Agnostic.com

7 1

I altered a friends bbq recipe. Am I wrong?

My friend let me use his recipe for carolina bbq ribs and I added coconut and cinnamon. He won't talk to me because I show no remorse.

Mountain-Heathen 5 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mortal sin!!! go to hell - just kiddin

This actually made me laugh. Is he 14?

For me, some of the fun in cooking is taking the recipes of others and tweaking and changing them up to suit my own ideas and tastes. I wouldn't expect my friends to have my same palate and I would certainly welcome experimentation with any recipes I provide. Heck, I might even like their take on the cuisine better than what I was doing with it. No way to know if you refuse appreciate creative differences. Anyway, you are friends, I hope you can work it out.

Yeah we're fine.

Recipes are just a guide and should never be followed exactly. I'm an excellent cook and baker who couldn't pass a cooking course to save my life because I'm incapable of following a recipe. I always have to look for ways to improve.

That's how I feel. Food seems to be one of those things where everyone wants to be an elitest about something.

There are very few recipes that ever make it out of my kitchen without mods. Even my own recipes get additions and substitutions when the mood strikes.

Same here! I find most of my recipes on AllRecipes. First I read through all the reviews and incorporate the most frequent changes other reviewers made. Then I have the recipe I will use. And, if I decide I want more or less of this or that next time, I update the recipe.

You can cook your food anyway you want , just don't publish it.

Remorse? What! It's a recipe.

Right!? I guess it's some weird southern thing that I'm not supposed to tamper with bbq too much. Kinda like how some people say pineapple or artichokes have no business on pizza. There's some strange indignation that comes with altering certain foods.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:117152
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.