Agnostic.com

13 9

Sam Harris

I think I am Probably the only person who finds Sam Harris extremely Annoying and am not sure exactly why.
I tend to agree with perhaps 65% of his logic. for the life of me, i cannot understand why this dude seems to get under my skin.

twshield 8 June 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ha! I was at the Real Time where him and Affleck went at it. Even thou I agree with Harris I was hoping Ben would knock his ass out! That should tell you all you need.

People with confidence and intelligence are sexy to me!

His overriding self confidence might be it... it can be irritating ....and a little off putting....?

He's a racist bastard. He needs calling out.

I'm constantly fighting racism where I work and living in the south I'm confronted with it a lot. I've been listening to sam for years, and I have never heard him utter a racist remark. Calling him a racist bastard would need some explanation I would think.

@Eazyduzzit

[vox.com]

[alaraby.co.uk]

@EWAAtheist

No. It's because if his acquiescence to race and intelligence crap.

@Ellatynemouth
If you listen to Sam's podcast where he interviews Charles Murray. He doesn't take a racist stance at all. He does acknowledge there is science showing there are differences in people, but he also makes it clear those differences in no way make one race inferior to another.

@Eazyduzzit

That's racist. It's offensive. It's what the Nazis used to justify their Holocaust

@EWAAtheist

Except you're in the white privilege camp.

I think having to deal with ignorant zealots and explaining he same old logic while banging your head against the proverbial brick wall would make someone condescending at times, or pretentious as you say. But when I compare him with say Dawkins, I'd consider him humble. In anycase, I do not care. These guys are out there fighting the logic fight and I am so glad about that.

I actually like sam.

Ditto.

At least he really gets Seinfeld.

I like what he talks about, but i think he's pretentious.

He has nothing on Christopher Hitchens even though he is just as smart. Just lacks that special charisma.

Nardi Level 7 June 22, 2018

@Renickulous I know that Hitchens spent lots of time in iraq and saw stuff first hand. Maybe too close to be objective? But how is Sam's blind spot on free will? genuine question please.

@Renickulous happy for the answer, just didnt want you to think i was trying to argue. So would you agree that Hitchens commanded a ton more charisma then Harris?

@Renickulous I must admit I loved his way of arguing. An encyclopaedia of information and a ridiculing delivery. I do try to emulate him but I need practice. Sam on the other hand could put me to sleep before i get his point.

You’re definitely not the only one. I can’t stand him. I never real could. Then after a few years of trying to give him a chance he was supporting asinine stuff like stop & frisk policies of the NYPD, and made some misogynistic comments but instead of apologizing came up with the “I can’t be a misogynist because I have a mom and a wife” sort of bullshit. It was just too much. I gave away the two books of his I had to people that wanted it and I just continue living my life without giving him much thought.

I admire him for the most part and enjoy listening to his talks. I do not agree with everything he says but the man is intelligent and articulate.

I think he's rather attractive. 😀

Me too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:113548
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.