Agnostic.com

20 5

SHOULD WE UPDATE THE 10 COMANDMENTS?

1.Thou shalt worship Yhwy before all the other gods.
2.Thou shalt not make, own, wear or display any images pictures, pendants or statues of any, person, deity or religious object, including these 10 commandments.
3.Thou shalt not, while cussing, use the name Yhwy.
4.Thou shalt remember Saturday and keep it holy.
5.Thou shalt honor your parents and if your kids misbehave, kill them.
6.Thou shalt not kill with the exception of; unruly children, non-virgin brides, etc. (too many to list)
7.Thou shalt not fuck thy neighbors wife.
8.Thou shalt not steal, except for land, cattle and women of heathens who you have killed.
9.Thou shalt not lie, even if that dress does make her butt look fat.
10.Thou shalt not covet, except for the land, cattle and women of heathens.

TommyMeador 7 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, that version is at least more honest! There are actually a number of serious, "modern" versions of the '10 commandments' online, & some of them are very thoughtful & thought-provoking.

You are right... and I actually really like this one...

The Standard Ten Commandments: Believed to have been written by the Long Island Secular Humanists in 1999:

We, the members of the human community speak these words, saying.

We shall not limit freedom of thought.
We shall not cause unnecessary harm to any living thing or the environment.
We shall be respectful of the rights of others.
We shall be honest.
We shall be responsible for our actions.
We shall be fair in all matters to all persons.
We shall be considerate of the happiness and well being of others.
We shall be reasonable in our actions.
We shall nurture these values by word & deed in our children, family, friends and acquaintances.
We shall not limit inquiring or testing by their consequences, on any matter, including these Commandments.

Why? Most people don't follow them anyway. Besides, god ain't real.

Here is ten of mine
1, Tho shalt not make any decision whilst wanting to take a piss.
2, Tho shalt not play poker with any man who has a first name of a town.
3, Tho shalt not date any woman with a dagger tattoo.
4, Tho shalt not play pool for money with any man who owns his own table
5, Tho shalt always say yes to a party.
6, Tho shalt not denigrate any art unless one can do better.
7, Tho shalt strive to try everything at least once, with the exception of incest and line dancing.
8,Tho shalt not make any reference to a woman's weight. However obliquely, it is simply the elephant in the room.
9,Tho shalt not listen to Christian rock. For it is an abomination
10, Tho shalt not do any deed illegal or immoral for a sum less than £5

Line dancing? 🙂 😟 🙂

@TommyMeador Yes line dancing. Christian rock in motion

@TommyMeador Does that break your achie breakie heart?

Not everybody can be the product of Texas Honky Tonks.

1. Thou shalt not be blinded by faith, and question everything.

Sure amend them, get congress to do it. What could possibly go wrong.

Please, NOT congress!!! The horror!

How about the 10 commandments of Solon?

1. Trust good character more than promises.
  2. Do not speak falsely.
  3. Do good things.
  4. Do not be hasty in making friends, but do not abandon them once made.
  5. Learn to obey before you command.
  6. When giving advice, do not recommend what is most pleasing, but what is most useful.
  7. Make reason your supreme commander.
  8. Do not associate with people who do bad things.
  9. Honor the gods.
  10. Have regard for your parents.

(Yeah, 9 is still a bit off, but it was the Greeks after all.)

Source:

Yeah, not bad but for that # 9. Maybe change that to just "Respect everyone"?

@phxbillcee Maybe. Or "honor nature" or "remember you are a part of things bigger than yourself"

I would not consider fixing a lead sled. I would consider what task must be accomplished and then consider what and how to accomplish it. A sled my not have been the best tool for flying, reworking a lead one would be a waste of time.

Can I be any more emphatic that it's completely worthless?

Seems like there ought to be one about reading the bible on the toilet.

What people need to do is read, know and follow the criminal and civil codes of their State. Those are supremely better thought through and appropriate codes for guiding a modern society. Which is why we have invested so much time in creating them - and without pretending they were written by anyone other than right minded humans capable of understanding the value of social order. Nuanced secular self governance... Good. Generalized Commandments from on high... Bad. (But I do appreciate the general gyst of calling out the hypocracy of the bible and contemporary evangelicals)

I agree with read & know your applicable civil Codes, but sometimes one just can't follow. Some laws are just bad, archaic or biased & need to be challenged at times.

Did you know there were 15 originally??? Bet the evangelicals don't know that....lol.

Actually, when you go thru Exodus there are many more than just those 15, even, in order to "obey" Mosaic law. & even in the case your citing, the 15 & the 10 differ on many "commandments"! You'd think god could have remembered more accurately in just the time between the originals being smashed by a p.o.'d Moses & the revision!

Not update. Just simplify. "Don't do to others what you'd not like done to you"

What inspired me was wondering what the religious right would think of putting my version in front of the court house.

Oh heaven's to betsy....dats some funny shit! I may have to pirate your material. Commandment #9 is my favorite.

Is not my responsibility to update something I don't believe in. I may had broken 9 of the 10. And I am Not asking for Absolution so they can stay how they are. I am too busy doing Nothing to bother about Nothing.

What inspired me was wondering what the religious right would think of putting my version in front of the court house.

@TommyMeador That's cool like hell, how often a judge during sentencing bring up the 10 commandments?

Cool.

#ogtirof, posted exactly what came to mind when I saw this question. George C put this into perspective which makes the most common sense and rational thought of anything I have ever heard. If ONLY George were still alive, what a field day he would be having with this dump admin and circus of goons along with all the religious overtones spewed out with it.

1. Thou shalt not visit any website other than agnostic.com.

... to be continued. 🙂

Ha ha ha I like that!

I only need two:

1. Be excellent to each other
  2. Party on dudes!
d_day Level 7 Dec 31, 2017

Commandment #1. Make no commandments.

Well shucks, where's the fun in that?

How about:
Commandment #1: have sex whenever possible. ?

thou shalt not kill. thou shalt not commit violence against another. .... that should do it

Haven't they already been unofficially updated? Except for the child murders, it's all been done.

Betty Level 8 Dec 31, 2017

I was not aware that I might be stepping on someone elses material. I just wroth what popped into my head. My bad.

@TommyMeador

Wasn't chastising you. 😛

Christians have been breaking the original rules for centuries, your list points it out. 🙂

One of my points is that the ten commandments are not a Christian document but a Jewish document. 🙂

@TommyMeador

Isn't that what religion does. Take from the previous and claim it for their own?

Yes but don't they usually do a little editing to make them fit their myths?

Of course, the xtian savior was a Jew & preached to Jews, it was Saul/Paul that started spreading it to the Gentiles. Also, Jesus said not a "tittle or jot" of the law (O.T. law) would be changed.

@TommyMeador

When it suits their purpose.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11741
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.