claims that truth is belief. I presented the issues that are in the grey area to discuss what is “correct” as opposed to what is “true” because I believe the term “universal truth” applies to moral issues and not measurable physical attributes. Those issues are inherently muddy.

the earth has not existed for all of space time, nor will it continue to do so. I love the solar teapot argument, I use it a lot. I use the term universal truth to try and give myself an understanding of reality. Universal truth remains constant throughout space time so can't be accountable to changing human moral values. And maybe it is ok to kill redheads as long as you eat the meat? I am a meat eater, my sense of morality can justify that, but this is coming to an end and I believe I will change my ways. Cannibals eat/ate humans, morally that was ok with them. We get eaten by sharks, I hate that idea, but it is not immoral. BTW, I am a ranga, ie redhead, so please, I was only joking when I said it was ok to eat us.

I never said the earth always was or that the earth was always round. I said the earth was never flat which is true both before and after the existence of the earth 😉 Gingers are only good in thin pickled slices with sushi and as breadmen, so most of you guys are safe

I always enjoy this conversation. When asked by religious and spiritual new agers "What is truth?" I tell them that truth is fact. Facts are truthmakers. Truth is non-negotiable. The term "that's your truth, not mine" so SO logically fallacious at the most basic level. Unalienable truths existed before we were born, and will exist after we're gone. We don't get to decide what truth is and isn't.

Most of these conversations can be resolved by substituting the word "truth" for "opinion". Try it; it works... Etymology is actually really important when it comes to differentiating between the two.

@jwm03h - I'm referring to facts that cannot be contradicted by other facts, such as the existence of the sun. Data collection of facts that do not wholly support a given observation are derivations of a truth, not truth itself.

agree totally, Etymology has been a big factor in a lot of this discussion, and if we partially solve that by using the same words, the majority of the discussion would conclude that it is our perception and understanding that is in error and the facts remain absolute.

The earth was always known to be round, Like a plate, don't fall off the edge!

The addition of any two positive integers is equal to a greater integer seems to be universally true.

@irascible - there are personal "opinions", not personal "truths". Truth and facts are non negotiable. The concept of "personal truth" is logically fallacious if you look up the meaning of "truth".

Theorems are true by definition.

Maybe 1+1 does not =2 in another dimension??

In another universe you mean? Perhaps, but there's no point speculating about that, especially when the discussion is about universal truths.

Or for very large values of 1 😉

Only if you are mixing apples and orenges.

If truth is a function of human effort then, No there are no universal truthes, As such truth would leave with us. The truth that could matter for such a definition of universal, would be apriori to mans existence. Outside of perception, outside of comprehension is where such truth would lie.

very good, thank you, have given me something else to consider.

All these rational views on objective or universal truth is very reassuring. Until we learn about subatomic particle experimentation and all our rational views on objective truth come into question. 1. Subatomic particles can appear in two places at once. 2. Subatomic particles reactions change when directly observed by humans. Finally, we don't know if the human eye can see every color that exists. We do know that the night sky looks different with special photographic equipment. What else are we missing?

In fact we do know that the human eye can NOT see every colour that exists uv and ir just for starters. Hence our term visible spectrum. What we learn about sub atomic particles will change a lot of what we now call knowledge in my opinion.

Interesting question. I have to go back to the scientific method as the best way for determining facts about our universe as we perceive it. In my opinion, as an individual, I can only determine truth based on evidence as my mental processes and senses allow me to. I often joke to my friends that I can’t decide whether I’m in a reality like the movie “The Truman Show” (where the characters life was a tv show and everyone else knew it but him) or if I’m in the movie “The Matrix” (whee my life is a complex computer simulation.) Either one could actually be true, but evidence, my mental processes, and my physical senses point me to the conclusion that it’s not so. So I can only follow the evidence as best I can and go where it leads me.

I say universal truth does exist, e.g. 1+1=2, and logical inconsistencies are impossible (like being all-powerful; do you have the power to create something you do not have the power to destroy? also, can you be omni-benevolent, omniscient, and omnipotent but still allow evil to exist?)

Like the speed of light?

I'm not totally convinced of that one yet.

the speed of light is not constant, it is supposedly so in a vacuum, the theory is also that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. And this is true, the universe expanded faster than the speed of light, it was an expansion of nothing but it did mover faster than light, it seems likely that nothing having mass can travel as fast as light, yet quantum entanglement seems to prove otherwise, the transfer of vibration between electrons in close proximity is instant. So I wonder if anything else, other than nothing can travel faster than light?

The famous "Speed of Dark". When you turn on a light, the dark was always there first.

If it's true here, then it must be true elsewhere.

Truth is truth. It is not subjective to belief.
Regardless what I believe, it does not make it true.

is that true? or do you just believe it is true? (joking)

@Rugglesby, ummmm... hmmmm Let me think on it!

Yes there are definitely universal truths. Math is it. If we are to discover the singularity of all , we must use the physics provided by nature, god, dog, whatever, But math is the true answer in regard to what shall follow.

EMC2 Level 8 Dec 29, 2017

Its called Physics.

Of course but you have to take the human element out of it. To me truth and reality are the same thing. It is up to us to recognize that fact.

There are universal truths, but I doubt that they would shed light on those things that mean the most to a person. Knowing the laws of physics does not provide us with "truth" the things we would hold most dear would be inherently subjective as they hold meaning to us.

"Existence is Pain" -Mr MeSeeks

That it's not from a certain perspective, sure.. Take the concept of yin and yang.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11254
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.