Agnostic.com

45 0

Why are you athiest?

What made you go against common belielifs

Seanjohn 5 June 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments (26 - 45)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I dunno. It just seemed like a good idea at the time and, hell, I wasn't doing anything else, ya know?

Seriously, none of the stories they told me made any sense to my wee brain thing and the more they tried to explain, the worse it got. They left me no choice. Logic and reason ruled over the touchy-feely fairy tales.

Because I don’t believe in god; any god or gods. Since I was a child.

Logic.pure a d simple

@Seanjohn because it makes sense. It’s natural.

It is a rather interesting question .. With a touch of irony. All babies are born without religion, language or name. So being a stateless atheist or rather areligious anarchist is actually the natural state of affairs.
Later we get shrouded in various magic cloaks that transform us into theists and nationalists, aka patriots,

had a motorcycle accident

Some of us:

a From birth (the most blessed)
Never thinking of it within the circles of friends and family. Learning at some point that one is. As described by Jonathan Miller, Sam Harris,...

b Diminished exposure
on the cusp of here and there with a leaning toward agreement of those older

c Bathed from bath
A moment of clarity strikes deep enough
Matt Dillihunty, Seth Andrews,...

My childhood: Neither parent was interested, but did not interfere with their kidletts exploring.

We went with other's of our ages to all kinds of christian-cult Sunday meatings. I confess (always have wanted to 'say' those words) ,I only remember the bus rides. Memories might be suppressed. (One can only hope.) But what would be the point of wasting the energy.

Me:::::
Father was put off by the true insanity of his mother and her sister

Mother  attended way to much catholic school. 
JacarC Level 8 June 23, 2018

""Why are you athiest?""

To get to the other side.
JacarC Level 8 June 23, 2018

I was always on the fence growing up, but then my life changed drastically. I lost my wife and father within 5 weeks of my first child being born. She was only able to hold him twice. She spent 36 days on life support before she couldn't hang on anymore.

Blame my father's testicles and my mother's ovaries, and that's why I'm so beautiful. Next question.

Qiru Level 6 June 23, 2018

After looking at all the available evidence, it's the only thing that made sense.

Because I believe in science, and no matter how hard they try the two just do not mesh together. I was lucky to have parents that never pushed religion down my throat. I wonder if I would have been able to escape if so. I think I would.

Most 'common beliefs' go against us and it has been happening for over 6,000 years. Atheism is tha nascent, natural state until fantasies are induced by family and society.

I am an atheist ,because I was rebuked for my mind whenever it did not support the Bible. I did challenged pastors one after another only to discover the words they spoke were contradicting. It is as if , for example, my mother, herself, is a pastor and whenever she spoke of god , it does support with her own needs and wants.

I was bought up as a christian, an anglican. First I started to doubt the anglican church because of the hypocrisy I encountered. That left me without influence either way. Then over the years I slowly realized that religion and belief in supernatural beings had no foundation logically. Funnily enough, I did not feel anxious or fearful during the transformation. Just amazed that others were so unquestioning.

Why wouldn't l be?

I have been an Atheist my whole life. I was never indoctrinated into the silly notion that a god exists. I have to thank my parents for that.

My parent's raised me pretty much non-reglious. When I ended up reading and hearing what it said a lot of it contradiction itself, and some of it I don't agree with.

I like the common sense answer. But would rather ask how could anyone not be an athiest?

Atheism is not a thing in its self. And I'm not against common beliefs I just don't believe in them myself.

Nardi Level 7 June 22, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:113446
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.