Agnostic.com

45 0

Why are you athiest?

What made you go against common belielifs

Seanjohn 5 June 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most 'common beliefs' go against us and it has been happening for over 6,000 years. Atheism is tha nascent, natural state until fantasies are induced by family and society.

Critical Thinking Skills, Reason, Logic and a Sane, Rational Mind.

I was raised Catholic. No better indoctrination to atheism than that

When i realized that the god people looked up to was a sadistic ,selfish ,self centered psychopathic bully.

Which is why Xtians worship the Donald.

I don't understand the question...

Hutch Level 7 June 22, 2018

Because there is nothing in religion that makes even a little sense from a logical standpoint. Prayer is nothing more than wishing, miracles are nothing that can not be called an anomaly. If you can explain to me where heaven and hell are in the known universe, show me a soul leaving a body, maybe we could talk. And every religion has been used for nefarious purposes, for wars, to control the poor and for the benefit of the rich. I lived in Europe growing up, where religion doesn't have the stranglehold it does here in the US. I toured cathedrals where the displays of gold and jewels were dazzling, but questioned why this wealth was not used to feed the poor and heal the sick, rather than decor for ornate ceremony that did nothing to actually help anyone, other than give the bishops and pope luxury lifestyles.And those are just some of the reasons I am an Atheist. LOL

Respectfully, why are you asking that question on this forum?

We each is at a different stage, and experience, with respect to, at least, our awareness of our' not-believing commonly accepted adult fairy tales,

And, the most wonderful realization,, "There are others like me!"

There are no stupid questions.

@Jacar I didn't mean to imply it was a stupid question. Some may take a long time to arrive at agnosticism/atheism whilst others, who have a different perspective on world, people etc. and what life has taught them, will tend to decide sooner. Perspectives influencing decisions are always going to be variable, re astuteness, and I think more importantly, nationalities whose expected religious ideas are more ingrained in them, which they have little control over, excepting believing or rejecting.

I was never indoctrinated. So after a few religion classes which talked about all the largest religions I realized that none were true.

Because religion poisons everything. There is no way that so many hateful and/or violent people can be correct on the ultimate question. There's also no evidence that there is a god. If I can't see something with my own two eyes, then it isn't real. What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

I was raised to believe, and then given a Bible which I read. The God I was taught to believe in did not match the Gods presented in the Bible, and very, very few people actually read the Bible, they read parts of it over and over again.

At first, this seems to be a good question. However, on reflection, it fails. Change the terms and it looks silly. Why am i a non believer in unicorns. there is no need to ask, or answer.

Because I lack belief in the existence of a god. "Feelings" are not verifiable evidence. I think "god" is just a bunch of bullshit.

In a nutshell: Inoculation.

I got into learning about science before I ever heard about any gods...
When I did get to the Bible, I found that Genesis contradicted everything I understood to be true about the Universe...
So I decided it probably couldn't be trusted on the question of a God existing either.

That, and the fact that churches and what goes on inside them creeped me out enormously as a child.... I just wasn't made for religion.

Because I don't believe in God. Am I missing something?

godef Level 7 June 23, 2018

You may as well ask, "Why isn't everyone atheist?" Though, Ricky Gervais says it beautifully... "we're all atheists, I just believe in one less god than you."

It is better to keep asking questions than thinking you know the answers.

I have a scientific mind. There is no proof and none of these fuckers show their work. It's just a system of control. I'm not easily controlled.

History, Mythology, Archeology, Anthropology, Geology, Astronomy, Semiotics, Linguistics, and the Sumerians.

Etre Level 7 June 22, 2018

God made me do it !! ?????

My logic mandated it

granny Level 6 June 23, 2018

Didn't know religion or the god concept existed til I started school.
It sounded ridiculous when I did hear of it.
Nothing since has altered that initial assessment.

I'm an atheist, because as many others have said, there is a lack of sufficient evidence for any god.

Even if it was proved there was some creative force that brought the universe into existence - that still would not prove it was a god, or any one specific god.

Even if it was shown that evolution was not the correct theory, or mechanism of natural change, that still would not prove there was "intelligent design" or a "creator" or much less that said creator was a god, or once again, any one specific god.

Also, once I accepted there was no evidence for the existence of my brand of god (Yahweh/Jesus - the one I grew up with) that meant there was no existence for any other brand. Don't get me wrong, I was like most believers, I considered my beliefs reasonable - but those other religions were crazy.

I am now at a place that I consider myself an apatheist - even if a god was proven to exist, I wouldn't care. There is no god that is worthy of worship. The god of the bible is particularly heinous - he is the villain of that story, not Satan. So why would I want to worship him for eternity in heaven...and wouldn't Satan welcome me with open arms because of my resistance?!

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in the existence of a soul, or an after-life, but even if there is one, I wouldn't want what is offered by the christians....it literally sounds like hell.

This is a very good angle, I like it. I am not against common beliefs, therefore I am not an Atheist. I just don't care. It's pretty simple actually. I have friends and acquaintances from all possible denomination or the lack of. It's all the same to me. The only one premise I live by, no one gets to tell me what should I believe, as I don't tell anyone either.

"I am not against common beliefs, therefore I am not an Atheist" You obviously have a misconception about what defines an Atheist. Here is a definition that may help you better understand the term: a·the·ist ˈāTHēəst/Submit noun
a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods

@ledj whatever, it's semantics. You want to call me atheist then call me atheist. That's the best example I can give you that I truly don't care.

Because I escaped indoctrination.

It is reason.

It depends upon which god(s) one is referring too. There are different reasons to object or condone. Some 'gods' have more validity than others.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:113446
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.