Agnostic.com

14 3

Isn't the most beautiful part being atheist, the freedom to say I don't know ?

• 21 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 33 votes
Darian 2 June 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, the most beauiful part is saying: Let me go and find out.

I would suggest that an atheist says they DO know! An agnostic would be more fluid in their statements

A theist takes a question (currently) without an answer and says "God did it!" An atheist honestly says "I don't know, but maybe we will figure it out in time. Like, for instance, why is the Planck constant what it is? I don't know, but perhaps, in time, someone will figure it out.

@MPendergraft Sorry, I thought to that argument an atheist would say God DIDN'T do it

@Geoffrey51 Yeah the "I don't know" thing is about causes of whatever happens, so, as an atheist, I can say "I don't know." Whereas, the theist is often obligated to give a god the credit - since the things left for him are becoming so few and far between, they have to get credit where they can. It tends to bring into conversations that initially have nothing to do with it. Very annoying if you live in the Bible belt.

@MPendergraft I can't imagine, it must be intellectually stifling!

I think its the freedom to say I don't care! and also I don't care to talk about it - its so unimportant to me! - tell me a joke!

jacpod Level 8 June 22, 2018

I don't think there's anything beautiful about it. I also don't think there's anything beautiful about "not skiing".

I was mind free prior to stating I am atheist. That is what got me there. Never do I accept anyones word as true until I understand it myself. So when religion was presented at early age I was already out the door to nature. NO way was that going to stick.

EMC2 Level 8 June 22, 2018

My answer for most questions of religion or origins is simply "I don't care". I honestly don't care about what others do or believe as long as they keep it to themselves and don't hurt anyone else.

The freedom to admit you don't know is one of the great things about unbelief. Theists can't sit with uncertainty, that's why they claim to know and have justified belief that there are god(s). Gods have in general been humanity's go-to explanation for the unknown.

On the other hand I answered Yes here only because of the limited choices. Arguably as, if not more, attractive to unbelief than intellectual honesty is intellectual freedom.

Being an atheist means you DO know.
Being an agnostic means you don't know.

No. Atheism is about belief, not knowledge.

Properly speaking an agnostic doesn't claim they don't know; they claim they CAN'T know.

An theists simply lacks belief because belief isn't substantiated and justified. Or more exactly, isn't substantiatable or justifiable. Which is why agnosticism and atheism are connected in that regard. One tends to lead to the other, at least if your position is well-considered and thought through. Most atheists ARE agnostics, according to how Huxley, who invented the term "agnostic" meant it.

@mordant I don't give flying rat's ass what Huxley had to say about anything.
I KNOW there are no gods.
Unless and until credible and verifiable evidence to contrary is presented, there is no reason for me to alter my position.

@KKGator That's fine. I have no particular reverence for Huxley, I only consider him the originator of "agnostic" and therefore he gets to define it, whether or not I agree with it. As such I consider some modern agnostics to not be faithful to that ... making them something other than an agnostic because they make it a personal uncertainty rather than a universal statement of info that's unobtanium. I would say someone who "isn't sure" is simply someone who sees the preponderance of evidence for gods at somewhere around 50%. To me that's not a considered view, but it's a view. Just not an agnostic one.

As for "knowing" there are no gods, it depends on your definition of "knowing". I think gods incredibly unlikely, so vanishingly unlikely that the semantic shortcut "there are no gods" (or, from a theist perspective, "your god doesn't exist" ) would be entirely fine, but for the fractious topic at hand. Because a supernatural god detectible only by the credulous device of religious faith is not disprovable philosophically, then I must take up the philosophically defensible position. This is not that I know there are no gods, but that there's no basis to afford belief concerning the matter.

However I know and respect that you and others are willing in effect to say "fuck it, there is no god, deal with it". I understand the sentiment, I just don't know how to defend it philosophically. And I don't want to give theists yet another opening to deflect from substantive debate by claiming I'm "arrogantly" claiming to prove a negative.

I'm agnostic. I don't know if there is a god or not. Nobody does.

I certainly don't believe in the Bible or a god creating earth who's looking over us.

There is another category where is even more beautiful to say I don't care...

It's the freedom to truly be honest with yourself. I mean, no matter what they profess, deep down, they can't believe that marlarkey.

I think it's being able to say "I wonder....."

How about "I don't care?"

The "Well. I don't know" option was so tempting, I just had to choose it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:112819
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.