Agnostic.com

6 1

Soul stuff

I'm reading a good book right now by a Jungian analyst, Dr. James Hollis. It's called.. Living the examined life. he constantly refers to the soul. I know that the concept of soul has been debated for centuries. I follow a Buddhist philosophy so i don't accept the notion of soul. How about all you folks in our group? I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks..

Tommy19 7 June 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Einstein showed that all matter is a form of energy, so since energy can neither be created nor destroyed, we have always existed and will always exist in some energy form. No reason to think energy souls don't exist, and quantum physics already proves that multiple dimensions exist.

There could be reincarnation, for that matter. "For us believing physicists, the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." -Einstein.

what is the exact location of the soul

I don't think there is a soul in the commonly used way. I do think there's a unified body/mind sense in which it's true. A deeper self, so to speak. Though even that is just our perception rather than a fact in the scientific sense.

I agree with other posters that it would depend on how he defines and uses the term "soul". Personally I'd avoid that term as it's heavily freighted with religious meaning and symbolism -- unless I mean exactly what religion means by "soul", which is, the alleged spiritual and immaterial and immortal part of a being -- often used semi-interchangeably with "spirit".

As a physical naturalist I do not believe there is anything "immaterial" or "supernatural".

I think that most people would love the idea of having a soul, it's a great thing to have and probably why the idea of having a soul is so popular down through the ages. I don't have any proof that I have such a thing as a soul but it certainly doesn't seem to be getting in my way if I do. So if it turns out that I do have a soul after my body is dead, I'm 99.9% certain that I have a body, then I can address that issue when it manifests itself - or not.

He may have been using the term as a metaphor for consciousness, or specifically the combination of id, ego, super-ego and consciousness that makes up the core of an individual's personality, rather than to refer to the concept of an immortal soul - but I haven't read the book, so no idea. If so, he'd have been wise to add an explanation of why he chose to use and what he means when he uses such a weighted term, though.

Jnei Level 8 June 28, 2018

The problem with metaphors is people use the metaphor and then start taking them literally.

Thank you for this. You are right, he does use it sometimes referring to consciousness but I one 4 page chapter he uses the word 12 times! He is a Jungian psychologist so I'm a bit surprised because Jung had way more insight to offer, and he hardly mentions soul. He does however use..animus and individuation. Thanks again.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:117910
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.