Agnostic.com

6 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Plenty of it when I was in the Army, whenever we were asked to bow our heads in prayer I kept mine held high. No amount of sky daddy is going to protect us, nor bring our fallen soldiers back to life.

I understood that it was a form of comfort to those who had little, or those who already found comfort within it. Yet I found no such feeling myself, and therefore did not feel obliged to participate.

the entire air force is religiousness to the max. that's the only way one can justify a pilot's evil deeds= forgiveness ! what a crock

I have noticed a LOT of religious stuff and prayer within the army. I have a son who is a new 2nd Lt and a boy at west point. I have not asked them what they think about it. It's a tough enough choice to serve...

I was in the military 1962-1970 with tours in Vietnam as a Corpsman with a Marine infantry. Follow in active duty spent 1970-2005 in National Guard as a Medical Officer. The only "Religious" push was in boot camp. May have been different experiences from WWII and Korea, however, there was No requirement to attend religious services.

I had my own way of fighting religious indoctrination in the military almost 60 years ago. I was stationed in the US Army Hospital Berlin and we enlisted men had "character guidance" sessions every other Tuesday afternoon, conducted by a chaplain. The sessions were simply religious and patriotic indoctrination sessions. Three of us (all intelligent, educated, and iconoclastic)decided to enliven the sessions.

The chaplain would pose a moral, religious, or patriotic question, expecting a stock answer. One of us, usually me, would respond with a totally unexpected answer. Then at ky points during the argument, one of the others of us would chime in with good, strong, and well-formulated support. Between the three of us, we would take over the discussion and steer it in directions of our choosing. It was fun seeing the chaplain struggling unsuccessfully to regain control. Also higher ranking NCOs would try to argue back, but could not match us. They would reach a point at which they would would scream at us in anger,. When they did, we sat back and grinned, knowing that we had won..

Good story.

very good story

And there's nationalism indoctrination within the military too. No one is going to join the military with the expectation of being killed for no glory. So glory is sold to the personnel.

If they get injured and return home however; they'll soon find out what their government really thinks about them.

Truer word were never spoken.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:117899
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.