Agnostic.com

18 2

If vaccines work, why should everyone get them still?

No, I’m not some anti-vaxer trying to rattle the whole thing with vaccinations, I just saw this question and I’ve been rattling it for some time. I’m not convinced it’s true, I just can’t come up with a reason for why it isn’t a valid question.

Basically the question is “if vaccines work so well, what is the big deal of one child not getting them? Even if the kid comes down with whatever the vaccines would otherwise prevent, but he/she is around kids who are vaccinated, what is the big deal if those kids are guaranteed not to be harmed since they are resistant to the infected kid’s disease?”

Adam7 4 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Is this for real? Oy vey.

It's a mathematical relationship known as "herd immunity."
herd im·mu·ni·ty
noun
noun: herd immunity; plural noun: herd immunities
the resistance to the spread of a contagious disease within a population that results if a sufficiently high proportion of individuals are immune to the disease, especially through vaccination.
"the level of vaccination needed to achieve herd immunity varies by disease but ranges from 83 to 94 percent"

My degree is in math with a physical science minor. I taught for a long time. I believe that many of our societal ills exist because so few people understand the underlying mathematical, statistical and science principles.

Great response!

It's a question of ethics. When nearly the whole population is vaccinated, the disease is exceedingly rare. Those few who choose not to get vaccines benefit from the fact that most others have done so. The vaccinated have incurred certain risks and costs associated with the vaccine in return for disease protection; the unvaccinated incur none of the costs yet receive most of the benefits. They are, in effect, freeloading on the vaccinated. This is unethical.

There's also the obvious consideration that as the number of unvacccinated increases, the population as a whole suffers from less effective disease prevention. The unvaccinated are betting that most people will be responsible and get the vaccine. The more unvaccinated there are in the population, the more risky it becomes to go without . So it's in the interest of those who choose not to get vaccinated to make sure that others make the opposite decision. Again, this is freeloading and clearly unethical.

Lalo Level 5 June 27, 2018

Genetics. Vaccines work when you get them but don't alter the genes and pass down to children. Germs and viruses still exist so continued vaccination still is necessary.

AmyLF Level 7 June 27, 2018

because the germ or virus is still out there and new babys need to be protected they don't die out and with the poles melting watch out for pandemics

with all the hand sanitizer and kids not playing outside its gonna be bad no immune systems in place

They can save your life.

You think because people get vaccinated that the bacteria which causes the diseases simply hops aboard a luxury space ship for a nice long vacation to Pluto?? Doesn't work that way. Vaccines don't make the disease go away. They just help the body build resistance to it.

1 . Because of adults, especially older ones, whoseimmunity may have gotten low.
2. Because of infants who may not yet be fully immunizeimmunized
3. Because when you choose to live in a society, you should not be part of the problem!

I am old enough to remember before polio could be vaccinated against, the fear in parents' faces as they cancelled yet another summer outing, being shown b&w movies about how much fun it was to live in an iron lung (still available on youtube!) after thursday lunch, yada yada.
Anti-vaccers are irresponsible assholes At Best!

Some people cannot get immunised such as babies and other special cases. When more people are vaccinated there's less chance for these people to catch the diseases .

Simon1 Level 7 June 27, 2018

I don't know... not a user.

It's to do with herd immunity, making the protected part of the population so large that the diseases can't thrive and also to protect the few who due to reasons beyond their control are unable to be vaccinated. Also the more people who don't vaccinate means there is a larger chance that disease causing agents mutate and overcome the protection that vaccines provide!

Pete66 Level 6 June 27, 2018

You're so right, LOL!

The Big Pharm medical society wants to make money on YOU.
All the time.
Throw people who take cannabis in jail, force alternate medicine doctors out of business, push toxic, addictive drugs!
Stop people from thinking for themselves, like how toxic mercury is.

Landmark Study Shows Half of Cancer Patients are Killed by Chemo — NOT Cancer [thefreethoughtproject.com]

BBC News - Growing evidence that cannabis oil can cure serious diseases like cancer [bbc.com]

BBC News - Magic mushrooms can 'reset' depressed brain [bbc.com]

There's also the problem of active resistance to vaccine programs from those who think they're an evil conspiracy.

Polio, to give an example, was on the verge of being effectively wiped out, when Muslim fundamentalists started spreading the word that the vaccine was part of a plot (by the US and the UN, no less) to covertly sterilize Muslims and destroy their religion. That's right, the vaccine could tell Muslims from Christians and Jews. Children went unvaccinated and within months the disease popped up again, not only in Nigeria, where this took place, but in Mecca and throughout the Middle East. Yet another example of the scurrilous interference of religion with science and health.

(A possibly even more shocking example of religious fearmongering: a Spanish Cardinal in the Vatican once warned Central American Catholics, some of the poorest and least educated, hence most vulnerable to this type of propaganda, that condoms are made with microscopic holes that actually let the AIDS virus pass through. Presumably he recommended a good prayer for disease prevention instead. It makes me wish I believed in a Hell so this guy could burn in it for a while.)

Is this even a question ?

??????????????

Tomas Level 7 June 27, 2018

Because the diseases are still around and if we stop vaccinations, they will return in force and kill or maim people. People from places where they don't have vaccines still cause them to be imported into areas where they are considered eradicated.

arnies Level 7 June 27, 2018

If we were talking about veterinary science we would call it a "herd health approach" The concern is not for any one individual; CDC Atlanta makes decisions for interest of "the herd" and homo sapiens are social animals

It has to do with the numbers. You're right, if everybody's vaccinated except one kid, he or she's the only one who can get the disease, but the more unvaccinated people there are, the easier things can spread, and everyone will never be vaccinated. There will always be people not vaccinated for various reasons. So to try to eliminate bad diseases, you have to vaccinate as many people as you can.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:116832
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.