Agnostic.com

38 9

Do you think that some atheists have the same blind devotion to science as they do to religion?

My reason for this comment is a conversation I recently had with someone over medication.
I made a comment that I prefer to not take any medication and use diet and nature whenever possible.
The person I was talking to freaked out and asked me how I could call myself an atheist, believer of science and yet I denied the benefit of modern medicine.

I tried to explain that I don't deny the benefits but I also understand that it isn't full proof either. How can people be so skeptical about religion but yet refuse to be skeptical about medicine?

I see so much hate for people who don't embrace all science without question from atheists. Doesn't being a skeptic also apply to other aspects of our lives?

Crimson67 8 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments (26 - 38)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’m not sure that Atheim means one must believe science. Science rarely tells us anything, for sure, and has caused mistreatment or mistake. Yes you should question it and how a scientific answer fits in relation to other options.

Science knows nothing for sure, even gravity is starting to be questioned, and often changes. Medical science is almost purely a con game to keep the wealthy alive and sell problematic products to the rest of us. Science does give us better theories than religion, however.

The first thing that came to mind, Medical Marijuana offers better relief over pharmaceuticals in many cases.

I posted some links about global warming and People have no interest in looking at the other side that man-made carbon dioxide is not causing global warming it probably is cosmic rays and the sun and the cloud cover density which it is believed that cosmic rays have an effect on cloud cover. Please do some research about this new information. And read some of my coming about global warming. Because there is no global warming now they changed it and call climate change and yes we have had climate change for millions of years so they cannot be wrong.

dc65 Level 7 Dec 31, 2017

I agree with you 100%. The person you were talking to was not listening to what you were saying, you said you try to control your health with diet but if it becomes necessary you will take the medication. Most medications have some side effects and you have to weigh the benefits over the harm they do with the side effects to what good they are doing for you if you need prescription drugs or over-the-counter drugs. An example high cholesterol there are people that cannot take Staton drugs like Lipitor because of the side effects. It is much better to control your cholesterol with diet. I'm speaking from experience.

dc65 Level 7 Dec 31, 2017

Medicine is a business. And I’m skeptical whenever someone is trying to sell me something. I think science as a pursuit of knowledge is perfectly reasonable, but when you mix in business and politics, the value of the pursuit becomes diluted. There is plenty of evidence where the scientific results of drug trials have been either falsified or slighted in the favor of business concerns. Sorry, I’m kinda cynical.

also science is in bed with the pharma industry so depending on whose research one reads there are many rivers to cross

I wouldn't "freak out" on you because we all have to take our own path. And whether or not one takes medicine has nothing to do with atheism. But being sceptical doesn't mean just doubting, it means following the evidence. Lack of evidence in a god lead me to atheism, and evidence that modern medicine works leads me to that. Just try and make sure your path is evidence based. Especially when it comes to medicine, it can be dangerous otherwise.

Faith is a worthless trait. If you aren't going to be evidence-based in what you believe then you have thrown out any criteria for believing anything at all. I believe, despite what the text may say, that even the biblical god believes this. Otherwise what is the point of all the claims about miricles?

i have the feeling most contributors are skeptics so even science [as cold as it can be ] may be up for interpretation

Devotion to science isn't blind. Science requires objective evidence for all claims and self-corrects over time when errors are made. Religion requires faith which is believing without evidence or, worse, believing despite evidence to the contrary.
Every medication approved by the FDA has been subject to rigorous testing. Mistakes do happen, of course, but they're discovered and corrected. You have far less reason to be skeptical about that than about the miraculous claims of religion. The research that goes into developing new medications is peer-reviewed and available for anyone to see. Science welcomes skepticism, religion withers away when exposed to it.

Except when one realizes that the maker of the drug does the clinical trials and not the FDA.

[fda.gov]

Yes. Fundamentalism of any sort is a blind faith. Critical thinking is hard. Picking an ideology of any sort and following it without question is lazy at best.

I don't think science encourages blind devotion. Science welcomes questioning and testing. Science is challenged all the time.

I too prefer not to take medications, not for "science" but because I don' t trust big pharma. Big Pharma does not want cures, they want customers. Just tell them Question EVERYTHING, and follow the money.

Exactly. It isn't pure science. It's driven by profits, not the good of humanity. And I agree that they aren't interested in cures. They're interested in making everything a manageable chronic illness, managed by their drugs of course.

[sciencebasedmedicine.org]

And Big Pharma who spends big bucks to lobby congress and raises the price of drugs already on the market is to be trusted? It is so easy to get "peer reviewed" articles published. I choose to be skeptical and take drugs only when absolutely necessary. [facebook.com]

I won't say pharmaceutical companies aren't looking for ways to maximize their profits and there haven't been some morally questionable actions on the business side. I can't abide claims of withholding cures to deadly ailments or intentionally keeping people in a state of perpetual sickness. That's conspiracy talk and where I draw the line.

Jeez, they must not pay attention to the side effects on most medication !
And all the opioid addiction from prescription medications.

I have not encountered such blind devotion on any atheist or agnostics I met...I am skeptical of many things not just religion, medicine, law...

good one .... law. it is a bachelor of ARTS in uni. says alot

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11737
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.